3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tired of archery ?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tired of archery ?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
If your shooting since 63, then you must remember the real cold winters we used to have, that's all this is, just a real winter for a change. A few years back, we didn't have any snow in N.J. at all !, now that was different. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt, but since you or anyone else can't do anything about it, might as well get out and enjoy it, with or without a bow and arrow, but I think it's always more fun with.

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Archery is what keeps me sane.  I make arrows, shoot in an indoor league, walk the outdoor course for conditioning, plan the upcoming fall hunts etc....   The latter is a bit more passionate this year since I am going on a Colorado drop camp elk hunt this fall and I just picked up my own piece of hunting ground her in Michigan.

D.P.

Offline Echo62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by bowtough:
Normal for the things of the world to grow tireing, even traditional archery. I have a friend that used to be a fanatical bowhunter, but with age he has really slowed down, it happens. I have found that the only thing in my life that never grows dim no matter what time of the season or my age is my relationship with Jesus Christ. In the end that will be the most important thing anyway, none of my bows will be making that last trip with me some day, but my Jesus will! You think about that, Amen!      :thumbsup:  
Well said!
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. 2nd Timothy 1:7.

Offline Dan bree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Good one bow tough  but when I go I have a stcharles longbow  with this on the limb.  Greve. Not. Nor speak of me with  tears . But laugh and talk of me as though I were beside you . I loved you so. T,was heaven here with you.  It was for my carol who passed  . Sorry off topic a bit.  , and yes Jesus will show us the way.
Dan Breen

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Hate to say it Graps, but I've been shooting longer than you have, and I've gotten tired of it too(several times) Let it go for awhile. It's never left me completely, and always comes back pretty strong. In the meantime find a different hobby, OR take up some other FORM of archery. Lately I've become interested in the Korean style of archery. The bows and shooting with a thumb ring (which may also be directed toward Turkish or Chinese bows) That leads to making your own thumb ring/s, bamboo arrows, etc. A lot of history involved there too, if you're a history buff.
        Just some suggestions which have helped me.   :thumbsup:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
Nope... Everyday, I find something to keep me interested.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
Think its cabin fever..I can't wait for spring. Went out hiking it the snow over the weekend, was great to be in the woods, there's no stress in the woods. Camping,fishing and turkey season is right around the corner.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 07:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Graps:
Do any of you ever get tired of archery ?

I have recently started loosing interest , but I think it's because of the never ending winter here in Michigan .

Two weeks ago I took the snow blower and cleared my archery range and it was blown full 30"deep in two days .

I have been shooting once a week at the archery range and the last two times I didn't care if I shot or not . Didn't care how well I shot either .

I have been shooting sense the spring of 1963 and have never felt like this before .    :(  
Graps...I hear you...my shooting is limited right now to my office. All I can do is keep my form in check, shooting at 7 yards.

One of the things that keeps my archery spark going is being involved in local/state archery organizations. Last Saturday I worked the MBH booth at the Outdooorama. Next Saturday I am attending the MBH members meeting. I'm working with Dean Hall, MBH President, on a membership drive program. I'm writing a couple articles about bowhunting.

Get involved with the MBH, MLA, or MTB....surrounding yourself with like minded archers keeps the spark strong.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Do any of you ever get tired of archery ?    :(  
Interesting question and honestly, I don't think it's because of our winter, brutal as it has been. I hate to admit it but at times, I tire of it as well. I haven't lost interest in the "hunt" but it does get to the point where for myself, the amount of effort I need to pour into being proficient starts to outweigh the enjoyment and benefits.

Back in the spring of 2012 I went on a long awaited trip to Alberta to bear hunt. During the year prior to leaving for that trip, I shot my bow every single day... I NEVER missed shooting. Sometimes it was just a couple arrows but more often than not, it was many more than that. Frankly, I put an ENORMOUS amount of pressure on myself and it ended up taking the joy right out of it. I waited all my life to go on a trip like that and I wasn't going to risk being anything less than prepared.

While I was indeed prepared, after that trip, I never picked up my bow again for close to a year. I was totally and completely burned out. Sadly, shooting that bow and making sure I was successful had become a major part of my identity - that was not a good thing.

I also think that at some point the "age thing" begins to be a factor. Face it - while there's obviously some physical involved, 90% of shooting a trad bow is mental which can easily turn into emotional. When you think about it, golf (even though I've never played it) is much the same as archery. How many 58 year olds do you see winning Major titles on the PGA tour?  Not too many. At some point you just lose "the edge". Are there exceptions? Of course but by in large...

Thankfully, I'm back to shooting again and I'm looking forward to a trip to Manitoba this spring but I've learned a lesson. RELAX A BIT! Enjoy life and don't put that much pressure for perfection on yourself again.

