3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Twisted limb on a new Martin bow  (Read 437 times)

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
Twisted limb on a new Martin bow
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:29:00 AM »
Hi!

Just asking your opinion. I received my Martin Hunter few days ago. I had ordered it 14 WEEKS AGO! I paid the reservation payment (half of the price) when ordering and the rest of it now.
The bow is amazing but it has a very slight twist on the upper limb. String doesn't return to the string groove when loosening my draw. It settles about 1-1.5cm to the right.
Sometimes it slides slowly back to the groove, sometimes it needs a push.
Should I just ignore it because it doesn't affect on shooting?
I just feel little dissapointed to having waited for 14 weeks and paid 720$ all together. Nothing but a perfect product would be fair.
  :dunno:
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS 62" 60#
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Mukkanuoli Toorum 60" 56#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Twisted limb on a new Martin bow
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
I would call Martin Archery and discuss it with them. I am sure you could return it for repair or replacement.
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
I had a Martin Hunter gain too much tiller on the top limb, called Martin and they said "send it in", they sent it bad redone.
Just call

Offline SARarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
Absolutely call them and send it back.  That's entirely too much money to spend for subpar work.  I was a big fan of Martin and owned 3-4 new bows ordered over the past 3 years.  Everyone had a flaw of some sort.  Their quality control has been severely lacking the past few years.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@28"

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
They hasn't answered my e-mail yet that I sent 3 days ago. I would definately return the bow, but I affraid that it's taking weeks or months to get replacement because I live in Finland.
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Send it back.

They will make good

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
A minor twist like you describe can be fixed by yourself very quickly and without the hassles of shipping and return.  Do a search here on limb twist and get a ton of answers.

Personally, I have repaired many such flaws.  Here's my quick fix plan:

1.  string bow and slowly heat affected limb with hair dryer until warm (NOT HOT). No hot water either.

2.  grasp bow with one hand below string grove and grasp tip with other hand and twist slightly in opposite direction (hold for about 20 seconds)

3.  repeat step #2 several times.

4.  leave bow strung and hang horizontally.

5.  check periodically to see if string returns to groove when you pull and let down.  repeat process if necessary.

I am sure that this is a minor problem you can remedy.

Yes, I know you should not have to deal with this on a new bow, BUT sometimes it's best.

Good luck...
Lon Scott

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
That's why I build recurves with narrow limbs & deeper cores.

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
I don't know what's Martin warranty policy if I try to twist the limb back and it doesn't work or I ruin it somehow. Otherwise I would try it right away
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 05:32:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies, maybe just wait answer fron Martin and the decide what to do
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline danbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Good idea, no sense taking a chance on that big of investment!
"Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
It's been over a week when I first time sent e-mail to Martin. No replies.
What a great customer service is that  :mad:
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
I had the same issue and sent the bow back. Can't believe how they keep selling twisted limbs like this. And when I call, the guy I'm looking for either it's the technician or the online person they are always out of the office.

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
Is the string not going back into the groove when you let the string down slowly AND after shooting?

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
It's one thing if a limb becomes twisted during use, another if it starts with a twist.  Could be a fundamental defect in materials or manufacture.  I'd send it back.

Martin Archery is under new management.  I hope they treat you well.

http://union-bulletin.com/news/2013/oct/05/new-martin-archery-owners-could-take-over-month/

Offline Fourfletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Don't feel bad . A year ago I received a new $1,000 Black Widow PSA with a twisted limb. No quality bow should leave the manufacturer in that condition. I did get my money refunded. I believe in Widow bows, so I reordered a new Black Widow,PSA-X . I got the new bow five weeks later with good limbs, but that asbell grip I ordered was not to my approval. Their "golden rule" philosophy comes up a little short in my opinion.My bow shoots OK, but I don't care for the grip.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
I agree you shouldn't have to deal with this on a brand new bow, BUT... under the circumstances why not try  to straighten it? There is no way you can ruin the bow, and chances are it will straighten very easily. I have straightened dozens of twisted limbs over the years JMO.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
I had a problem with a Martin bow once and called them.  They had me ship it back to them and they fixed it at no charge.  They were great folks to work with.  Just call them, they are great people and willing and wanting to make things right.  They make great bows and in my experience they stand behind them 100%

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
Trying to straighten the limb on a recurve bow when it is strung is a very good way to ruin a perfectly good limb.... you should never apply heat to a limb when its strung.... that's asking for trouble....

There are a lot of good methods you can easily fix it yourself... but if the limb has an alignment problem, it will never stay straight.

Can you have someone else look at it for you and check the alignment?  Kirk

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 07:11:00 AM »
Since I last time read this thread, I've been trying to twist the limb back without heating it and with heating it by keeping the limb under warm water for few minutes.
I think this maybe isn't a twist after all. More like limb tip alignment issue or something. The limb is PERFECTLY straight till the bottom of the curve and the very tip of the limb is like few millimeters to the right (toward sight window in my case; lefty bow).
It's hard to tell how much the string actually bypasses the groove. But for comparison the lower limb is going straight to the groove and upper limb goes sometimes smoothly by "slipping" to the groove and sometimes it bypasses it but then starts to slide back to groove.
When the bow is in normal state (strung)the string of course stays still. When the string leaves from the groove and doesn't touch the limb anymore it is like one centimeter of the line, i think.
When I'm shooting the bow the string of course finds it's way back to the groove because of the vibration of the limb. It may cause more noise tough.
I've been exchanging e-mails with the Finnish reseller and he's suggested that try straightening it myself before sending it back.
I don't have former experince about this kind of issue and I don't know how much it have actual effect on anything.
Sending the bow back is the final thing I will try because i know for sure that it will be like 3 months operation.
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©