3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: St Jude Elk Hunt  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: St Jude Elk Hunt
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2007, 04:13:00 AM »
Puttin this one back at the top so Brian doesn't loose it, he should have a lot more pictures!  Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2007, 04:55:00 AM »
finally got a chance to catch up on this one.....awesome!!   I love Montana   :clapper:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
The next day, we decided to try to find the elk elsewhere. The fires and the wolves really seemed to disburse the herds. This morning, we decided to look for them on National Forest land.

The mountains are not the only things that can make you feel small in Montana.

Rock slides and trees can have that affect too...

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
We put some miles on in that National Forest. The scenery was pretty spectacular. I was amazed at the diverse landscapes around every turn. Unfortunately, we did not see or hear any elk at all.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »
A quick note on equipment since someone asked. First off, great footwear is a must. Don't skimp on taking care of your feet out here. Since the weather was on the milder side, I wore my Danner hikers. These hikers have served me well over the last couple years in mild temperatures. They are waterproof, breathable and have great support. I wear a silk liner under my lightweight socks to help wick moisture and prevent any chance of blisters.

You've heard the saying "cotton is the enemy". It's very true out here this time of year. You want a base layer that can wick moisture away from your skin. Cotton won't do that. One day I got hot while hiking and I took everything off and just put my long sleeve cotton shirt back on. Well, after a few miles, the sweat built up pretty good on my skin and in the cotton. It got cooler the higher we climbed and the wet cotton and skin turned into a freezer. Fortunately, I had enough clothing in my pack to change out but you need to remember that. A fun hunting trip can turn into a survival situation at any moment in this country. Keep a jacket or pullover, some gloves and a beanie cap or other warm hat in your pack. Like I said, temps can change in a hurry.

I have an old Rocky backpack that has been all over North America with me and has been part of my hunting gear for over a decade. Yep there are better packs out there but I don't see the need to replace this one just yet. Just make sure you take a comfortable pack with a plenty of storage.

A quality pair of binoculars is essential. And be prepared to spend a lot of time looking through them. I have a pair of Steiner 10 X 32 and they get the job done pretty well. I always tell people to get the best glasses they can afford, even if you have to wait a little longer to save up for them. Someday I will upgrade to something like Doug has, which I believe are Swarovski 10 X 42. The Steiners I have work well, but the little details like studying antlers and things are a little more difficult at longer distances. Have a quality, comfortable bino system/harness too. I like my Crooked Horn Outfitters harness.

I'm using a home made longbow, 59# @ 28 inches for this trip. 600 grain Gold Tip Traditional arrows including the Woodsman broadheads. I like sling quivers and the GFA model works well for me.

I also have a pretty well stocked first aid kit with me at all times. I have one of the soft sided cases and it's only about 6" X 6" X 1" and weighs less than a pound. A paramedic friend of mine stocked it pretty good with all the essentials and then some, including a few suture kits. I also saved a bottle of Vicoden from a previous prescription. There are lots of resources on-line to find out what you want in your kit. Cover the basics at least, pain killers, cold remedies, anti-diarrhea, band-aids and gauze, tweezers, tape, moleskin, snake bite kit, etc.

And don't forget your water bottle/bladder. You don't want to get dehydrated up in those hills.

Did I forget anything? Probably, but you get the idea.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
That evening, we hiked up the hill on the far end of the ranch. It was in the 70s that afternoon. We could see the weather blowing in over the mountain top as we ascended.

We sat there under that tree, bundling up, and Doug let out a cow call. "WHOEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRUMPH" a bull screamed back! Our necks snapped around to look at each other, our faces lit up like a child's on Christmas morning. So we decided to make a move. We moved toward the sound of the bugle, Doug staying well behind me to call while I searched for the elk.

"Errrrrup" "Errrrrup" Doug chirped..."WHOEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRUMPH" another bugle erupted, then another from a different bull further down the valley. I slipped through the pines. The elk sign was unreal; droppings, rubs and tracks littered the landscape. A bull can sure tear up some vegetation.