Best wishes as you sort through your own circumstances. Take a little break. You probably find yourself missing it and when you do "come back" to that place that makes it enjoyable again, you'll have a whole new perspective.    :wavey:

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
The only time in the past 45+ years I grew tired of archery was during the Target Panic years.  TP was really bad from about 1988-1995. I cured that problem in 1996 and the joy immediately returned.

I live where I can shoot indoors anytime I want, off the deck, and even on a woodland trail between my son's and my house.

I wonder if I would enjoy shooting as  much if I didn't have a big hunt (for me big is anything out of state)on the horizon.  Having a big hunt planned keeps me fired up.  Shooting is sort of like active day-dreaming.

Heck, I'm going to apply for Bighorn Sheep in Montana just so I can add that beast to my dreaming. I sure don't expect to ever be drawn but what if?

I don't know where in MI you live but maybe you might consider volunteering to work your state's first live "NASP® State Tournament"?  Your DNR can provide all the details.

Or, volunteer (through me) to work the 2014 NASP National tournament in Louisville, Kentucky. Come see 10,800 students shoot competition bullseyes and 4,600 shoot competition 3D. Kids from 35-40 states will be there!  Seeing 540 kids on the 1,450 foot long (indoor) shooting line fires everyone up!

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
This past week my wife got tired of me chasing her around the house, so I went out in snow to shoot.  I got tired of those cold aluminum arrows real quick, so I came in and made a bunch of cedar arrows.  I don't think that there is anything wrong getting away from shooting in the off season completely.  It keeps one from getting stale and allows some healing time for unseen wear and tear.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Dale, you not only have a severe case of cabin fever, but also being a toolmaker I know you have been working long hours. I have not shot my bow in months nor do I feel like it. It's too cold outside to enjoy it and it is hard to be obligated to as league. Just wait till thaw out and longer sunlight hours. I know the hours at work show no sign of letting up but hang in there. Leave work early once in a while. Turn down weekends. Get with me if you don't live too far away and we will sit around the fire pit and talk about the one that got away, the one that didn't get away etc. Also know that the winter doldrums happen to everyone to some degree. Winter in Alaska takes it's toll on many because of the cold and lack of sunlight.

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
Think this winter sucks everywhere. I try shooting indoors at our club once a week plus shoot our 3D winter league,cold but at least I'm getting some time behind my bow. But I'm new to trad only 5 years in. Snow has to melt sometime keep on shootin'.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
yup i get tired of archery every time i shoot my bow for 3 hrs then i just do it again the next day LOL!!!
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »
I would sometimes get tired of the 3D shoots and whining and stuff that goes on at these ranges and such....but I never get tired of bowhunting and though I dont shoot as much as I used to shoot for practice...I still find time to fling a few arrows.  Even when I am not bowhunting or preparing to bowhunt...I can read about it, watch it, make arrows, look at my bows, dream of new bows or sell older ones to make room for more.

So no I dont get tired of archery/bowhunting...I get tired of waiting for weather to improve or the next season or not having time to hunt...but not bowhunting itself.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline traditionalman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2014, 02:45:00 PM »
My greatest fear is some day I will not be able to shoot archery. I seen this happen to my best friend, he was more like a brother to me then a friend. He is 76 years old now and in a nursing home feeble hard to walk and too weak to draw a bow. However, all he talks about is going to the range and shooting or going deer hunting. He told me last week he dreamed he had all his arrows out and inspected for hunted season and all his broadheads were razor sharp. Gog love him I would give anything to tkae him out one last time. I have to have should surgey on the lfet should maybe the right too for arthrist and bone spurs and some small tears. Could not shoot at all last year. However agent orgent struck me again and diabetes got worst and now on insulin and my heart went into AFib and I have to have a Pacemaker put in maybe in 2 week waiting on Doctor to decide when. Shoulder has to wait on heart so probaby won't get should surgery done till July because we have to go on vacation in first part of June. Wife is just finishing Radiation treatment for cancer and needs to get away for a while going to Mobile for a week on the beech. Hopefully I can shoot by August so no I never get tired of shooting it is my life's blood.
Gary King

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 04:04:00 PM »

I just don't feel like shooting    :deadhorse:  
Then don't.  No need to force yourself to do something you don't feel like doing.

I've not been able to shoot since my surgery Dec 12th...and am going to go shoot my 1st arrow today out of a light weight bow Glenbo sent me.  I was shooting with my teeth for a while, but now I'm fixing to take my 1st normal shot in 3 months.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
I would take a few weeks off. The itch will come back.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
I sometimes take a break for a month or so in the winter and do other stuff that needs done like clean out and restock the camping boxes, refinnish  bow or shotgun stock or muzzleloader stock, take apart and regrease/reline all my fishing reels, repair and rewrap rod guides, tie flys, make more arrows, paint/retile the kitchen.......etc......Then when I pick a bow back up it really is enjoyable like greating an old friend. It usually only takes a da or two to get my eye and form back after doing it for so long........so take a break, relax, enjoy life and get back to the bow when you are ready.........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »
:coffee:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©