3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bears - after the shot, do you carry a gun?  (Read 860 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bears - after the shot, do you carry a gun?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
I read Glen St. Charles' book a year or so ago.  He made a statement that really got me too thinking.  He felt if a back-up (I know the post starter wasn't talking about back-ups)something was lost to the bowhunt.

He felt that even when hunting Kodiak, Grizzly, or Polar bear a back-up rifle or shotgun slug gun would take away from the experience.

I have no idea if I would have the courage to face a Kodiak at under 15 yards without a gun toter behind/beside me?

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
If you're hunting bears with a partner a small caliber handgun can be mighty handy. When the bear charges you shoot your partner in the knee then run like the dickens...   :scared:

:biglaugh:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Very funny Ron! Probably the best strategy I've heard    :thumbsup:

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
I jumped over this thread a few times and wasn't going to say anything, (and I might be sorry) but... oh what the heck...

I earned a living for the major part of my adult life as a guide. One of the things I guided for was black bears (which was primitive weapon only, mostly bows).

I would always try to pick up the bear the same evening it was shot to preserve the quality of the meat and the hide, so I usually went looking for them after dark.

Kind of long to explain the "whys" but I never ever carried or even had access to a firearm. Still don't when I hunt for myself and the few people I take out now.

I don't know how many times I did it, but I must have found at least 500 at night. Most died fairly quickly and didn't have time to run very far before expiring, but there are always exceptions.

Usually: if the hit is not good, you will not be able to catch up to the bear and he will heal (gut shot bears can be an exception), and if you do catch up to the bear, he will not be in any shape to be very dangerous.

Occasionally though I would find, and have to deal with a wounded bear -  the spine shot bears are usually the most dangerous because they're feeling very little pain, their vitals are normal, and they are still thinking clearly. A bear's business is all in the front end and a spine wounded bear can sometimes travel as fast as a man can walk just by using his powerful front legs.

Anyway, the most practical, effective, and humane way I dealt with them was by cutting a pole, duct taping my sheath knife to the end, and slipping it between their ribs.

Letting them suffer or letting them die in some isolated swamp a few days later would have been cruel and a waste.

But, I'm definitely not advising anyone to do that. It can be and in fact it is dangerous. You really have to know what you're doing. Better to err on the safe side...  if your not sure of the hit wait until daylight, don't track alone, and if you have any doubts (about yourself or the bear), carry an open sight rifle or shotgun.

I'm not a doctor, a lawyer, an electrician, a plumber, a carpenter, or an engineer. In the big scheme of things, I know nothing.

But I know black bears.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Ibow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Thanks for posting Ken ... Certainly your opinion as a truly "traditional" bowhunter carries weight and I'm glad you responded. Indeed, if there's anyone who knows bears and bear hunting them with a bow, it would be you.    :thumbsup:

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 03:32:00 AM »
In my personal bear hunting, and trapping bears for work I have found them, more than any other species I've worked with, to have particularly individual unique personalities. Some bears are smart, others dopey, some inquisitive, others grumpy. It can change depending on the day as well.   Some run at the first sign of danger, others stick around and check you out, the wheels turning in their head as they size you up.  With that said, I'd say 98% of black bears are significantly more interested in self preservation than challenging you.  However, that other 2% is what can get interesting.  

How you deal with this potential is up to you.  Some enjoy the rush of not having anything but the bow on them.  Others demand a rifle or shotgun for follow up.  

With grizzlies, all bets are off...I carry protection in grizz country.

Hit 'em good, hear the death moan and you're sitting pretty.

Cheers, Matt
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
No.  

I've been bluff charged, teeth popped, huffed at, etc.  They're nothing to worry about.  They deserve respect but not fear.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
I don't worry about it for hogs and other large game. Bows and arrows have been getting the job done for millennia.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
I've been on many bear trails over the years. I never carried a gun and never felt the need for one.

The one exception was some years ago in Ontario on a spring hunt. I arrived in camp late in the afternoon. The weather was warm and I was wearing a T shirt, shorts and moccasins on my feet. I was talking to the outfitter when one of the hunters that had been out on stand that afternoon came into camp all excited saying he had hit a huge bear. He said he hit it in the hind quarters and the bear had dragged it's self off.

Jack, the outfitter jumped in his truck with the hunter to go trail the bear. Not wanting to miss the action I jumped in also not having time to change into something more appropriate for the Canadian bush. When we got to the site, Jack pulled out a shotgun he kept behind the seat of his truck and away we went.

The story that the hunter told was that the beat came in and his first shot him him on top of the back above his back legs. The bear rolled around on the ground growling and popping it's teeth. The hunter tried to put another arrow into the bear bur missed every shot until his quiver was empty.I think he was a little excited..     :scared:  

The bear was huge, he later dressed out over 400lb's and remember it was a spring bear. He turned and came at me popping his teeth..     :knothead:    I got the hunter to come forward and he started shooting arrows at the pi$$ed off bruin..     :knothead:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »
Good story, Ron.
That's quite a picture in the mind's eye, you in T-shirt and shorts on the follow-up. A good How Not to...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
 A good How Not to..  
I agree, that's why I related the story..   :readit:

Offline Frank V

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
There can be Grizzlys in most any part of our country so I ALWAYS pack hunting.    :dunno:
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©