3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunter roll call  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunter roll call
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
I leave tomorrow afternoon for the Tennessee opener.  Best of luck to all you guys!!!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
I'll be using either my 50# Kodiak Mag. or a 50# Bear T/D. 2018's with a 125gr. Snuffer, out of a pop-up.

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
66inch 56@27 Osage Selbow backed with rawhide. Footed poplar shafts with homemade single bevel trade point. Mouth and a slate call. No blind and Gertrude my dependable decoy. WY G&F has made the area around me an open area so I cant wait to get after um. Next week is the opener I am already feeling a sick day coming on.

Offline Puckaway

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »
I've got 3rd season here in WI. I'll likely be hunting out of a double bull. Hen and jake decoy, whatever slate or mouth calls I can dig up. I'll be hunting with my brand new today Shrew Classic Hunter 45lbs @26 with gold tip 1535's. I haven't settled on a broadhead at the moment though. I still need to practice my new set up. Any clues what I'll be doing all morning before work tomorrow? YEEEHAAAWWW!!!

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Im going to give it a shot. Using my new 58" Whip, 52 @ 27 and Simmons interceptors. If I manage that early I am going to break out the selfbow and primitive arrows. I'm dreaming pretty big though since I will only have a couple days,LOL.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Yup, again, this time with three tags (longer season).  I have and may use a DB Darkhorse recurve blind in the endeavor, but will start out wearing a ghillie set up and a home made bow blind unit.

I will be using the recurve limbs on my RER, about 58 pounds at my draw length.  Full length Beman 340 arrows with 4-4" naner" cut feathers and 175 grain VPA 3 blade heads.  

I have hand painted hen and tom decoys with the fan replaced on the tom, switched with a smallish jake fan.  Also, I am thinking of putting the jake on a sled of sorts, positioning it 75 yards away from the hen and walking it to me with a string upon sighting of birds.

Who knows... might be like trolling.
ChuckC

Offline KYFOXSTICK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
3 weeks away and can't wait...been seeing birds everywhere.

64@28 PL black widow, 300g big Jim heads, Easton axis traditional arrows, big Mike's ground blind, pretty boy and primos decoys, diaphragm and box calls made locally

Best of luck to all!
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- President Thomas Jefferson

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Hoping they all didn't freeze to death.  Going to try my luck in May.  Will be using my new Bear takedown.  Still snow on the ground hope we're thawed out by then.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »

On my way to pickup my daughter at daycare I saw a flock of 15 to 20 birds in the snow cover field, 3 nice gobblers strutting around.  I'm all fired up now!  Course I've still got a month to wait, and it sounds like we have another snow Event on its way Thursday.   :deadhorse:    :deadhorse:    Made a string tracker bracket for my new TD, looks like it'll work good.

Offline bowhunter@54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 07:10:00 PM »
Going to Louisburg ks opening day on private land .I'll be taking 5575 goldtip trads with my  zwickey eskimo 160 grain with my Savannah  longbow and The Stick longbow so that I can hunt from blind a couple of days then break the Savannah out for some spot and stalk. I put out 2 or 4 decoys depends on the birds .I use the funky chicken ,submissive sally and a couple of feeding hens.For calls I love my pot calls and my old long box helper.
2014 custom 64 inch Martin Savanna 50 #@28 ,1986 Martin The Stick 55#@28,2013 Greatree GT Hawk takedown 45#@28,1969 Indian archery Hawkeye 55#@28,1969 Cochise Indian archery 40#@28. It's good to be alive unless your a squirrel !

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I think I'll be using my old Wing Slim Line with some BEAUTIFUL rattler skins on it this year. 2016 shafts and 125 grn Thunderheads. Ground blind and spot and stalk, slate call because I lost my box call last year some place in the turkey woods ... need to get a new one

Good luck to all and be safe
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Best of luck to everyone!  I made it to Tennessee for their opener this past weekend.  I was hip deep in birds Sunday and Monday, but never could connect on one.  Talk about adding fuel to the fire!!  We open here in NC next weekend, and I am stoked.  Call soft and shoot straight guys!!

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Offline TexasTrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
I got one!

I love turkey hunting.    I got this bird Tuesday morning before going in to work.  I was in a blind and had one hen decoy out.   A few soft calls on the diaphram after flydown and this bird came in with a jake.  The shot was about 7 yards with my Rick Welch Dakota 45# at 28" and Silver Flame XL broadhead.  I was using a string tracker and it worked great but was not necessary because this bird only went about 20 yards.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
I'm going after them again this year. 50# Pronghorn and a popup.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »
I'll be out there soon as well.

I'll be shooting a 60" hickory - maple - shedua tr-lam longbow. 45# @ 25". or a '69 54" york thunderbolt, 50# @ 28"

23/64" surewood doug fir shafts w/ 125 zwickey 2 blade ~525gr

Basically my deer hunting setup

Hunting from a hub style blind possibly with jake decoy

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Congrats TexasTrad!!!
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
PBS Associate Member

Online TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
68" Kohannah Longbow 62@30. Douglas Fir shafts with two blade Zwickey Eskimos. Newly made Ghillie, a slate call and a plunger call. Flambeau dekes, if I use them.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Forgot to add, I'll be using a few wingbone calls from past birds, a turtleshell call with cedar slate, custom box call and probably some mouth calls ... can't be too prepared.

Offline jwhitetail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »
Hey LittleBen, would love to see a pic of your home - built wing calls!  That sounds really cool.
3 JD Berry Duo-Flex long bows
A pile of JD Berry ASL bows
2 JD Berry "OE" Long Bows

A Coyote ran accross the road, on the move without a home...
T. Petty

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
Caribows Perigrine, Easton Axis from a blind.  I love my Avian X hen and jake decoy set.. So lifelike Toms can't stand it!

Hunting in the rain can be great turkey huntiing!
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©