3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunter roll call  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey hunter roll call
« on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Lets hear from everyone going after longbeards this spring. What is your setup?  Preferred calls, blind or not blind, decoys etc.

I'll start this one.  I will be using a 53# foley recurve, with easton fmj's and Simmons landsharks out front.  I will be blind hunting with a jake and hen deke setup. I mostly use mouthcalls.  Looking forward to hearing everyone's setup.

Thanks in advance guys

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunter roll call
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
Sorry for the double post, guys.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Yep, I'll be after them again this spring, using my 55# Hill, woodies, and whatever 2 blade head I stick in the quiver. I will use a hen/jake deek setup, and natural ground blind, but maybe a commercial blind, too. I will also spot and stalk, since turkeys seem to run from my calling more than come to my calls.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
Ghillie suit,Bear Kodiak Magnum 50# @28", 11/32 cedars, 125 gr. 3 blade sniffers.
 Old box call, old slate call, and hen decoy. I've had the calls so long can't even remember when I got Em! Decoy I bought after hunting season from Wal-Mart 12+ yrs back
Larrydawg
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline Sam S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
Leafy wear 63 lb Zipper recurve Gold tip traditionals and a 125 snuffer. Mouth calls and my old wingbone call
62" 63lb Stacey Groscup edition Zipper Recurve
69 lb 72 " JK Chastain Bugle Longbow

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Pop-up Blind, 42# Big Jim Buffalo, 3555 GTs/135g Stos BH, Primos mouth call, various slate/box calls

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 09:30:00 AM »
I'll use a couple different bows through the season,but it'll be a Pete George longbow for sure(that's all I have now)  probably  start with "BamYew" 66" 66# @ 27"    Arrows will be wood with big Snuffers out of any of the bows. I hunt out of both pop up and blinds made out of natural cover,really hoping to get a hidden hunter to try this year.  Calling with diaphram,box and slate calls. Have a really nice cedar box call a friend built. Jake,hen,both or no decoys, depending on the time and situation. And finally the best part, I'll have my daughter with me for some of the hunts again this year.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
Heading to North Platte on May 1st.  Using some no name longbow, 50#, some carbon or woodies (if I get them built in time), woodsman heads and that's about it.  Favorite calls?  Whichever one brings the boys to the yard!  Good luck to everyone.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
My BW PCH at 57#, my 18 yr old feather flex jake and hen decoys and a Primos Preditor Den pop up. I use a combo of mouth and box calls.  I like mid mornings the best. I'll set up and blind call, doing a series of "lost hen" yelps.  I wait a half hr, if I don't hear a gobble, I'll call again.  If I hear a gobble, I'll switch to my dirty hen talk.  As he closes in, I just purr & cluck with my mouth diaphragm.   Been doing it this way for over 30 years!!  Good luck guys.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »
I'll be after them hard! Looks like I might be loosing my lease this year (oilfield) and I am going to try to tag out! I am not a trophy turkey hunter anyway. I just like to eat them. So, if I see a beard, it gets shot at!

Bisch

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Ghillie suit most of the time,  maybe some time in a pop up as well.  Bear green stripe take down,  Gold Tip shafts with Woodsman Elites on the end.
Looking like I might need to add a pair of snowshoes.    :rolleyes:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I will be at em for sure with my #58 tall tines and my trusty Simmons tiger shark heads and of course my ameristep brick house groundblind...CANT WAIT!!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
55# Maddog recurve and 55# Kanati Easton Axis Trads, may try  2 blade VPA, ASAT leafy suit no blind, jake and hen decoys.  One week in KS, rest of the time in Colorado.  Nothing gets me more fired up than spring turkey season!!!

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
60# Bear AuSable Longbow, CE 250 with 175 grain VPA 3 blade heads.  Leafy suit, Dean T. tree seat, box call and a slate call.  Maybe a decoy or two.  Also bringing a lot of patience!
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I will either be shooting a vintage Browning Explorer I or a Robertson Vision Falcon with Snuffers on end of red balau hardwood shafts fletched with either goose or wild turkey feathers....will decide this weekend.

I use both natural and pop-up blinds....and use mouthcalls as well as glass pot calls.

Decoy is a hen decoy with real feather vest installed...and maybe a half strut jake if they are really fired up.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
No pop up blinds here, I use all natural cover. I have a few spots already setup to call from but when your walking and "Yelping"...and get a gobble, you just scramble to find anything to hide behind and hope for the best.

I prefer diaphrams over box calls. I use my 55# 50" Browning Cobra, 580 gr Fir arrows tipped with 160 gr Snuffers. This spring I'm going to use my left hand Fedora also. Attempting to take 2 birds from both sides.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Awesome guys!!!  I am excited too!  How do those of you that use them like your leafy suits?  

Keep the great stuff coming.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Every year after turkey season I sat to myself that I am never going to hunt them again but then this time of year rolls around and I slowly but surely warm up to it and can't to hit the woods! I will be chasing them this year for sure.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline KSCATTRAPR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
I will be using my Wild Horse Creek 54" Mariah Recurve with 2016's tipped with Zwickey Deltas. I usually use both blinds and ghillie suits throughout the season, it just depends on where I am at. I have had good luck in the past with my ghillie suit as long as I was tucked away in some kind of cover or if I was stalking, I would stay close to big cover to blend into. I'm going to try something new this year. Over my spring break here in a couple weeks I am gonna make a turkey house. There is a spot where the birds on our property funnel through after they come off the roost and it has been a great spot to sit the last few years. The temporary blind we had in years past is long over due for a reconstruction so I decided to basically try and make a box blind to shoot my bow out of. I have a lot of extra wood left from various wedding projects my wife had me do so it could get interesting what I come up with. I take a few young kids hunting every year and it will be a nice roomy and comfortable blind to put them in as well. It's less than a month away, cant wait.

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
i would love to hunt them; unfortunately this year, i dont think ill be able to chase them. i have a little one due to arrive then so my time will be taken up this spring. but i do plan on being in the woods as soon fall comes around. if i could go my set up would be my 55# sage with beman ics 400's with muzzy 3 blade out front and 120 grains behind it (needed to do this to have a good tune for that particular setup) hunting from the ground with no decoy or blind and using a slate call.

for those who are going out this spring i hope you are able to enjoy the Creator's wonders and are able to shoot straight and bring em home!!  :thumbsup:
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©