3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trying to get started  (Read 265 times)

Offline GW14

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying to get started
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
First of all if I am posting this in the wrong place I apologize, this is my first post. I used to shoot compound several years ago and have recently wanted to get back into archery. This time around I want to go traditional and have been trying to do some research. I have spent the last two weeks combing the internet with a lot of time spent on the 3 Rivers site. What I am considering purchasing is a Bear Grizzly(50 or 55#), a start up kit and a carbon test kit. I was wandering if I could get some opinions on whether or not I am on the right track from people who know more than what little I do.   :confused:

Offline JeffR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to get started
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
I'm sure others wil be along shortly, but here's my $0.02:  50-55# is probably too much bow to start out with.  You'll have a hard time developing proper form.  I'd look for something more in the 30-40# range as a starter bow and then work up.

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
I would recommend getting a good used bow right here on the TradGang classifieds.  Get it at 40-45#, shoot it for a while, and then sell it for nearly what you paid for it.

You'll learn a lot about arrow and tuning right here on TradGang, and could also call 3Rivers and talk things over with one of their techs.  They'll steer you in the right direction.

I found that one of the things that helped me most in understanding bow and arrows and arrow tuning was the "owner's manual" DVD that Black Widow put together, that they give to people that order their bows from them.  You may never shoot a BW bow, but the information you would find would be very helpful.  I've helped several friends get into traditional archery, and have loaned that video to all of them.  It's been a big help.

Also, there's a book by T.J. Conrads about traditional bowhunting that I've heard is a big help.  I've not read it myself, but if you're pretty new to all this, you might consider it:   http://www.3riversarchery.com/Traditional+Bowhunter%27s+Handbook_i7015_baseitem.html
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
also try finding someone close that has gear u can try...post ur home town on here and maybe ull get more help than u want...jm2cw

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
Most people thing they need a 55-70 lb bow
Truth is 40-45lb bows will get it done at stickbow ranges with sharp broadheads.
Try and find a person near you to try a bow or two before you buy one.

And remember that trational archery is a game of feet, not yards.
Slickhead

Offline GW14

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I wanted a 55# to begin with and then I measure my draw at 30" so that would put me at about 61# which could be to much. I pulled a 45# back and it was not bad at all. I have a buddy here at home that has a 55# Kodiak I could try to see if it would be to much. One reason I was wanting at least a 50 # was to keep from turning around and having to buy another one. Another reason I was leaning toward the heavy side was they had a black bear season in Wayne county this past year, and if population growth keeps going like it is it might open up more.

Offline IAhunter86

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Hey, I'm pretty new to trad shooting as well. However I started out with a Bear Grizzley 50# @ 28. I love the bow, I'm not sure what your are comfortable pulling. I shoot 70# from my compound so to pull back 50# is fairly easy, I also have a 30# for my wife I enjoy shooting. As far as technique goes the other guys on here can steer you far better than I. As far as the Bear Grizzley recurve goes, I can tell you for what you pay 300-350 it is well worth every cent!

Offline GW14

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
That is why I was looking at the grizzly everything I read says for the money it is the best. I was looking to spend between 450 and 500 on everything so it will probably be what I get. I just need to figure out what # to get.

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
You're in the right place!!  The folks here on Trad Gang will give you everything you need as far as advice and help along the way.  You have just shortened you learning curve a lot!!  Welcome.    
 Only being into archery for a couple years now I second the idea of checking out the classifieds here !  A LOT of great bows at great prices.  If you don't see what you want just put up a post and ask!!!   You will find it. And like has been said.... When it's time to move to a different bow you will most likely get most of, if not all your money back by selling or trading it on the classifieds.  
You will find a lot of trad guys in your area...take advantage of it!!!  A lot of good people out there.  
I started with a 50# bow and I'm a pretty big guy.  It was the perfect start for me...as has been said.....don't over bow yourself...it will deter you from going forward!!   AND---a 50# bow used with accuracy and a deadly sharp broad head will take care of just about any black bear in the lower 48!!!  

Have fun and again....welcome to Trad Gang.
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:00 PM »
I say go to the Kentucky trad fest in a few weeks and talk to some people. I'm sure you will find people more than willing to help you out and let you shoot some different bows. And welcome    :wavey:

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Archie:
I would recommend getting a good used bow right here on the TradGang classifieds.  Get it at 40-45#, shoot it for a while, and then sell it for nearly what you paid for it.

You'll learn a lot about arrow and tuning right here on TradGang, and could also call 3Rivers and talk things over with one of their techs.  They'll steer you in the right direction.

I found that one of the things that helped me most in understanding bow and arrows and arrow tuning was the "owner's manual" DVD that Black Widow put together, that they give to people that order their bows from them.  You may never shoot a BW bow, but the information you would find would be very helpful.  I've helped several friends get into traditional archery, and have loaned that video to all of them.  It's been a big help.

Also, there's a book by T.J. Conrads about traditional bowhunting that I've heard is a big help.  I've not read it myself, but if you're pretty new to all this, you might consider it:    http://www.3riversarchery.com/Traditional+Bowhunter%27s+Handbook_i7015_baseitem.html  
X2

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
sounds like you are on the right track.
I agree not to get over bowed...but to an extent.
I personally think 99% of average men could very easily shoot a 50-55# bow and not worry about developing bad form etc anymore than with a lighter bow. But that is just my opinion.
 A 45# bow at your 30" draw will be deadly on  all but the toughest game and definitely deadly on Black bear as well as deer, hogs, elk, etc! your long draw is a big advantage. A 45#er at your draw would be like a 50-55 pounder at my 26" draw because of the longer power stroke you have. Think 150# crossbow VS 70# compound bow. Very similar because of the different power stroke.
 so keep in mind you are at a major advantage.
 TJ's book is about the best I have read on getting started and covering all topics. I would suggest getting that book right away.
to get started you will need a bow, arrows, glove or tab, armguard, arrow points, STRINGER for the bow if it doesn't come with one, and you are good to go! I would also suggest a couple judo points in the same weight you get your practice tips/broadheads in so that you can stump shoot, rove and shoot at anything.
With your arrows you will eventually need to bare tune the shafts to get them perfect. so id suggest having 3 rivers or where ever you buy your arrows give you a good recommendation for a good arrow for you. then just buy 6 of them. The reason for this is that to properly tune an arrow you need to have your form situated. you don't have that yet so just get a few arrows to start shooting. then in a couple months you can start tuning shafts and finding what will be best for you. That will also give you time to figure out what type, weight, etc arrow you want. Short version....don't go to crazy spending money on arrows yet as they will most likely change when you figure everything out and get your groove.

You are going to have a lot of fun with this. There is nothing like Traditional bowhunting.
Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
pm sent
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©