3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads for whitetail  (Read 665 times)

Offline Matthew Bolton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads for whitetail
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
I've killed 4 with either a Woodsman/VPA and 1 with a zwickey Eskimo. Both have lead to seriously dead deer but my favorite out of all of them is the VPA terminator. I've punched through shoulders with them and other than a gut shot or 2 I've never had a deer go over 60 yards.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I've also shot deer with 2 blades that went between ribs in and out and the deer never knew it was shot till if fell within 20 yards. The majority of my deer kills are with zwickey deltas 2 and 4 blade I  never could tell much difference in blood trails or distance traveled  but most fell within 100 yards some as close as 10-15 yards  just have em razor sharp and out em in the right place
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
I've have shot mainly big 1.5" 2 blade German silver flame XL's with 49-52lb trad bows for deer,turkey and hogs for several years now. Yes I know crazy money for a broadhead but I bough 9 of them, still have seven left. I have harvested a couple dozen wild hogs, four BIG bucks and a few doe and a handful of turkeys with them. I just resharpen to crazy,crazy sharp and their ready to go again. I think I made a good investment and they produce wicked damage and heavy blood trails.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I use Bear Razorheads with my recurves and Howard Hill 140gr heads with my longbows. Always have had perfect flight and complete penetration.

Offline TURKEYFOOTGIRL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
I prefer the Simmons sharks. Most 3 blade holes can be covered with your thumb. Try to do that with a 2" gash from a shark. Very accurate too! Any good head through the lungs will do. Some just leave a better trail...
"Life's too short for ugly bows n arrows" Chris B

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by TURKEYFOOTGIRL:
I prefer the Simmons sharks. Most 3 blade holes can be covered with your thumb. Try to do that with a 2" gash from a shark. Very accurate too! Any good head through the lungs will do. Some just leave a better trail...
MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!  :shaka:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 06:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Matthew Bolton:
I've killed 4 with either a Woodsman/VPA and 1 with a zwickey Eskimo. Both have lead to seriously dead deer but my favorite out of all of them is the VPA terminator. I've punched through shoulders with them and other than a gut shot or 2 I've never had a deer go over 60 yards.
I'm with Matt on this one.  VPA makes a great head and the blood trails are just what my old eyes need.
T ZZZZ

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 07:20:00 AM »
I like Woodsman Elites since they are so easy to sharpen.  VPA three blades are basically the same heads.

One of these years I'm going to buy myself a KME sharpener and try a nice two-blade head.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 08:01:00 AM »
Lots of great choices and no right answer....except make sure they are sharp.  Ive killed with 2, 3, and 4 blade.  They were all sharp and got the job done.  I did my part by putting it in the right spot.

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
I swapped to Simmons broad heads recently after 35+ years of using Bear, Zwickey and Magnus heads.... I have no plans on ever going back.

The Simmons fly great, are super strong, and they just drain animals of that bubbly red stuff faster than anything I have ever tried.  I am still amazed at the size of the wound holes they open up.  

I hit a buck extremely high this year and from a severe quartering angle, the broad head entered just in front of his ham and just under the backbone.... it traveled all the way to front of his sternum and lodged there.... no exit hole and a very high entry hole.  I figured it was going to be a long, hard tracking job.  Wrong, i Found blood immediately at the impact site and walked the trail to where he collapsed only 80 yards away.  This buck died running and yet the blood trail was easy to follow.  Never had such luck with the flat smaller two blades.  

There is just something about the concave shape of the Simmons heads.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Like most hunting, it doesnt seem as if the head itself makes a lot of different from manufacturer to manufactuer and style to style but more so shot placement.  I'm going to be using the 3 blade woodsmans' this year.
>>>--------->

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Abowyer Wapiti, a killin head for sure!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I use single bevel Hills, either shaving sharp smooth or with a light serration mostly these past years.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
For deer I have come full circle to what I started with almost ten years ago zwickey deltas. except now I'm shooting the 4 blades instead of the 2 blades. I am seriously looking at the simmons broadheads though too.
James Kerr

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
Since 1973 I have used 2,3,4 and 5 blade broadheads on deer.  I have killed deer with all of them.  Which ones left the best bloodtrail?  I've had great to nonexistent with all of them.     :knothead:     It normally depends on where you hit them and if you get an exit or not.  Use the one that flies the best that you can get the sharpest that gives you a passthru reliably.  For me, since going down to >45lbs., that is a 2 blade.  The 2 blades that I can get the sharpest are the Magnus, Ace Standard, and Zwickey.  That being said, I have probably killed more deer with Zwickeys.  Lots of great broadheads out there these days to choose from.  Have fun and try'em all!     :archer:
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
Two blades are every bit as effective! You just have to put them in the right place. A bad shot is a bad shot, no matter what kind of bow or broadhead!

Bisch

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2014, 10:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by IAhunter86:
Hey guys, what kinds of broadheads do you use? I love the thought of oldschool 2 blades but are they as effective in dropping game quickly as 3 and 4 blades? I use grim reapers with my compound and they are amazing. Not sure im getting the FPS with my recurve to use them.
You got some great info on here about 2, 3, and 4 blade heads. I would stay away from using an expandable broadhead like the reaper with a stickbow. There are a lot of variables that could be covered, but the standard use to be around 60 foot pounds of kinetic energy for an expandable. Stick with the quality cut on contact heads and you will be extremely happy. Good luck!

Offline IAhunter86

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Hey thanks for the info everybody I wouldnt of even know where to start until reading this thread. One more question. I'm shooting a bear grizzly 50# @ 28" with beman classics 500 spine and 100gr insert. would would be a recomended gr broadhead? Im shooting 125gr field points right now. Should i bump up my arrow wweight or stay where I'm at?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
10 grains per pound of bow weight seems to be the most popular arrow weight.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »
SuperK,

Were those 5 blades you mentioned the NAP 5 blade Razorbaks from around the mid-1980's? I think I still have some in the box in the basement.    :)   They were 145grs, if I recall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©