3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Draw length measurement?  (Read 608 times)

Offline shuter

• Trad Bowhunter
Draw length measurement?
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Guys, is draw length measured to the very FRONT of the riser, or to a point in the middle of the riser?

I am exactly 28" to the front of my longbow riser. Just wondering if that's my DL, based on the common measurement.

Thanks

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Draw length measurement?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
from the deepest part of the grip plus add 1 3/4".
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 04:03:00 PM »
The part of the riser furthest from you is actually referred to as the back of the riser...for most purposes that is where your draw length would be measured

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline shuter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much). So is it to part of riser furthest from me/closest to target or part of riser closest to ME (I assume that's the "deepest part" referred to?), plus 1 3/4"?

Thanks

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 04:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by shed hunter:
from the deepest part of the grip plus add 1 3/4".
:thumbsup:
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
Think about it this way....while at full draw pointer finger to pointer finger. Once you visualize that, you can use the method used above.

Offline CDorton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 05:11:00 PM »
Measure to the part of the riser farthest from you. That is the back side of the bow. The side that is facing you is the belly side. The technically correct way to measure is from the deepest part of the grip +1 3/4", but if you just measure to the back of the riser it will be very close, and its easier.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by TxAg:
Think about it this way....while at full draw pointer finger to pointer finger. Once you visualize that, you can use the method used above.
Huh?   :dunno:

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 08:50:00 AM »
Here's what I do:

Put a wooden clothes pin on your arrow, horizontally, about 10" from your field point.  Position the portion of the pin that you pinch so that it will encounter the riser when you draw your bow.  Slowly achieve full draw, as you do so the pin will slide down the arrow.  Measure from the valley of the nock to the clothes pin, and this will reveal your draw length for that bow.  You may do this a few times to get a more accurate idea.  Bear in mind that your draw length will vary somewhat on different bows; for example, a straight Hill style grip versus a locater type grip.

Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
The yellow line is draw length.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
as Charlie says above is what i have been taught as the correct way, however thats what always been my issue charlie, when i shoot a heavy recurve, the draw length is going to be different from when i shoot one of my bend thru the handle self bows???

first time i have ever hear of the other method, adding the 1 3/4", it  seems to be more standard

Offline shuter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
The yellow line is draw length.

Thanks all. I spoke to Herb Meland of Pronghorn Custom yesterday about a bow and he said he uses the measurement to the "back" of riser, as outlined by Charlie here. I suppose others might measure differently.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
The way Charlie shows it is the method most Bowhunters use.
If your into technical stuff and AMO then the deepest part of the grip and 1 3/4" comes into play.

That's great for comparison between bowyers but for Bowhunters we need to know where the broadhead clears the riser and how long to build our arrows no matter how much dish in the riser or how thick.

K.I.S.S.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »
What is the purpose of adding the 1 3/4" after you measure from the deepest part of the grip? I just measured the thickness of my Bear grizzly grip and it is only 1 3/8". Not only that I also have a Martin Savannah LB and everyone knows the grips on LBs aren't 1 3/4" thick.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by motorhead7963:
What is the purpose of adding the 1 3/4" after you measure from the deepest part of the grip? I just measured the thickness of my Bear grizzly grip and it is only 1 3/8". Not only that I also have a Martin Savannah LB and everyone knows the grips on LBs aren't 1 3/4" thick.
Standardization.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
There is no STANDARD size grip/handle for any given Bow.
You can't do that for every bow, if you do ALOT of people will have incorrect DL per there setup.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by motorhead7963:
There is no STANDARD size grip/handle for any given Bow.
You can't do that for every bow, if you do ALOT of people will have incorrect DL per there setup.
I respectfully disagree with you...

There is an "AMO Standard" of 1.75" in depth.  and and AMO standard draw length is measured accordingly as the sketch below shows.

btw.... here is the documentation if youd like to read it yourself.

http://www.outlab.it/doc/amostd.pdf  

Offline Gregg S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I'll just throw this out there. I think that most guys think that their draw length is longer then it actually is. Most measure it by drawing back to their anchor and either use the cloths pin or have someone look at a mark on their arrow. I think that you will find a difference when you draw back with the intention of someone getting a reading on your draw length and when your actually aiming and shooting at something. I put a small O ring on the arrow and then draw and actually shoot at something. The O ring is set at 1/2" longer then I think that my draw is. As I'm aiming I can feel the ring just touching my index finger. This will also show you if you are creeping before the shot. This is also really good if you happen to snap shoot because it is really hard for someone to see a mark on your arrow when it's not at full draw for long. You will either feel it or you won't. If you don't, move it in 1/4" until you do. You will lose some O rings in the target but you get a whole bag for 50 cents. Most guys that I show this to end up realizing that their draw length is about 1/2" less then they thought.

Offline kawika b

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Aye... the point where your hand contacts the bow (deepest part of the grip) to where your anchor point + 1.75" doesn't change no matter what bow you shoot... hence standardization... unless I really understood that wrong.
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
KirkII: OK I will buy that, BUT.... not all Bows have a 1 3/4" thick riser handle. Thus giving the Bow holder the wrong DL if they are using that method unwaveringly. This is a discussion that is subject to too many variables, IE: bow make, riser style, handle grip(low, med, high wrist)and last of all bow design. I do as stated above by putting a clothes pin on an arrow and drawing the bow. I do this a few times to get as close to correct DL for ME and call it good.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©