3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantages or Disadvantages of 66" ACS CX Longbow vs 64" and 62" ACS CX Longbow  (Read 488 times)

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 66" ACS CX longbow vs a 64" or 62" ACS CX longbow?  For purposes of comparison, assume a draw length of 2*'.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Bill!!! You still buying bows!!! LOL....Your going to need another additon to the house   :eek:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Joe,

I sell one or two when I buy one.    :D

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jim Parsell

• Trad Bowhunter
Bill, I favor the 66in. in the CX..  Both are excellent bows as you well know, however, that extra 2 in. makes a difference to me in the smoothness of draw..  Jim

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Jim,

Thanks!  Believe it or not, as Ripley would say, I've never shot an ACS CX, let alone owned one.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a 62" ACS CX and It is so smooth and quiet I don't know why you would need a longer one.  I draw at 29.5 and she is flat out silky smooth.  It is really a sweet rig.  Forgot to mention it is 53# at 28" and is 56# at my draw length.
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Mine will be 66", 45#@28", my draw length, and I suspect it will be silky smooth and quiet, too.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
My CX is 62"; I ordered that based on my 27" draw, and it is a good length for hunting. I have not shot the longer ones but I'm sure they would work fine too- the longer ones would be smoother and perhaps not quite as handy in the bush.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bill for your draw length any of them would work fine. I have a 64" and it draws fine to 30". Now quiet will take some work on your part. It does have the low carbon strum and you need to get your string silencers and brace height just right to quiet that down. Fast and smooth bows for sure.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
David,

Are you talking about the sound a big surface popper makes when you lightly twitch the tip of the rod and get it to "plooop"?  I remember that sound with the ACS bows I had when I first got them.  I was able to get the bows tuned to get rid of the sound, at least for my ears.  That was before I got hearing aids.  Now I hear EVERYTHING when shooting indoors at the Archery Shop!     :(    :scared:    :D    

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sounds like a low thrumm to me until I get it right.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
I have a new 64" 55@ my 27" draw. Very smooth. I've settled in at 7 1/4" which is the upper end of the recommended brace range. It got significantly quieter as I went from 7 to 7 1/4. I'm shooting a 570 gr axis 400(100grain brass insert and 200gr point)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
I have owned several. The limb length made little difference to me. The biggest differnece is the risers. The metal riser shot better, it seemed to be more steady in the hand, the extra weight held more steady.
John

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by texbow2:
I have a new 64" 55@ my 27" draw. Very smooth. I've settled in at 7 1/4" which is the upper end of the recommended brace range. It got significantly quieter as I went from 7 to 7 1/4. I'm shooting a 570 gr axis 400(100grain brass insert and 200gr point)
texbow2,

Your experience with BH is pretty much the standard from what I've been reading.  The fella from whom I bought the bow, ccollier/Shane, was using Beman MFX 500 arrows with a 100 gr insert and 125 gr point with the 45#@28" limbs on the Cocobolo risered CX.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Well, I now have a 64", 52#@28" ACS CX.  I traded the 66", 45# limbs for the set of 64", 52# limbs.  The 7# difference does not change the smoothness, the quietness nor the deadness in the hand of the bow.  However, it does redefine fast for me.  I'm shooting 30.5" Easton Axis 400s with 125 gr points and 29" Beman MFX 500s with 125 gr points.  The 8.4 gr/pdf Axis 400s groups with the 8.1 gr/pdf MFX 500s.  The bow shoots flat to 20 yards and then I have to aim higher just a hair at 25 yards.  It shot a 2013 which weighs the same as the MFX 500s through the chrony at 195 fps Saturday.  That is with a string set up for hunting.

This bow is a phenomenal shooting bows.  I've made similar remarks about quite a few bows.  I would have to rank the bows I've owned in the following order:

1.  ACS CX
2.  Crow Creek Black Feather LB
3.  Dale Stahl T/D Recurve & Hybrid LB
4.  Border Black Douglas T/D Recurve
5.  Robertson Vision Falcon T/D Recurve

They're all great shooting bows.  The only two that are presently in my stable of bows are the ACS CX and Crow Creek Black Feather LBs.  There are some other great bows I've owned, but these rank as my top 5, IMHO.

Below is a pic that is similar to my ACS CX.  It came from the A&H site.  The Cocobolo on my ACS CX is a good bit darker and the riser was made by OL and the limbs by A&H.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Bill, Shane's bow is one of the wood risers that I shot that made me get on the list. The first shot so much better than the aluminum riser for me I thought it a fluke...then I shot shane's and it was the same. Not sure why, but sure shoots better for me.

As far as the length, I only draw 27". I have been very happy with some bows in the 48" range, and very unhappy with some that were 64". In my opinion, it's all in the design. For the type of hunting I do, I prefer shorter bows, but am on the list for an ACS anyway   ;)  , 62" until they come up with something shorter.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
JC,

I don't know if he still offers them in the ACS CX one piece bows or not, but back before the CX, OL was offering the one piece ACS in 58" length and possibly shorter.  I know Mike Gemind, Shrewshooter/Beartracker, shot the shorter version as he, too, had a shorter draw length.  As I recall, Mike's draw length is 26".

I wouldn't mind having a T/D in 58" or 60" length.  I had a one piece Dale Stahl hybrid LB that I believe was 58".  It was one sweet shooting LB and was very manueverable.

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline foudarme

• Trad Bowhunter
my ACS CX is 62", 64#@28, and my draw length is 28"...if I overdraw it over 29", it stacks quickly..I have another one in order, I will take a 64" one and will try to get an heavier limbs' set (I would like to get a 80# limbs' set what is my favorite draw weight but don't know if A&H will agree with it)...

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
foudarme,

Is your 60" CX a one piece or a three piece?

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Bill, I'm set on the A&H ACS CX 3pc....just wish they did a 56-58"...but will take what they end up building.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©