3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)  (Read 977 times)

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
I returned last week from my first bighorn sheep bowhunt in Colorado.  Thought I'd share the story and some photos.

Part 1 - preparation:

I've been trying to draw a bighorn ram tag for some years now, and decided to try for a ewe tag in Colorado as a second choice.  Such a hunt would allow me to finally bowhunt bighorn sheep and provide great, if not expensive, practice for my eventual ram bowhunt.  In only my second year of trying, I drew a ewe tag in Colorado.  

I immediately began a pretty lively exercize program, combining running, biking and hiking with my pack, as well as climbing the stairs at my office building (in hindsight, it would be best to exercize like this all year round and step it up to the next level as needed)....

I also borrowed a sheep target and practiced steep angle shots from above..

These shots are tough.  

Wish now that I would have practiced the very steep uphill shots, but couldn't find a safe way to do this at my house.  However, I was deadly with the downhill shots....

"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
This is going to be good!  :bigsmyl:
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline robslifts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:17:00 PM »
sounds like a great time   hope ya had fun
St. Joe River Bows

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Nice shooting. Waiting for more
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
Part 2 - scouting trip:

I ordered topo maps of my unit and found several articles about sheep hunting there.  Did an internet search and found some specific information.  I also talked with several experienced bowhunters who provided some tips about certain areas to hunt.  I had driven through this unit just the past fall on the way to a deer hunt, but had never actually scouted it.  The CO DOW conducts sheep counts in which volunteers can participate and help.  I signed up and was lucky enough to be paired with terrestial biologist (and trad bowhunter) Janet George, so off to Colorado I flew in early July.

I live at 1000', but the air sure is thin at 11,000' to 13,000'.  The views are great...

I had a 3 day weekend to scout, but didn't see a sheep the first day.  I did find this deer skull..

My little rental jeep didn't like some of the rough roads in the mountains, but I was able to access some areas with sheep the second day.  I spent most of the third day with Janet, seeing more sheep and learning a lot about the area and sheep...

I flew home tired but happy - I had seen sheep, deer, elk, a bear, and a mountain goat, plus had found some areas to hunt where I might get away from the other hunters.  I had also spent some time with a friend of a friend, who is a serious trad bowhunter and would scout my area for me.  I also stopped in and visited with some experienced sheep bowhunters close to my unit, who offered encouragement and tips about specific areas.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 03:29:00 PM »
great pics! nice bow...i miss my drifter

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 03:51:00 PM »
Looking forward to the rest of the story and pictures Jeff!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Now that's how you prepare for a hunt. Great stuff! Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
Ummmm....shouldn't you be posting MORE pictures???

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for letting us share.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
This is gonna be good. Keep it coming Jeff!
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Keep it up Jeff, I'm looking forward to the rest of this one......  :thumbsup:  

Nice pics too.....

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
Part 3 - game plan:

From reading articles and books about sheep hunting, as well as from advice from experienced sheep hunters, the 2 main methods to hunt sheep seemed to be either drive the roads, spot sheep and go after them, or lace up the boots and cover lots of ground where your scouting indicates the sheep are living, then stalk them.

For the first method, my unit had enough major roads going through it that seeing sheep from those roads wasn't hard - I saw sheep from the roads myself.  These sheep are easily viewed from the public and because of negative public image, there is a 1/4 mile
"no sheep hunting" buffer from the 2 main roads through my unit.  I heard several stories about this method of hunting that caused me to want no part of it.  I much prefer to get away from other hunters and the public.

The second method seemed better for me, but my hunt would occur during the third season - the sheep would have already been pressured by the sheep hunters from the previous 2 seasons (about 2 weeks each, starting near the beginning of August) as well as deer and elk bowhunters.  Turns out the muzzleloader season opened during my hunt and I saw more of those hunters than sheep or bowhunters.  I am not a good stalker, especially in this open country.  Another problem is that unlike the rams, the ewes and lambs tend to bunch up for protection so it is much harder to stalk up on a group like these 24 sheep I encountered late in my hunt.......

Another factor is the sometimes nasty country these sheep move into when pressured.  Going after sheep in this type of cover is not easy for a flatlander like me, and dangerous since I hunted alone the entire 10 days....

Even with good boots and being careful, I took several spills and was pretty scared several times.  I had a cell phone (which I managed to lose) but I could have been in serious trouble with a bad fall.  Another factor was the daily thunderstorms in the early part of my hunt, which sometimes came out of nowhere.  Once I got caught in the open and took shelter in some rocks.  I got soaked and scared with lightning crashing around me, plus the boulder that rolled down the hill only 10' from me.

So I chose an unusual plan:  pick a basin away from the roads and most other hunters, and hang out there and hope to learn the sheep's patterns enough to ambush a bighorn ewe.  I picked this basin.....

I knew my plan wasn't going to result in many real chances at a sheep, but it would be easier for me as a flatlander and should offer chances to observe and learn about sheep.  I always carry a Bible in my pack, and I had plenty of time to catch up on my reading during the slow days or during the storms.

Did I mention that I got a deer tag too?  I saw some mule deer during my scouting trip and decided to hunt them as well, if the sheep were not cooperating.  I'm still looking for my first mule deer.  Turns out there are elk in this area too, but I resisted the temptation to buy that tag, since I have MT elk and deer tags for later in the season.  This basin I chose had good sheep habitat on both sides - the adjacent basin to the east held sheep too....

The adjacent basin to the west was good but received more pressure.  The sheep liked the timber at the south end of the basin - I hunted there on the slow days and saw a lot of sheep sign but never actually saw a sheep there....

However, I did find this in the timber close to my camp - maybe a lion kill?

More likely killed by a hunter and not recovered, but there are lions in this area. I did see bear sign in the timber near my camp, and there was a pack of coyotes living in the basin that I saw almost every day. It was interesting watching the sheep's reaction to them when they started howling - the ewes and young rams didn't seem to care, but the lambs crowded close to the ewes.

More to follow later.....

Offline Sean Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
Keep them coming Jeff!  I can't wait!  :clapper:

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Nice pics and story so far.  Looking forward to the rest.

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 10:46:00 AM »
Excellent photos and storytelling.  We're hungry for more, please!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
what was your shooting epuipment?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »
Hey, don't be stingy and try to draw this out...

WE WANT MORE PICTURES   :readit:     :D

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »
Yeah, what he said!  

Of course he is allowed to say that after his fine thread with story and pics.  Me?  I'm just begging for more.....
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:    :campfire:    :coffee:   More Please...
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©