3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)  (Read 990 times)

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Join me for a bighorn ewe bowhunt (pics)
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Oh man this is awesome....
I saw 2 HUGE full curl Sheep yesterday morning..AT 5 YDS!.TOO BAD THEY WERE ON THE ROAD ON THE WAY TO MY HUNTING SPOT!! a
This is a great story and Great pics.  Which unit is this and who took the pics with you in them...?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:00 PM »
The snowpeak gigipower at 3oz is probably THE BEST back packing stove I came on.

Combine that with a titanium pot, and one lexan spoon and you're still under the weight of one msr whisperlite.  You can cook this oatmeal and mthouse regime for almost a week.  This is the exact food menu I have on my sheep outings.   If you can afford the weight, mix the oatmeal with cold cereal.  Pre mix powdered milk but I can't remember the ceral (pm Steve H though I'm sure he's watching along and will see this)  It is heavy, though it's on a one way trip!

Great photos and story.  I'm envious, sheep season closed for us today, another year I didnt make the sheep mountians.  Just home saturday and I sorely miss them.

Can't wait for more!

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay - trying to get lots of work done before I leave next week for another hunt.

As noted before, there were several reasons for my decision to set up a camp several miles from the trailhead.  Because I am relatively new to backpack/backcountry hunting and there is much to learn, I decided to get out there and do it. One experienced sheep hunter said "enjoy the overall experience" and I did that.  Besides all the things to do for the actual hunt, you also need to worry about shelter, clothes and food.  I found that my shelter and bedding system was adequate, but I need to upgrade to a real stove to boil water.  Dan and Steve obviously have some experience that I need to learn from.  For clothing, my rain gear was junk and failed in the first several days.  This didn't hurt me too much, as overall I had good weather and my truck was only several miles away.  I did get cold on day 9 - it had snowed some on day 8 and there was ice on the stream as I got some water to boil for my oatmeal.  For food, I was always hungry!  The MH meals were OK.  Since my upcoming hunt will be in bear country, I did practice keeping a clean camp, hanging the food bag high in a tree away from camp.  For gear, I could have used better optics - I only have Nikon 10x42 binos and Alpin 15x30 spotting scope, but they were good enough.

So this time, I woke right away when the alarm sounded, quickly dressed and ate breakfast, and was 500' higher in the basin when the first light entered the basin.  Didn't see anything until a nice mulie buck came running into the basin at mid morning, then slowed and finally bedded in the open.  He was big and had some of his velvet hanging down.  I watched until he relaxed and fell asleep, then began the stalk.  An hour later I was only 100 yards away and beginning to get excited, when 3 little bucks busted the whole thing - I hadn't noticed them but they sure noticed me.  Oh well, back to my observation point for a snack - it was late morning.

Scanning the eastern rock slope of the basin, where I hadn't seen any sheep the entire hunt, I picked up 4 white butts in the binos - 3 ewes and that same young ram.  Using the spotting scope, I recognized the lead ewe from her collar - Ms. V-4.  She was the ewe I saw early on day 6, up on the bench below the snowbank.  Best part was they were in some rocks where I could stalk them and the wind was good.  I watched them feed and picked the best route, then began the stalk.  Half way to them, they all bedded except Ms. V-4.  I had to cover some open ground between us, but then I slipped into an avalanch chute and moved to within 100 yards.  I peeked over the rocks and could see the ram and 2 ewes dozing in the sun, but not Ms. V-4.  I hoped that she was beeded on the other side of the rock formation that I was approaching.  I took my time at first but the wind began to swirl and I knew the game was almost over.  When I finally got to within 50 yards of where the 3 bedded sheep were, this is what I saw..

Can you see them?  They had winded me and were alert, but not as spooked as I expected.  I waited and they moved off and over a rise, so I ran closer and got to within 50 yards closer before they saw me.  Again they were not too spooked and actually began feeding away.  The young ram and another ewe had a bit of a disagreement, engaging their headgear before the ram settled the matter by raising on his hind legs and hitting her pretty hard.

I tried once more to close the distance but they knew where I was and always kept 50 yards ahaead, so I backed off and watched them for a while.  For a long while, actually - I couldn't figure out how to get within range but didn't want to run them away.  I saw my break when near dark they fed into a rock formation right across from my camp.  I eased down to camp through the timber and began making dinner right before dark.  I looked up and not 100 yards away, these sheep where calmly watching me - I wonder how many evenings they had done this already???

How many sheep do you see in the photo?

Anyway, I
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 01:47:00 PM »
this is a great story Jeff...Keep it coming!

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 01:55:00 PM »
Jeff,
Great job on the photos and story.  I look forward to your visit this weekend.
Bill

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »
I'm only seeing one, but I admit I'm a rookie on sheep.

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
I see two, now give another hunt update please.

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Oops, hit the wrong button.

I was very happy, because sheep usually stay in their beds until morning, and they were unconcerned and relaxed.  I would kill my ewe the very next morning, for sure, right there within sight of my camp!  By the way, in the last photo, one ewe is up and feeding to the right, and the young ram is bedded about 2 body lengths to the left and slightly above her, staring at the camera.  I learned to look for the white of his muzzle and his rump, as the light faded away.