The bugling got closer but the visibility was shrinking and the snow was moving in.

More rubs, more sign and I could hear the elk in the area.

The storm intensified, the winds picked up and started to swirl. Darn it! The bugles began to become more faint, not sure if they were moving away or if the wind was muting them. The worst part was we were approaching the property line and we would not be able to hunt across the border. Seemed the elk knew it too...

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
Well, the snow storm moved in in full force. Winds whipped, elk headed across the property line and Doug and I were a good distance apart. I dropped down into the valley pretty far and he stayed on the ridge top. It got dark quick in that storm. I never did see the elk but it sure was a blast hearing them responding to our calls and seeing all that sign. Another great day in Montana!!!

I climbed back up to where we started. It was a pretty straightforward exit to the truck. I knew where I was going but I decided to wait for Doug on top before heading back. It got pretty dark and I continued to flash my light in the direction of where I thought Doug would be coming. Unbeknownst to me, Doug was waiting and looking for me on the ridge that I dropped over. Well, I figured he had enough faith in me to get back to the truck so that is what I did. I called Doug's wife at the ranch and told her that I would be at the truck should Doug happen to call. I got back to the truck, started it, turned on the high beams and blew the horn a few times to let Doug know I was there. He descended shortly thereafter.

We should have made better plans to meet at a predetermined place. Make sure you think of that before splitting up, especially in an unfamiliar place.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
It was a little chilly the next morning   :coffee:  

But we got right back in the saddle.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2007, 11:42:00 AM »
We put in another full day but just could not seem to find elk on any of the properties we had permission to hunt on.

This may have had something to do with it...

We saw a few more decent mulies crossing the road and heading towards the alfalfa fields.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2007, 12:19:00 PM »
OK, last day of hunting in Montana. It's do or die time. But not really, the trip has already been a huge success regardless. We hit the hills hard once again.

We even harrased the squirrels. Doug and I both got shots at this same squirrel in the same location. The little bugger actually ducked my arrow and went back to feeding while Doug drew on him.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
Well, despite forest fires, wolf re-introduction and early snow squals, nothing could keep Doug and I out of the field. We busted our butts and not bringing game meat back to camp was not due to a lack of trying, that's for sure. We pushed ourselves hard but it didn't work out like we hoped, but we still had a blast, proving that a kill is not necessary to ensure a great hunt.

I did manage to sneak up close and personal on mule deer bucks on at least 4 occasions. Two of those were less than 15 yards but the cover was so thick I could not get an arrow through anywhere. The third opportunity was a blown shot on my part. The deer was beeded and facing away from me. I snuck within 20 yards and figured I could drop an arrow just left of the spine and into the vitals. Well, it was about 4 inches just left of the spot I picked and it stuck in the dirt, literally right next to the deer. The reverberation from the shaft smacked the buck in the side and nudged him out of his bed. Oh well, as they say. It wasn't my first miss and it probably won't be my last.

I had one last opportunity on a mulie buck but when I got there, he was bedded in a depression with only his antlers showing. I whistled to try to get him to stand but he rocketed out of his bed instead. It sure was a blast getting so close to critters that run from wolves though.

Many thanks to Doug, Karen, Joseph and Ashley for a wonderful time. I plan to go back. And I might have to make steaks out of these things when I do:

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
wow that was a great adventure

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2007, 01:35:00 PM »
Enjoyed the tellin, guys.   Thanks, Brian and Doug, for taking some great pics....and making the most of things, so soon, after a pretty catastrophic fire.  Good to see the game back in there a bit, and the two of you making a great adventure of it all.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline Brian Halbleib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
We sure gave it heck Mark. That place will be good as new, or better, in a few years.

-Brian
 www.bowyersjournal.com

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing! Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
WOW! Amazing pictures Brian, thanks for sharing.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©