3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String for bamboo backed oak bow??  (Read 299 times)

Offline silent sniper

• Trad Bowhunter
String for bamboo backed oak bow??
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Hey guys I need a quick suggestion. I am in the process of making my first bow. It is an white oak core bow with bamboo backing and purple heart handle and tip overlays. My question is what strings do you use on these all wood bows? I shoot SBD strings on my caribow wolverines but didn't know if this bow could handle a skinny string. I know this bow will not have the performance my radical R/D wolverines do but I would like to get the most out of it that I can. Would you suggest B50, Fastflight, dynaflight 97????
 Also what string length would you recommend? My bow is 66" from nock to nock and I would like to get a 7" brace height.
What thickness serving works best with glue on nocks such as the Bohning classics?
 Thank you very much and here are some pictures of the bow for anyone who is interested. Enjoy SS

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String for bamboo backed oak bow??
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
I'm probably the furthest thing from an expert on this site but with an all wood bow I'd imagine you'd want to stick with B50.

Offline pghrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 06:02:00 AM »
actually with the tip overlays you added your bow would accept a fast flight type string, but imo the small gain in speed is not worth it, my selfbows seem to be a little more soft on the shot with b55, opinions vary, rich pyle

Offline pghrich

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »
oh i forgot to add string length is usually about 3 inches shorter than bow length, also i use a 12 strand b55 on my 45# hickory selfbows with a .020 [i think] braided serving and my nocks fit fine, of course a little nock sanding is always needed to get that perfect fit, rich pyle

Offline neuse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:19:00 AM »
That is a good looking bow.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 09:04:00 AM »
You can use ff just pad the loops.

Be careful tillering that guy.
Your boo is sorta thick for red oak.

Good looking wood combo.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
Yep, your bamboo is way too thick and will probably overpower the belly wood. Tiller very carefully or any overstressed place in the limbs will crack.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©