3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New HH longbow on the way  (Read 323 times)

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
New HH longbow on the way
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:16:00 PM »
Well I finally did it. After looking at all the HH style bows here I decided I wasn't getting any younger and order one of their in-stock bows. It's 66" 45#@28" Big Five with brown glass. I need another bow like I need another hole in my head.    :archer:
1969 Bear Super Kodiak 45#
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"
Roy Hall Navajo Stick, 64" Caddo 55#@28"

Re: New HH longbow on the way
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
If this is your first Hill, check if you have any cedars or Doug fir arrows in your stash.  Hill bows love to shoot woodies that are cut no longer and are no stiffer than they need to be.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
I have 4 boxes of new/old stock bear cedar arrows marked for a 45/50# bow. I got these mainly to use with my 45# Super K but I bet I can get them set up for that HH bow. We'll see, most of my stash is old cedar arrows.

Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Okay, now I feel a twinge of jealousy.  One thing to check with those old Bear arrows.  I bought a dozen for a kid, two of them would not shoot.  Closer inspection showed that the grain was vertical instead of 90 degrees to the string, simple nock change fixed them, the hardest part was convincing the kid the color of the feathers made no difference to how the arrow was going to fly.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
I've run into that before with these old arrows. Since I always replace the nocks (learned that the hard way) I make sure they are on correctly. I have to re-fletch them also but other than that I leave them as is. It's amazing how straight these old arrows are after years of setting.

Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 05:20:00 PM »
Acme cedars, as good as it gets.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »
They can become addictive,I enjoy shooting my Hill's along with shooting my other bows.I love the D-shape,just looks so classic to me.Enjoy your new bow!

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
You are going to wonder why you waited so long to get a Hill, and yes, shoot some woodies out of it. They go together like peanut butter and jelly.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
In answer to the earlier question, yes this is my first Hill style bow. I have a couple of R/D longbows in the stable. One is my Navajo Stick and somewhere around here I have an old Black Swan. I like shooting the Navajo Stick but always felt overbowed with it 55#@28". My shoulders give me trouble time to time so I've gotten smarter as I've grown older and stick with bows around 45#s.  I'm already wondering why it took me so long to get a Hill style bow.   :dunno:   Looks like I'll be using all that arrow building equipment again.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
I have been shooting longbows Hill style since the early 70s, some them extremely stiff. A couple of years ago I bought recurve that was only 45# at my draw.  I tended to reboot my old target form with it.  After all of those years shooting that swing draw with no holding time with no shoulder pain, I found that I needed to hold the recurve back for several seconds to be accurate and it snuck up on me, a hitch my shoulder.  I recovered, shooting with either hand, now, and only shooting bows that I can maintain that swing, draw, anchor, release rhythm, there are no new shoulder problems, my new J D Berry and wood shafts is the perfect combination for that casual accuracy thing to flow.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
You will like your Hill bow, and it will like wooden arrows. Congratulations on your acquisition.
Sam

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2014, 05:43:00 AM »
^^^This^^^^

Make sure you get a FF string with it....it WILL make a performance difference and limit the slight difference in feel that a HH bow gives at the shot.  Once the bow arrives...forsake all other bows 'cept your Hill (at least for two days).  At the end of that two days you will find yourself well towards the top of the mountain of pure shooting enjoyment.       :D  

Hope your wait is short and your enjoyment immense.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
I got my HH bow. My first impressions are wow! This thing is really light in the hand. I've been able to shoot it a little bit and I was impressed by the lack of shoulder pain that I usually get on the first and second shots out of my recurves. I'm guessing the heal down grip angle has a lot to do with this. Right now we have about an inch and a half of ice on the ground so it will be a couple of days before I can really try this bow out. I feel like I'm risking my life walking back and forth from my target. As soon as it warms up a little I'll get some of these woodies tuned up for this bow and see what it will really do.
   :archer:  

Ross
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
You are really gonna like that bow! Wishing warm weather so you can really get acquainted with it.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
No go and get a good quality Hill Style back quiver also!  Enjoy!

Offline Widow's Son

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2014, 05:16:00 PM »
I'm thinking hard about getting some veg. tanned leather and making a HH style quiver. I do quite a bit of leather work so this should be a fairly easy project for me. I'm mainly a bow quiver guy. I've tried using back quivers in the past but never was comfortable with them but I never had one made out of the proper leather.
1966 Bear Kodiak 52#
2000 Black Widow MAII
46# at 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©