3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best month ever - another exciting TX hunt  (Read 866 times)

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best month ever - another exciting TX hunt
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
The pics really don't do him justice, but the ranch manager said this hog was as big or bigger than any hog that had ever been shot on the ranch.  How lucky am I to have had a shot at this boar just a few days later and a couple yards away from the nice boar I shot earlier.

If I had taken my 50# thunderchild, I would have eclipsed the one ton mark with that bow.  The arrows that dirtybird made me using Forrester leopardwood shafts did a great job.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
I hit him pretty good, taking out a portion of both lungs and cutting off the big vessels coming out of the heart.  Here are the cuts on the inside of the chest.  I don't really understand why the entry wound is higher than the exit, since I was seated.  The only thing I can figure is that the hog was on edge and still not settled when I shot, and that it ducked/rolled a little toward me on the shot preparing to bolt out of there. The broadhead buried in the offside shoulder.   I can't begin to describe how thick the hide was, even behind the shield.   I am glad that I had all of the bow that I had, and that I had got my Simmmons Tigershark heads incredibly sharp by honing them once I was seated at my spot.

T

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
Awesome Pat!! That spotted boar looks like a brute. Good to hear he was down when you got close to him.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
I opted not to hunt on Tuesday, but to do everything that I could to help Dustin get an opportunity to shoot a javelin.  I took him to his spot and put corn on the road for him, vowing to check on him later and corn the road if necessary.  He told me he would sit all day if that is what it took.  Even though I had promised Dustin all of the meat since my freezer was full, I decided to go back and start butchering the hog.  I can't believe I didn't get a hernia just getting it off the rack to bring it to the processing area from the cooler, but I got it done.  Karl was in town dropping off a tractor, but when he returned I offered to go along with him to fill the feeders.  I figured I could come up with a good place for Dustin for the evening hunt, and we would go right by Dustin along the route.  Around noon we were driving along a gas line when a sounder of around 12-15 small to medium size adult hogs and bunches of little piglets came out to feed.  Pretty cool, as the fed until the wind shifted and they winded us.  Then they scampered away pretty quick.  20 minutes later, and we approached Dustin, who was at the base of his tripod, shaking his bow, as we approach.  I knew that he had scored and nearly screamed as much.  I knew how much this meant to him.  Here is a pic, but I think I can do better.  He got most of the shot on a gopro camera, and it is on youtube.  I will try to post the link.

He was shooting a liberty elite longbow and a treeshark broadhead mounted on carbonwood shaft. shafts.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
Dustin went out and shot a few rabbits that night, we packed up, and headed home this morning.  OK, that is all for now.  Gotta get some shuteye.  Driving my wife to the hospital in a little over 4 hours.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 01:28:00 AM »
Congrats Pat,great job,you have to eat pork for the rest of the year.LOL
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
Great story and congrats on the bacon! THXS FOR SHARING!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Excellent hunting Pat. Stacking up the chops.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
My grandson and I along with my friend Bill and a few folks from Michigan will be down there on March 9th for a week of chasing the critters. Looking forward to bringing home some bacon.

Good shooting you guys.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
I heard Jim Belcher will be down at that time.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Jim and others are the folks from Michigan that I mentioned. I'm gonna stick a pig with my 300 year old yew Union Jack that Jim built for me.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Congrats on the hunt. Thanks for the stories an pics.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
That is awrsome, Ric.  Good luck with that bow.  When I asked Karl if he gets many trad guys, he said Jim Belcher comes down.  He was surprised that I knew who he was, but I assured him that Jim wouldn't know who I was, lol.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Congrats Pat and Dustin, your freezer had ought to be full by now Pat.  :thumbsup:  Missed my Texas hunt this year first time in 12-13 yrs!

Thanks for taking me hog hunting! As you know what it's like to have hog killin and longbows in your blood.
hunt it

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
Very timely post. Danny and I are getting our gear together and sharpening broadheads. Looking forward to the Lincoln Ranch experience with Jim Belcher. Thanks for sharing.   :thumbsup:

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 11:45:00 AM »
Sorry for responding to you as if your name is Ric, Danny.  I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed.  Good luck to you and Bill.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Congrats to the both of you and cool video with the go pro.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
Good job Pat. Lotta pork there.RC

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
That would be fun getting that many shot opportunities. From the looks of it you took advantage of most of them....

My first Texas hog hunt was a joke... 4 days and never even saw a pig track.    :rolleyes:    :rolleyes:  

What part of Texas were you in Pat?

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
This last hunt was South Texas, around 25 miles north of Laredo.  The first hunt was just east of Benjamin, Texas.  Kirk, I am claiming more luck than skill this month, both with the number of opportunities as well as the results.  Even when I made subpar hits, I was able to recover the hogs.

Thanks Robert, and everyone else for the kind words.   I wish it worked out like this all of the time.

Dave, nothing like getting back and finding that the 2 leopardwood arrows that were broken on the last 2 hunts were replaced by these beautiful red balau arrows.  They should tune up great out of the 60# thunderchild.  They look awesome, even if the pics don't show the cools swirls in the blue crown.  Thanks a million.  You are the man.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©