3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast bows vs Slow bows?  (Read 926 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Fast bows vs Slow bows?
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
First off, I want to express that I don't have a dog in this fight. With all due respect, I could care less if you have the fastest trad bow made. Nor could I care less if you have the slowest trad bow made.

My question/observation is this: what drives you in this area? Is a quite bow your goal, a fast bow your goal, or both? Is both even possible?

When I shot wheelie bows, as many of you did, all I heard was speed. You know, the next fastest bow.  Since joining the trad community, there is a segment of our community concerned with speed. For me, I would rather have a quiet, slow bow than a fast, loud bow.

Please enlighten me. I'm not looking to start an argument. I'm just trying to understand what the difference is between 187 fps versus 200 fps?

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast bows vs Slow bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
Quiet first then speed if possible.
In fact, I feel that I shoot better, more consistent with a bow that is maybe a little slower.  Probably will get slammed for that comment.  I think it is because of my less than perfect form/release.  A fast bow seems (to me) to magnify my flaws.  YMMV

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:35:00 PM »
Uh, 13 fps? Just kidding. I like quiet also. but there are some fast quiet bows, Centaur, A&H. Both of these are quick and quiet.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I want my bows to be as quite as possible. But I (being a wheelie convert myself) also like for them to he as fast as possible.

If I have two different bows that shoot the same arrow equally well and sound just the same on a decibel scale(whatever that may be)...one of them shoots 160, the other shoots the same arrow 215...I'm gonna pick the faster one. How could you not?

I try my best to shoot instinctive so the faster the arrow, the less my sub conscience has to figure out the variables.

I think of bows kinda like trucks...I could get a little 4x4 Toyota pickup that gets 25 mpg. Or I could stick with my old dodge with a 12v cummins that also gets 25 mpg...but it will haul 4 rick of stove wood or a gooseneck with 4 four of those toyoatas on it and still get the same 25mpg.

I guess my point is that I like to have as much "power" as I can get for what I've got in it.

Offline bartcanoe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:30:00 PM »
I want it quiet and having enough speed that creates enough momentum to ensure a quick kill on whatever I'm shooting at.
Dave

US Army Retired (1984-2013)
Job 42:1-6

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
The example I like to use is my 55 pound 1960 Kodiak...at my 30 inch draw length I have chronographed that bow, with 9 gpp arrows, at 185 fps...that was with a 16 strand Dacron string...I have since swapped out that string for a ten strand padded loop HMPE string...that bow is now both quieter and faster than it was and just as easy to shoot...a pretty simple performance boost for 20 bucks

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
The flatter shooting bow will enable your mind to make less of an adjustment when shooting different yardages if your truly shooting instictive.  I like a bow that has cast when shooting a decent weight arrow.  My A&H has great cast in my opinion.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Like was said by DD for 20 bucks why not go for a little more speed? OH and both my grizzly and my PCH picked up 8+ fps each and they are way quieter.
So yeh both for me.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
If I was looking for speed, I wouldn't be in love with Hill bows. I like a quiet bow that will send a relatively heavy arrow with authority, and Hill styles do that very well. I don't have a clue as to what arrow speed I am shooting, but it is enough to take game when I do my part, and I won't be shooting past about 20 yards at game, anyway.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
I like an accurate bow that's quiet after I tune it. I like good arrow speed, but too much makes my gaps too big under 40 yards. A fast design vs a slow design means I can shoot the same arrow the same speed at a lower draw weight though.

So in the end I like a fast bow that I slow down with a big ol' arrow   :biglaugh:

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm not to concerned with how fast a bow is, as long as it's super quite and I can shoot it well. Nothings quitter than a self bow, but with that said, I generally hunt with laminated long bows that are almost as quite, yet have a little more performance and speed than a self bow. Like a Howard Hill long bow.Not super fast, but fast enough with plenty of performance.   :archer2:
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
If I was looking for speed, I wouldn't be in love with Hill bows. I like a quiet bow that will send a relatively heavy arrow with authority, and Hill styles do that very well. I don't have a clue as to what arrow speed I am shooting, but it is enough to take game when I do my part, and I won't be shooting past about 20 yards at game, anyway.
Exactly my perspective. Quiet, but fast enough to kill game effectively. I haven't a clue what my bows chrono at either. Just my 2c.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
First off, 187 and 200 fps out of a stickbow with hunting weight arrows are both very fast. Faster than any I have. I shoot 58-60 pounds with a Hill style or a moderate R/D and they wont touch those speeds, at least not with my 650 grain wood arrows.

I shoot a mid speed bow better. Usually around 170-175 works pretty good for me. I'm a close range hunter anyway, so trajectory doesn't make to much difference to me.

I know folks that shoot short, fast bows really well. For me though, 64-68" at medium speeds works best. Critters don't seem to mind either. :)

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Todd Cook:
First off, 187 and 200 fps out of a stickbow with hunting weight arrows are both very fast. Faster than any I have. I shoot 58-60 pounds with a Hill style or a moderate R/D and they wont touch those speeds, at least not with my 650 grain wood arrows.

I shoot a mid speed bow better. Usually around 170-175 works pretty good for me. I'm a close range hunter anyway, so trajectory doesn't make to much difference to me.

I know folks that shoot short, fast bows really well. For me though, 64-68" at medium speeds works best. Critters don't seem to mind either.   :)  
Shows you what I know. I just grabbed  187 fps and 200 fps as an example. Since I don't have a clue what my bows shoot for speed, I don't know what an average fps is. Thanks for all your insights everyone.

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
accuracy is the most important for me.
I have bows the shoot from the mid 150s to 180 with hunting weight arrows and as long as I can hit where I want.  it don't matter!

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I should clarify myself as well about the fps statements in my previous post....I don't own nor have I ever shot a stick bow that shot 215 fps...especially at my draw length and the heavy arrow weight that I prefer. I have never even shot any of my bows through a chronograph.  I just know I like my fastest (by my eyes and instincts) and quietest (to my ears) bows the best.

I was only contemplating the "if's" of bows.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »
To me speed is a measure of efficiency.  If I can shoot a 450 grain arrow from bow "A" with a 45# draw weight and get 190 fps, but bow "B" only posts 175 fps with the same specs, then I prefer to shoot the faster bow simply because it equates to better penetration of a hunting arrow.  However, it has been my limited experience that there is not that much difference in modern bows.  Given traditional arrow weights and the limited hunting distances, even 20 fps does not amount to a lot of trajectory difference.  Recurves that really chronograph at 200 fps and above are not the norm.
As I have said before, the chronograph is not your friend.  It makes you long for new bows and arrows to replace the ones that have been working well for you all along.  
Now if you want a new bow just because it looks nice or is of a different style or maker, well that is a valid reason for a new bow!
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
for me the most important is forgiveness. Im not really a good shot and I like having as much forgiveness as I can get when im  hunting.
Second is shootability. it has to feel right, act right, and shoot where im looking.
 Third is quiet.
4th is durability.

Speed is so far down the list I dont ever think about it.
I have never shot a trad bow thru a chronograph nor will I ever. Speed is just not important to me.

I shoot heavy arrows as well for all the above reasons as well.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:05:00 PM »
A chronograph will break your heart...if you let it.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
Overall how a bow handle's is tops for me. But that doesn't mean they have to be dogs either. Setting up a bow I want to optimize performance also.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©