3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)  (Read 989 times)

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
Hi Jeff!    :wavey:    This is great stuff.  Thanks for sharing the story and pics.    :thumbsup:   I need to get back to work on that getting in shape part.     BTW, Nice bow.  Rick
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Great stuff!!!!  I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 10:14:00 PM »
Sorry for teasing.  About my shooting equipment, I got a very nice Brackenbury Drifter from Fletcher several years ago (thanks again Rick, I love that bow), with 51# and 61# limbs.  I almost always use the 61# limbs, but about a month before my hunt I somehow hurt my shoulder and couldn't even draw the bow.  I gave it a 2 week rest, saw my doctor and got some anti-inflamatory meds and put on the 51# limbs.  They shot the Goldtip carbon arrows and 125 grain Woodsmans well - I should have stuck with them, but several days before I left for Colorado, I switched back to the heavier limbs, heavier arrows and 160 grain Woodsmans (with adapters).  I am not a very good shot, needing a lot of practice - I usually carry a judo-tipped arrow in the quiver to stump shoot but in the high country there are nothing but rocksa to shoot at.  I took along a Block-type target and shot it a little when I would come out to the truck, but ultimately this lack of practice would cost me in my one good shot opportunity.....

One more thing about my decision to hunt a basin and try to ambush a sheep, instead of the more traditional sheep hunting methods.  This probably wouldn't work for rams, and if I was in better shape, I would have walked more.  But I got this idea when on the sheep count with Janet George when she pointed out some old "rock sheep fences/walls and blinds" and explained how they would push the sheep into these funnels for a kill.......

Steve O has a photo of an indian rock blind in his sheep hunting thread.  I was fascinated the more I learned about these structures (Janet sent several research papers on the subject), where they built a system of stone fences/walls to force the sheep to bottlenecks, and killed as many as possible.  Check out this stone wall, which comes to a point in a saddle between 2 mountains....

I spent several hours on 2 different days examining these areas.  At one point where the stone wall came to a point in the saddle, there were 3 clearly seen rock blinds uphill of the point, and one located right at the point.  This is a typical rock blind....

It was situated where the animals would crest the saddle only 20-30 yards away, and would hopefully be surprised by the natives with either bows or atlatls.  My imagination worked overtime, thinking of the group hunts that had transpired here over the centuries - wish I could go back in time.  It appeared that there were numerous modifications and additions to the main walls/fences.

This one was unusual in that wood was used for both the wall and the blind - so it was used not that long ago....

Anyway, my thinking was that killing a sheep with my bow near these old rock fences, using an ambush, would be fun.  Yes, I know, I'm weird, but that is what I was thinking.  I guess going all out in primitive archery, with a wood selfbow, cane arrows, flint head, etc. would have more meaning here - maybe some day.....

Hunt stories tomorrow, I promise......
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline DW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
AWESOME story and pics!!!!!!!Don and Skyler
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 10:21:00 PM »
Ah, man, Jeff.  I didn't like that foreshadowing of "lack of practice cost me my one good shot opportunity".  I was drooling just thinking about some sheep steaks (with a little mint jelly, of course) at Horse Creek.  Guess we'll be stuck eating standard road kill!

Guess we'll be happy with more tales and photos....carry on.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
WOW! Can't wait for more...!
Mike Davenport

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Jeff,

I think your ambush idea was a good one...one of my closest chances came on an ambush.  I'll never forget that ram popping out of the timber 300 yards away exactly as I predicted and then walking right to me at 23 yards and then busting me   :banghead:  

To me, the indians were pretty smart and it seemed to me they had a LOT of spare time   ;)  

I noticed they built a huge pile of rocks about a hundred yards from the blind.  That is what I originally thought was the blind.  Did you see that near yours?  I was wondering if it was a landmark or an observation post...any ideas?

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
Waiting for the next chapter to be written. Heck of a story and great pictures.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »
Great story!  And on the Native American Funnels and blinds, I'd just like to say -- "It would be really cool to take a sheep out of one of those blinds"!

