3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey hunter roll call  (Read 1729 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey hunter roll call
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Looks like i got a change of plans.... I'm heading to Texas on the 15th and try my luck for 3 days on hogs & birds.... This will be my first official turkey hunt.... I'm getting Jazzed.

Offline elk nailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
black hills apr. 21-28. sw MI in may

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I am chomping at the bit.  Booked opening day off (Apr 25th) and will be hunting with my Cari-bow Slynx, Big Mike Blind over a Dakota Decoy Jake using 2 slate calls.

Offline james hoffman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Going to be in sw ny first five days in May.lil creep for the matrix blind in nasty wet weather, will use the Osage self bow and cane arrows with the ghillie and waldrop chair,ala Joey Buchanan style, life is good!
jim hoffman

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
Saturday it starts.  Me, my daughter, my '71 Super K, and hopefully one of these.........just pulled the cam yesterday after putting the tent up.

"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2014, 01:23:00 PM »
Nice bird Tex!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Have a first season tag (starts April 16) in northern Wisconsin and a fourth season tag, too (starts May 14). Still lots of snow in the woods but there are also some turkey tracks. Hopefully, the snow will be mostly gone before the opener and I can set up a pop up. Will use a Huntmore, Stick longbow and gold tips/VPA and string tracker. Will also use hen/jake decoys.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
'58 Bear Kodiak, 60", 58#; home-made POC tipped with Zwickey Eskimos; leafy suit; Torges seat ... and all the Repel tick repellent/killer I can get my hands on.

Been tracking them for the last couple of weeks – still lots of acorns for them on the ridges under the snow.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
I'll be going 4th season May 7 to 13 here in Wi.
Howatt Hi-Speed 58" 45#
CE Predator II shafts
Magnes 2 blade Stingers
Pop up blinds
I shot my first turkey with a bow this past fall on Sept. 23. Now hopefully it's time for a gobbler. Good luck to everyone!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2014, 12:39:00 AM »
I'll be hunting with the bow in my signature beginning on April 28th (our opening day). In may I hope to be hunting with Sarrels Ms. Hope as Nittany Rider can't due to an injury. I HOPE to take a bird or two with her.

I'll use a pop up blind some and also do some run 'n' bow.

Good luck all... be safe.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
I just spent three days in a ground blind and only heard one gobble.  Weather got the birds a little slow hear.  Should pick up though.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Okay fellas, I might be about to do something crazy.  I am headed out tomorrow for out NC opening day.  I have gotten permission to hunt a nice little piece of private land, which borders public land.  I haven't had as much scouting opportunity as I prefer because of work and my upcoming wedding.  Here is where I need advice.  I am seriously considering leaving the dern blind in the truck.  I want to be as proactive as possible when/if the gobbles start.  I do not have a ghillie.  Can I get away with this if I use natural cover to my advantage?  Of course I will be in full camo and will have my yellow fletching covered.  Someone talk me off the ledge if this is the craziest thing you've ever heard???  As always thanks in advance.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline rwbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2014, 12:34:00 PM »
Got out yesterday and finally got to hunt a field I've been closed out of the past few times (public land-first come first squatters). Had a hen beat both of my hen decoys into submission (laid both of them over) for 30 minutes. An hour or so goes past and so start the gobbles. Big Tom and three Jakes come out- Tom goes far south and the Jakes linger. Two of the Jakes come over to meet the new girls and another Tom comes out and heads south with the first Tom. The bigger of the two interested Jakes decides he'd like to breed my Avian Hen and while in full mount, takes 530 total grains of Easton Axis tipped with a 150 grain Fred Eichler series Muzzy Phantom just ahead of the left wing butt, through and out the right side of the chest under the wing. Pics and story to come.

Jake, I don't think it's crazy. The important thing to remember is to control your movement. I've had flocks of turkeys in my face while wearing plaid, sitting against a tree in the practical wide open and hadn't been busted once. Only move when you know the birds can't see you and you shouldn't have a problem hunting in natural cover. Hide your legs well with your back to a tree. Have your bow up and ready to draw, or across your lap behind cover to minimize the movement that birds may see. Good luck buddy!
Shoot Straight..
Rory

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2014, 03:32:00 PM »
Great job Rory!

Thanks for the kind words, glad you got one.  I am getting back after them this Saturday after two close calls with no shot opportunities.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©