3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunter roll call  (Read 1733 times)

Offline troy butler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunter roll call
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
I will have new pop up blind and a new long bow build by a buddy along with a B-mobile. Will use both glass and mouth calls.

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
On moving days, the days that I have no clue where the turkeys went, mouth calls, Morningstar longbow, cedars with Grizzlies, and an apple and some water.  On sitting days, a Huntmor, bush in a bag, same bow and arrows, a box call, a squatting jake, an apple, thermos of Earl Grey tea, a sandwich, a zip lock full of wet ones, and a cigar.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
Oh man! At this point I'm wondering if I might be wearing my snow camo for our early Michigan season in April. I'll be using my Two Tracks Echo longbow with Douglas Fir shafts and Grizzly heads. I'll probably use both a pop up or natural blind depending on the mood I'm in the day of my hunt. I'll go with my standard jake/hen set up and hope for the best.

Offline james hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
Going to fl for osceolas with true south using a57 lb lil creep with ash arrows and abowyer whitetail heads can't wait!
jim hoffman

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 12:38:00 PM »
Vesty, sure does look like one of those years we'll start off in the white stuff!!!
Bow:
Hill Country Cree Recurve - 61#, 56" AMO - 2013 Miss Faith.

Arrow:
Primary arrow will be a 700grain cane arrow a good friend made for me.  It's 700gr inclusive of a 190gr VPA.  

Blind with jake/hen decoys.  Box call, slate, and crystal/glass

Good luck fellas.  I am hoping for my first bird with a bow!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
I'm really psyched for turkey season!  I will be hunting with Sarral's "Hope" during Pennsylvania's season, and I'm really looking forward to it.  This will be my first year hunting gobblers with a bow, so I haven't worked out all the details yet, but I do have a pop-up blind and a ghillie, and I plan to use both.  I'll probably use the blind when my 9 year old daughter comes with me, and the ghillie when going solo.

Good luck to you all!

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
I will probably just use the old longbow and leafy camosuit, with the Rackpack chair.  If i get it set up in time, I may try the K-Mag with the Double Bull.  
Getting excited.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 02:20:00 PM »
I will use my 55# Hill Cheetah with wooden arrows carrying Zwicky 2 blade broadheads. I will hunt from a ground brush blind. My primary decoy will be my turkey 3D target.
Sam

Offline Mamba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
I will be after them again with my Das 50#, at my draw. traditional only shafts and probably muzzy phantom broadheads I think this will be the 7th year bow only and I have gotten atleast one bird every year the past 5 years!  I mostly hunt out of my double bull matrix, and I'm pretty lucky with the turkey's.
peter Osimanti

Offline gedman59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »
I'll be after them with my 55 # Robertson Mystical, some new Surewood Douglas fir arrows with snuffers, and a jake and hen decoy.   I also get to use my new Hidden Hunter blind in Predator green, which I was able to buy after selling a couple of Encore barrels which I never used.  Now I just need the 4 plus feet of snow to melt here in Mn before season.
Ron

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I will be hunting turkey  for the first time this year.My buddy swears Iam going to love it.Iam an avid deer hunter.so I will be listening to this thread very closely.We have a good turkey population on our lease an they are big I see them deer hunting all the time.I just hope they are there turkey season.how ever I will probally see deer aint that the way it goes.I got a nice box call should I use decoys? thanks for your help you all always steer me in the right direction.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
I will be shooting a homemade bow 64 long around 50 lbs and woodsman heads. I will be hunting out of a couple of popup blinds as well as using my Waldrop seat and a ghillie. I love turkey hunting. I will be using a call made by JoeBuck as well as a Doug Camp slate.RC

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
No turkey hunting for me...just no place to hunt. The local WFA has drawings for three day slots but you have to buy your tag before even entering the drawing. And, the tag costs more than a turkey is worth in the first place.

It's too bad because I've been seeing lots of turkeys around. There's just no way to hunt the land where the turkeys are.

Offline tradarcher816

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
Blackwidow MAII 55lbs Easton axis with either phantoms or Magnus bh on the end. And if I get my replacement hub from primos I'll be in my pop up blind, if not, I'll be in some brush. Mostly I favor a slate call.
Love God, Love your neighbor.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I will either be using my recently acquired sheepeater obsidian or 56" grizzly. Pop up blinds mostly, but I may not stay in them very long    :D    Also some brush blinds. More than likely snuffers or vpas. Primos decoys,(real turkey fan), Jake, hen, whatever I feel that given day. And whatever call I can get to work!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Plumber:
Turkey hunting is a BLAST!
Very difficult. You have to learn to enjoy the process and the mere fact you are sitting in the woods after a long cold winter.

Read all you can on them, but I won't bore you on this post.  There are MANY folks on here that are better turkey hunters than me.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Mike Gerardi

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Dale Dye recurve. Woodies (cedar) and big A.C.E 200 grn heads. Double bull blind w/ best turkey decoy jake and Avian hens. I use a feeder and breeder hen. Crystal Mistress pot and box call. Mouth calls make me gag...  :(

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
This will be my first year chasing them with a bow. I'll use a vintage Browning Explorer II pulling 50# with gamegetter 500 shafts and wensel woodsmans broadheads. I'll be chasing them in the woods at flydown using only a leafy wear suite and whatever I can hide in/behind/next to/under. Probably use a pop-up and decoys at a fields edge mid-morning when the action slows down. I'll thrown every call I have at 'em over the course of the day. Good luck fellas.

Offline bowhunter@54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
My bow of choice is my The Stick 55#@28  Goldtip. 5575 5@1/2 gateway feathers. Up front 125 grain Zwickey Eskimo 2-Blade .sometimes I use a pop up blind but most the time I'm in my leafy suit. I carry a The freak pot on my leg and I carry two pots in a hang on bag a Lil’ Jack™ and a Turkey Stamp Slate and triple sevon,cuttin  stick and a kee-kee striker and I make my carbon strikers out of broken shaft's and corn cob top.And for decoys I use the funkey chicken ,feeding hen inflatable along with a standing hen
2014 custom 64 inch Martin Savanna 50 #@28 ,1986 Martin The Stick 55#@28,2013 Greatree GT Hawk takedown 45#@28,1969 Indian archery Hawkeye 55#@28,1969 Cochise Indian archery 40#@28. It's good to be alive unless your a squirrel !

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
Thanks to everyone who has posted.  Good luck out there guys.  Let's see some hero pics here in a couple of weeks.

Shoot straight, pick a spot, and call soft when they're close.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©