3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bears - after the shot, do you carry a gun?  (Read 861 times)

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Bears - after the shot, do you carry a gun?
« on: March 06, 2014, 05:55:00 AM »
Last year we had a Bear around on our land and I found fresh poop in October and saw it on November 27 which was way late I figure. I plan to set up for it this Fall and was wondering about the follow up after the shot. If there is a shot, of course.

Death moan or no, good shot or bad, do you have just your bow or do you have a gun for the tracking job?
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bears - after the shot, do you carry a gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Neither,  most of our shots have come in the evening and most were short track jobs.   If they weren't found within 50 to 75 yards , we wait till morning.   We have done all Ontario hunts, and for the most part everyone used bows, so we didn't even have guns with us.   May want to check the regs on tracking with a weapon.    You hit a bear good and they don't go far, you hit em bad and they go forever,  trust me .
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
My bear hunts have all been in Ontario, so I had no handgun available. Some guys carry a shotgun along and it does give a sense of safety when looking for a hit animal. I agree that bears go down quickly if hit well. I always approach from the front and watch for breathing and touch the eyeball with an arrow tip.( We did have one jump up and run off as we stood over it once, so check for breathing and touch the eyeball!)

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »
If I'm bowhunting ... I'm bowhunting ,  no guns around.. never had a issue with a dead bear .  If you have doubts give it some time and track slowly in the daylight and follow up with another arrow if needed
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:00 AM »
just a bow
<><
<----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:10:00 AM »
I had a .44 in my gear.  Gave it to the guide and he ran around to approach from above ( I saw where it went down, but couldn't actually see it in the brush).

I carried my bow and tracked the blood trail (VPA heads work well) and we got to the bear at the same time. It was dead.   no death moan though.

Funny, the "guide" had not had a trad hunter before and when I loaded up the pistol and handed it to him, keeping my longbow in hand, he gave me a weird look.

ChuckC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
I agree with the statement that bears hit well don't go far.  Most of the time.  But there are exceptions,  so like any animal, don't give up hope just because they go more than 100 yards.

My first bear I hit back a little bit and we ended up finding him the next morning a good 600 yards from the shot site shot through the liver.

And just last fall I helped a friend track a huge bear that he had hit the day before.  About 200 yards from the shot site we jumped the bear,  still very much alive but in rough shape.  We backed off and left him for another night.  When he was ultimately found we could see the arrow had hit very well maybe 6 inches behind the leg but angling forward and only taking one lung.  I would have never thought that bear would be recovered and am still amazed that it lived so long.  

My point is don't give up on marginal hits just because they go further than expected.  Not all bears follow the rules.  

As to the question about guns,  yes, in cases like those above I like someone to have a gun if possible.  But I will follow up good hits without one for at least the first 100 yards.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Here where I live and hunt, I'm always packin, never know what you're gonna run into.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:09:20 PM by elkslayer4x5 »
'skin that one, and I'll get ya another!"

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:33:00 AM »
No.
Tom

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
The Bears Den in Caramat Ontario has a fair number of broken baseball bats from dispatching wounded bears.  If you need a gun, the bear isn't all that hard hit in the first place.
lll

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
Got my .40 on my belt with 17 in her . Not just for bear though. It is very dangerous in the woods when you have cartels working the national forest.

God bless, Steve

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
for blackies I don't but there have been a couple of friends bears that should have got a rifle follow up and were ultimately unrecovered,  I feel any hit on a animal is enough to justify finishing no matter how it needs to be done.  I wouldn't think of risking a failed recovery just for the sake of my bowhunting prowess.  as for brown bears I always carry as you are on the ground with them when you send a arrow, and ill be leaving the bow behind when bloodtrailing.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkslayer4x5:
Here where I live and hunt, I'm always packin, never know what you're gonna run into.

^This.  Lots of cougars where I hunt.  Also meth heads, bears, coyotes and now wolves.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
Some States allow bowhunters to carry, but not all.
Bear spray may be an option for some.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 02:26:00 AM »
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. IMHO

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »
Thanks for the comments.
I have a friend here in Nova Scotia who has taken a few bears and says he'd never follow up without a gun.
I'll see how it goes, on the first one (once again, assuming there is one) I'll probably carry a gun, but if the bear hunting is to continue, I may get braver. Not too worried about a bullet hole in my bow shot animal, whatever it takes...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »
Nothing will bite me in the country I hunt.  In Ontario in the 1980's one of my friends carried a 30-30 when tracking a bow-shot bear. Never needed it - bears always quite dead.

I'm legal to carry but the only time I do so is when I'm at the Mall....isn't that a terrible commentary on our society these days!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 01:27:00 PM »
I don't and won't. Its a good way to calm your fear though.
But not an expert on harvesting bears.

I do carry bear spray when scouting for lions and bear and female moose protecting calfs, and it will stop an animal at least as well as a handgun.
If it can stop a charging female grizz at full throttle it will stop a wounded bear at full throttle- no difference in their objective, which is to take you out.

There are enough true encounters using spray that support the claims that spray works.

But our fear won't let us accept that a can will stop almost certain death coming at 35mph.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
No, usually don't carry a gun, If anything it's been an 18inch axe. That being said I've been tracking with people who wouldn't track without a gun and have been made to very scared because of their jumpiness and gun handling.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
There was a good article about this subject on Traditional bowhuner magazine.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©