I had no trouble getting up very early and quietly prepared for the day.  I began easing up the rock slope about 100 yards to the right and downwind of the sheep about 1 hour before dawn, getting into position about 30 yards above them (I thought).  Once I thought I heard a sheep sound, but wasn't sure since I never heard a wild sheep call before.  Sounded a little like the sound a Primos can call makes.  Apparently they heard my approach, or moved in the night, because they were NOT in their beds when it was light enough to shoot.....I slowly began searching for them but they knew I was there and moved off to the north in a rapid manner!  Again, I couldn't get closer than 50 yards.  By now I was ready for some dumber sheep, if there is such a thing.  I headed up the east slope of my basin, planning to find them.  Not 30 minutes later, I spotted white butts, lots of them, as a herd of sheep fed into the head of my basin, using that same bench below the snowbank.  Yesterday, before I saw the 4 sheep, I had decided to spend most of today, day 9, camped out on that bench.  I watched 24 sheep feed almost single file past that large rock on the bench where I planned to hide.  There were 12 ewes, 11 lambs and 1 young ram - seen is a previous photo.  Two of the ewes had collars on.  This would be a challenge....

(sorry, I must stop now and continue later - leaving for PA this afternoon and grandma doesn't have a computer.  I promise to finish the story on monday.)
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
Great stuff Jeff. Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend. Look forward to tuning in again on Monday.

Bill
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2007, 02:36:00 PM »
uhhhhh...................... ;)

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
This is awesome! Looking forward to more!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Jeff,

Lets get on with this great tale of adventure. I can't get a thing done at work.

Sean

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2007, 11:51:00 AM »
It's Monday...............  :wavey:    :archer:  

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Forester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing Jeff.  Very well done on all counts.
"A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke of his axe he is writing his signature on the face of his land." - Aldo Leopold -

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
OK I'm back for the grand finale......

I watched the herd of sheep for a little while and resisted the impulse to charge up the basin and get after them.  After all, today was really my last day of hunting, because I had a flight home tomorrow and planned to pack out the camp shortly after breakfast.  Then a plan came into my head - set up an ambush and forget a nearly impossible stalk on that many animals out in the wide open basin.  From watching several other spooked sheep earlier, I knew that these sheep would likely head to the steep slopes and rocks seen in this photo's background....

Specifically, that big "rock" right in line with the scope is the same one seen earlier, as a gap in the slope used by the sheep.  I decided to work my way up the west side of the basin and get at that gap, for the entire day if needed, in hopes the sheep would be spooked and move there.  I had spotted an orange-clad muzzleloader hunter on my side and I hoped that eventually he would move the sheep to my ambush spot.  I had to cross the bottom of the basin in full view of the sheep, but took my time and got to the west side and to my rock several hours later.  The sheep were relaxed, until finally the hunter did exactly what I hoped for and skylined himself on the east ridge.  Suddenly the sheep were alert and running into the rocks on the west slope, stopping sevweral hundred yards from me.  This was no ordinary slope - nearly vertical in spots but I was in the perfect location, only 12 yards downwind from the gap.....

It seemed to take forever but soon the lead ewe was only 100 yards away and headed right for me, when she stopped and began looking up the hill.  I groaned and prayed for here to continue her course - instead I should have backed up out of sight and began climbing, because when she made her move, it was a foot race up a very steep slope for the next gap in the slope.  My situation went from an advantage to a disadvantage and she beat me to the upper gap - I was 22 yards away and gasping for breath when I spotted the top of her horns.  I dropped down to the rocks and began drawing my bow, but rubbed the feathers in the quiver on a rock and she stopped and stared me down.  I still could only see the tops of her horns.

Seemed like forever but she looked ahead and took a step.  I slowly rose, drew with the bow horizontal cause I was out in the open, looked at the spot behind her shoulder and .......watched the arrow nose-dive into the rocks between us!  I made a terrible shot - all that work for nothing!  She turned and crashed away and I was left with extreme disgust that I couldn't close the deal on that animal.  I replayed the shot over and over in my mind - with the exhaustion/excitement, very steep angle, horizontal bow (from practice I remembered then that the impact was ususally lower than when I held the bow at a normal cant), I should have held the arrow back.  That thought flashed briefly in my mind right as I was drawing, but the wind was going up this avalanche chute and she was going to bust me within the next few steps.

I was devastated with my poor shooting and the hunt was over.  I had that chance I wanted and blew it.  Yes I had learned a lot, stayed with my strategy, had fun and all, but was disappointed.  I did shoot some at my target when I reached my truck the next morning - I was perfect when it didn't matter.  I flew home resolved to be in better shape, shoot more realistic shots as practice and use more restraint in shot selection, the next time.

Well, that was it.  Wish I could post a photo of me with a bighorn ewe, but I have memories that will stay with me a long time.  Maybe next time I'll make the shot.  I will continue applying for a ram tag, and look forward to my next sheep bowhunt.  Thanks for joining me.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2007, 02:51:00 PM »
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing, you took some spectacular pictures.  It sure is exciting, isn't it?

Good luck with the elk; you will for sure be in top shape.

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
Jeff, Sorry you did not close the deal, but what a great adventure. Thanks for sharing Glenn
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline bluegill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
Great story Jeff,

Thanks for taking us along, I know it is a considerable amount of work to write these hunts up and get the pics together.

Sean

Offline ZaneD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2007, 03:04:00 PM »
Well, sorry you didn't connect. but thanks for a great story with some fantastic pics!

Offline Trout Guide

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2007, 03:19:00 PM »
Jeff,
Thanks for the recap and the great pictures. It sounds like you had a great hunt. I've been lucky enough to have hunted sheep and you brought back some fond memories.
John 3:16

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©