Following in the steps of the hunters who used to haunt those mountains!  I'd be useless for years if I could pull that one off!

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
Marvin, I had the same thought.  I actually got into this blind for a little while (seen in my last photo, with both wood and rock).....

I was amused to see sheep poop in the blind.  Speaking of that, I have always been suspicious of raisins.  Now I know why....

Anyway, check out "Research Report 7 from the Center for Mountain Archeology, Ward Colorado, The game drives of the Rocky Mountain National Park" if this topic interests you.  Steve, I did see such a structure as you mentioned - my guess is that the hunt leader used that large rock blind to signal the shooters and drivers???????

Let's go hunting (finally).

Part 4 - The hunt:

I left NC early on Sept. 1 and arrived in Denver late in the afternoon of Sunday, Sept. 2.  I made 2 stops before heading to the mountains, the first at Jeff Davis's house for a quick visit and to change the road tires to off-road tires, and the second for dinner at a former coworker's house.  Arriving in Colorado in the middle of Labor Day weekend, I knew to expect lots of company in the mountains.  Therefore I souldn't have been surprised to find 8-9 vehicles at the trailhead of my primary basin.  Discouraged, I changed plans and headed to the adjacent basin to the east, arriving right at dusk. There were less hunters and campers there (the road was horrible, my truck took a beating), and I saw 2 nice mulie bucks in a meadow close by.  Sheep season for me didn't actuually start until tuesday (9/4), but I could hunt mule deer and scout the next day.  I was tired but excited as I stood on the hill and looked up at the stars and breathed that cool mountain air.  I heard a elk bugle in the darkness below and smiled - I love these rocky mountains!  I have been waiting for this day for months.  I spent an hour organizing my gear before turning in for the night, sleeping in the truck rather than setting up a camp because I knew I'd move to my primary basin once the weekend crowds left.

I was up before daylight on day 1 of my hunt, back at the meadow but didn't find the mulies.  I ended up doing quite a bit of walking, both in this secondary basin and over to the west to peek into "my" basin.  Unfortunately I don't have any lightweight gear so my pack was heavy - probably pushing 35 to 40 pounds.  I set up the spotting scope and was happy with what I saw....

I ended up seeing 9 sheep - all ewes and lambs in "my" basin and watched them for hours.  They went through this gap several times, just above the huge rock....

I ended up back at the truck before dark, tired, wet but pretty happy, especially after finding that the crowd had all left the mountain.  I had sat above them earlier and watched them race their quads, shoot at tin cans, and generally have fun.  Now it was quiet.  I checked the meadow again until dark but the 2 mulie bucks didn't reappear.  I decided to be at the edge of my basin at daylight the next day to learn more about those 9 sheep...
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Jeff great story and pictures. Thanks for taking us along on what would be the trip of a life time for me. Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
I KNEW I Didnt like Raisins for a Reason. Now I know why. LOL  :biglaugh:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 01:01:00 PM »
I hiked to the edge of my basin in the dark, arriving with first light.  I got the spotting scope set up and soon began seeing the white butts of feeding sheep.  By noon I had watched 19 ewes and lambs feed and move all over the basin, plus a group of mule deer.  I initially wanted to go right after the sheep, but decided to stick with my plan and just watch from a safe distance.  I also saw 2 other sheep bowhunters, walking the ridges.  One of them stopped and checked out "my" sheep, but moved on since there were no rams present.  I decided it was time to set up my camp in the timber at the bottom of my basin and begin moving in on the sheep, so the rest of the day was spent doing this.

It was about 2 miles from the trailhead to where I wanted to camp.  I used my redneck game carrier for the first part where there was a trail.....

and eventually set up a nice camp right near the edge of timberline, next to a stream.....

A big storm moved in the night of my second day, and I woke up to heavy rain - I didn't even get out of the tent until mid morning.  This greeted me when I finally got to my observation point...

