3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: opinions on a reflection  (Read 350 times)

Offline Lordswarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
opinions on a reflection
« on: February 28, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
so as i sit here recovering from a double hernia surgery, i have had plenty of time to think back on 30+ years of hunting. after having hunted in large clubs , with small groups of friends, and solo ; on public land, private, and guided hunts, i have come to my own humble thesis:
hunting alone makes you a better hunter; hunting with friends makes hunting better.
any opinions??
1 Samuel 17:1-58 ... read it and decide; are you a watcher or a warrior?
Bezaleel Real McCoy 46#
Bezaleel Cougar 53#
Bezaleel Cougar 55#
Bezaleel lynx 55#
Leon Stewart Slammer 52#
Maddog Prairie pred. 45#
66 kodiak,68 k hunter

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: opinions on a reflection
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
I agree completely, for some reason when I am hunting with someone I tend to move faster than when I'm alone. (Spot and stalk) alone I take each step methodically and with someone else I tend to cover more ground with lesser results. Of course. So alone I feel I'm a better hunter. But I also cherish the times I get to hunt with close friends and family. I wouldn't trade either one for the other!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
Good Point! I try to do both during the season... Hunting alone is cool with time not becoming an issue... A partner needs to be met with at a certin time and or place... It's all good!

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 02:09:00 PM »
I like to hunt when I want to hunt. I like to stop hunting when I want to stop. I like to hunt with others that hunt the same way. Hunting with others from a camp can make the hunt go this way. It's my favorite way.

Offline woodslinger

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
I hunt with one other person and this makes us both more successful hunters. Either stand hunting or stillhunting the two of us are much more successfull hunting together than alone.

We have the same style and personality and can cover twice as many stands or still hunt twice as much cover than alone and this doubles our chances at deer. In my opinion A good hunting partner is worth their weight in gold. Also makes the drag much easier!
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
Hunting with others is fun for me, but I never feel as though I'm recharging my batteries on a personal level and I don't take it too seriously.  If I'm sharing a stand or blind its usually with my kids and I approach it as a teaching experience first, fun second and the hope of a kill last.
When I'm set on putting an arrow into something I'm alone.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 02:56:00 PM »
I like hunting from a shared camp.  Sharing the days adventures at night and planning for the next day are a joy. During the hunt I like being solo.

My wife sleeps better when I share a camp with other trustworthy hunters.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Lordswarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 03:26:00 PM »
good stuff so far,

i seem to find that when i hunt on my own , especially on a new piece of property,  i have to work much harder to learn all the details of the property, i scout more, i watch more, i listen more, etc.  this all puts me on a more intimate level with that area and its inhabitants, thus making me a better hunter.
when i hunt with 3 or 4 buddies we seem to all get lazy and rely on each other's opinions and info and never really put in a lot of time individually learning the area .
on the flip side, sometimes two heads are better than one and it is a blessing to be able to gain valuable info from friends when they were able to hunt or scout while you were busy with other responsibilities , but more than that, what makes hunting better with friends is the fellowship before and after the hunt. only fellow hunters that have been there with you can truly appreciate the  stories about dragging that deer  out of " the big ditch" or " the rock hole" etc.  i think its better to share stories with people who are an actual part of those future memories rather than with people who can only guess what it was like.
hope i'm not rambling, like i said, i'm a bit bored. gonna make a few dozen arrows next week to hopefully trade or sell this year at our big spring swap meet/ 3d shoot at whittingham n.j.
1 Samuel 17:1-58 ... read it and decide; are you a watcher or a warrior?
Bezaleel Real McCoy 46#
Bezaleel Cougar 53#
Bezaleel Cougar 55#
Bezaleel lynx 55#
Leon Stewart Slammer 52#
Maddog Prairie pred. 45#
66 kodiak,68 k hunter

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 03:29:00 PM »
I hunt alone but camp with family and friends.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
I live close to where I do most of my hunting, and time to hunt is all too rare for me. I take it when I can get it, and usually that means hunting alone. I hope to camp (more than one night) and hunt before I depart this life, and would love to do that with some good hunting friends.  Hunted one afternoon with a guy who was always quiet at work.  He never shut up in the woods.
Jim

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 05:04:00 PM »
I guess there is some difference for those of us who travel and camp at an area to hunt vs. day hunts.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:17:00 PM »
I love hunting by myself.  I'm so much more tuned in to my surroundings with nobody around to make extra noise walking, or be talking etc.  I do all of my hunting around home. I've got two properties leased that I pay and hunt solo just because I like to have the whole property to myself when I step out of the truck.

I hunt other properties along with close friends and family but I seldom go to those places. I have extremely good luck just easing through the woods, being attentive, and taking game. I can't do this on places other people hunt for fear of screwing up their set up.

My house is the gathering place for all my hunting buddies so it's always alot like deer camp when season rolls around. I get all the comradiere of a deer camp at home. But I know where everybody will be the next morning and I pick a spot to have to myself.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Bowhunting for me is about solitude! That being said I do enjoy hunting with a few CLOSE friends. I used to raise and hunt coon hounds, same applies to that for me. I usually hunt 90% alone, But I have read that "Happiness is only real, when shared"  My 2 cents worth.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline 14mpg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
I like to hunt on the ground and having someone mid day be able to move deer toward you and vice versa is awesome and very exhilarating! Nothing like a buck running full bore right at you! Kind of frightening at times, those horns start looking mighty sharp.

Nice thread
Grit + Grain Flooring
Eugene, Or

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
My hunting buddy has been my wife for many many years, we have shared many great hunts but as we have grown older we both enjoy the hunt more than the kill.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
I guess I'm lazy, so every now and then I need a good kick in the_____, but there are times when I can go solo, and get it done, but it's always nice to share stories, so I think it's nice both ways.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
I like to hunt the way George Thorogood likes to drink.

"You know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I generally hunt alone.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©