3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Latest thumb rings, and a question...  (Read 359 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Latest thumb rings, and a question...
« on: March 04, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »

Latest two thumb rings for myself, both are 100% functional.  Wooden one is spalted rock maple, the white is artificial ivory (Corian sold for scrimshaw work.)  I've got lots of wood, lots of Corian and a LOT of time.  If I made more, would people be interested in shooting with a thumb ring?  It would be provided as a "u-finish" deal as you'd need to sand the interior to fit you properly.  The leather is used if you either need to snug one up during winter (as our fingers shrink in winter) or for extra protection against the string (the wooden one has it because the string was getting caught under the ring.)  I've still got more stuff to try out (dogwood is up, as it's very tough, and I can do acrylic as well, as I have spare of it) but I'm enjoying sitting down with the drill and rasps and making these.  I'm looking at possibly redesigning my chair quivers as well, but with the thumb rings, would anybody be interested in them?  If so, what would they be worth to you?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Latest thumb rings, and a question...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I know there are members that use them as there were other discussions about thumb rings. I know little about them other than they are functional. I know if I had any trouble with my release, I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Good luck
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
sure i would try one- have no idea on the value?

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Ed, I would love to try one of those. I have little idea of how they work. Could you put some photo's and descriptions on here to help educate the rest of us. And while your at it put up some more info on that funky PVC bow of yours, that is awesome.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
I sure can.  I owe my wife a movie night (our anniversary was yesterday and I was bedridden) but afterwards i'll start it up and we can follow what directions you guys want to go, so long as you recognize I'm no master either-I'm simply a student of the bow taking a different path.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
man those are way cool and i have used thumb rings before i love em as i have a horse bow i would love to get a hold of one. fujimo the ones they sell in korea are about $15 incl post and thats a good deal. hey Bro how many are ya going to make
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Yes, I would be interested in one. I made one out of raw hide once, it was ok.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I like reading up on Gengis Khan and his Army.
   Those guys where really fast with those bows.
With a Horse bow and thumb ring if right handed you shoot off the right side of the bow....
   One day I would like to get a Horse bow.
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by halfseminole:
I sure can.  I owe my wife a movie night (our anniversary was yesterday and I was bedridden)
I take it that you mean "bedridden for your anniversary" in a bad way.     :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:      :biglaugh:  

Don't know much about thumb rings or the style of bows that they were used with.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
I have never seen a thumb ring in use.
Would be nice to see how one is used exactly. I take it that you use thumb and first finger, locking the finger over the ring.   :dunno:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline DaveV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Knawbone:
I have never seen a thumb ring in use.
Would be nice to see how one is used exactly. I take it that you use thumb and first finger, locking the finger over the ring.    :dunno:  
Yep, that's pretty much it. Taking Archer's Paradox into account, the arrow now bends in the opposite direction requiring you to shoot off the other side of the bow. My thumb doesn't flex enough to use one or I'd have had one already.
Rudderbows selfbow,1959 Herters recurve, Toelke Whip, and just added a Hoyt ProVantage warf conversion to the mix.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©