3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How cheap do you go?....  (Read 535 times)

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
How cheap do you go?....
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
When you go on a hunt that is away from home, how do you cut corners to save money? do you use a tent? candles? just trying to pick up some ideals from other fellow bowhunters; thanks
Hunt hard waste no meat

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How cheap do you go?....
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
The generosity of friends. This is a great place to make friends around the country and share hunts with each other.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
a lot depends on the hunt, the conditions expected, your wants and your needs.  What do you HAVE to have and what do you WANT to have (cush items).

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Super 8 ... motel 6 is just way too sleazy   ;)
In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »

The best tent I can afford, plus lots of propane. I go to town to do laundry and shower, minimal grocery shopping, and fill up the truck's gas tank. Been using the same sleeping bags for twenty years, and a lot of my clothing for nearly as long.

Home, sweet home!

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 06:53:00 AM »
You will sleep best in a tent. (I know too much about motels, My Basset hounds bed is cleaner)
Like AkDan said, what you want and what you need ain`t always the same thing.

Personally, I try to save money where I can. My wife and I have three kids, and there is NEVER enough money.

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
First differentiate between what you "need" (i.e. Bow, arrow, broadhead, knife, compass, etc) and what you "want" (scent loc, scent killer spray, cover scent, gadgets, etc.).

Never skimp on true "need" items, improvise as you will on the rest.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Pass up the motels and spend the money on a good tent (make sure you check a bunch of reviews), the very best sleeping bag you can afford and a good sleeping pad.  I have tried cutting corners on those three items many times and do not recommend it.  Nothing worse than a cold miserable wet night with leaky gear.

Offline Beau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
I outfitted the back of my truck with a wooden platform bed so I can still stow gear under it. It's way more comfortable than the ground and a lot easier to move campsites.
Nos Oriundus Ora De Desparo

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »
I do all three, tent, truck and motel if necessary. I use a Coleman stove and lantern, Waaaaayyyyy cheaper than propane. Solar shower(heat water on stove if necessary), I do laundry in camp and hang on the line. I DO use candles, I have a little backpacking candle lantern that is great for inside a small tent and is the only flame I would use in a nylon one. A good tent and sleeping bag will last forever if you take care of them. I have a tent that my dad bought over 50 years ago and my down bag is about 25 years old and looks new.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 07:40:00 PM »
Well, I used to tent camp a lot, but getting soft in my old age. I have a 2000 dodge work van with one of those 12vdc coolers, a Mr.Buddy heater and an Army cot. Mosquito net over the cot, so I can leave the doors open in warm weather. Nice, thick air matress. Throw in a 7 cu ft freezer to put clothes and junk in on the way out, and meat coming back if I'm lucky. You can plug that in overnight in a campground, and the meat is rock hard when you get home.
If I'm going way off someplace, I pull my 19' camper with crapper and shower....8^)
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
I have the camper kit in my truck.  Simp;e carpeted p;atfform abov e the wheel wells. All my stuff is under the p;latform in milk crates from kmart.  I put my lantern in it before I put out the fire and roll into my bag-kill the light.  Wake up, turn on the lantern while I push the sleep out of my eyes, and get dressed. Lantern, with some veentilation makes a truck plenty warm in about 15 minutes.   My cousin from Mo spent an week with me in the NV mountains-below 0 at night and we were fine.
i have used tents and much prefer the back of the truck.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Frequent flyer miles!
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
I try to "barnstorm"  my term for researching the area(s) before I go and try something new...on my own.  I have nothing against guides...but I have only so much cash and I choose to not afford a guide.  Having contacts in various areas that are willing to share the knowledge and the fun is priceless.  This site and the people on it are worth more than all the gold in Fort Knox (is there still gold there ?).  Ok.... maybe not that much..... But you guys are worth a bunch.  Most other places are too full of competition to actually share info.
ChuckC

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:00 PM »
I go to Colorado every year from Missouri.  My dad goes too, so with splitting gas, food, camping in tents (with one trip to town for a shower), and even adding the cost of my cow tag ($254)....the last two years have been almost exactly $530.  That's including two motel nights (dad don't like to drive straight through) and whatever gadgets I buy on the road.  Not bad for an eight day trip.

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 11:58:00 PM »

This is home for the $530 week.

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »
I sleep in either a tent or swag depending on the season ,camp under a tarpolin , use a alcohol stove and a Hurricane light , and if driving more than 10 hours or so pull over to sleep on the side of the road . Pack easily prepared food & drink for the drive and plan to buy whatever cheap seasonal tucker from roadside stalls instead of the supermarket. Unfortunatly I save fuel costs with as small 4 cylinder car , love to blow all the dollars I scrooge with 4X4 ute . Lastly save a fortune by making or recycling much my hunting gear . regards Perry
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
I'm cheap.  Cut corners wherever they can be cut    :D  

Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
Camping is free, so I tent it whenever possible. I hunted turkeys last spring for a week, I think I spent $50 in gas (maybe), and about $50 on food for my son and I.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline iacornfed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 09:32:00 PM »
I use my teardrop camper that my son and I built. I sometimes use a tent. But since we went from 4 kids down to 1 left at home We pull the seats out of the mini van. Put in a platform and sleep on it. We put up our sreen tent over the van so we can open the doors and windows.  We cook on a dutch oven, coleman stove or svea alcahol stove if backpacking in. Always use air matresses or foam pads. And sleeping bags. Stop at truck stops to shower when traveling. Wife likes flyingJ. I Dont like hotels! Seen to many shows about the rooms cleanliness! You dont know who or what has been done in the bed.
Choose ye this day whom you shall follow, as for me and my household we shall follow the LORD.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©