It was afternoon before I could finally see up into the basin, and I saw the south end of a group of sheep headed north.   The only good thing was that I noticed the nice bench they used, way up near 13,000'.  They fed right out of the basin and I discovered a fault with my plan - what to do when the sheep left? I didn't see a sheep for the next 2 days, except this young ram that I would become pretty familiar with, over the 10 day hunt....

Lucky for me, there was a group of mule deer bucks that began using the basin.  On the day 5 I watched this group feed for several hours and finally bed down....

I made a stalk that took 4 hours that did nothing to boost my confidence.  I thought that I knew exactly where they were located, but everything looks different from above.  I got above them, looked all over, gave up after some refreshment from the snowbank (forgot my water bottle)..

before dropping 1500' to my observation point.  What did I see when I looked through the scope - the same 7 bucks and they were rolling around with laughter.  All that effort for nothing????

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
I guess it wasn't all for nothing.  I got to watch the bucks for several hours, and saw a young buck with dangling velvet try to remove and eat this velvet.  And I checked out that bench up near that snowbank - found a good ambush point and decided to be there at daylight the next day, thinking the sheep should be returning soon..

Usually I can get up before daylight easily, but maybe the climbing, rain showers, dehydrated food, etc. was taking its toll.  In other words, I hit the snooze button too many times and I was chugging up the 2000' climb, gasping and sweating, when it was getting daylight.  Only 50 yards from that bench and ambush point, I saw a lamb and a ewe walking only 10 yards past the rock that was to be my ambush place!  They soon smelled and saw me, and spooked...

Another 2 ewes came and the same thing happened.  A young ram walked past the snow bank also....

I was not happy with myself - 10 or 15 minutes earlier and I would have had a chance at an easy shot!  Getting a very early start on the sheep is important!

I was cheered up somewhat when I saw the now familiar young ram feed into the basin and head my way.  Eventually he got close and spotted me....

They sure are beautiful animals..

I was concerned about identifying ewes versus young rams.  This ram turned and made sure I could tell that he was a ram....

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
and.......?

Offline Titan_Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Did you pack in at Berthoud Pass?

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2007, 06:23:00 PM »
Great, great story Jeff, keep it coming my friend.......

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
Jeff,

1.  You better not let Patrick see that pic of you totin' all his high $ gear on that frigerater cart   ;)  

2.  What is the extra strip of tarp on the Paratipi for?

3.  What did you do for eats?

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Titan, I noticed that other hunters used that route, so I avoided it.

Steve, I placed that tarp to help protect against heavy rains - had some leakage last fall in a soaking rain that froze, then melted.  I lost 10 pounds by eating oatmeal for breakfast, and apple/nuts/crackers for lunch and a Mountainhouse meal for dinner.  My pepsi can stove was barely adequate at this elevation.

The view from this elevation was good...

but by this part of my hunt I needed a break, so I called some new friends nearby and asked if I could stop by for a shower, to wash my clothes and get some real food.  They were wonderful hosts and I left their house recharged, from the great food and hunting stories we shared.  I got back to the trailhead at dark, but decided to sleep in the truck and head out in the morning.

Sunday dawned clear and cool, and I covered some ground but it was a sheepless day.  I did get within 30 yards of 2 forky bucks before the wind betrayed me.  I found fresh sheep sign, just couldn't find the sheep....

I knew that time was running out and my plan to pattern and then ambush the sheep wasn't producing too much action.  I was determined to be up early and in position at my observation point at daylight tomorrow, day 8.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks.

I had a Jetboil and it is awesome!  

My meals out in camp:

Oatmeal and dried friut for breakfast:

http://www.naturespath.com/products/hot_cereals

Various different stuff for lunch, but the clear winner was any one of the new Hamburger Helper Singles   :thumbsup:  

Dinners;  Bulk Mountain House Lasagna, various home made freeze dried meals (favorite was Terriaki Salmon with mashed potatoes and mixed veggies, and a couple of Backpacker's Pantry FD.  Backpacker's Pantry are MUCH tastier than MH IMO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©