3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast bows vs Slow bows?  (Read 928 times)

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast bows vs Slow bows?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I like a well tuned bow that shoots my arrows where I naturally aim - quietly.  How fast the arrow gets there is relative to how heavy an arrow I want to shoot.  For a difference of usually no more than 1-10 fps speed is just not a big deciding factor to me.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2014, 01:57:00 PM »
I have a high member number question    :bigsmyl:

I'm working up in weight and have ordered another JD Berry Taipan.  The bow will be virtually identical to the one I now own, but will be 60#@ 28".  Seven pounds heavier than my current set up.

Is there a known formula for calculating how many FPS will increase per pound?

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
My arrows weigh 9-10 gpp for each of my bows. One dz hunting arrows are 12 gpp. If my bows shoot these arrows between 185-192 fps....I'm very happy.
That's enough speed for me with the arrow wts I shoot plus my bows are quiet with this setup.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
If I was looking for speed, I wouldn't be in love with Hill bows. I like a quiet bow that will send a relatively heavy arrow with authority, and Hill styles do that very well. I don't have a clue as to what arrow speed I am shooting, but it is enough to take game when I do my part, and I won't be shooting past about 20 yards at game, anyway.
x2 and my Hill lets me enjoy the mystical flight of the arrow a touch longer!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Sorry Stumpkiller but you are putting words to my response. Never said anything about wanting a slower bow. If you shoot well w/ an extreme design, then you are in a minority and I applaud you for that. Everyone has their own standards to adhere to. I for one have difficulties shooting these extreme designs w/ great repeatable accuracy. I also have been to enough shoots to see a lot of shooters have difficulties w/ what ever design. From my experience a good number of those shooters are new to trad. archery. Couple a newbie w/ an extreme design and you see a trad. archer that's struggling to accomplish repeatable accuracy a lot of times. It's been my observation.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by KeganM:
A well designed bow is an efficient bow. Look at the Bigfoot bows. Some of the fastest bows around, and all that stored energy goes into the arrow, so no extra noise, and no handshock. With slower designs, you almost have to shoot a heavy arrow just to quiet it down and get the handshock manageable.

I think 3Arrows put it best, do you want to do it the easy way, or the hard way?
If I wanted to do it the easy way, I wouldn't be using a stick bow in the first place!! JMO and isn't it great we have a preferred niche for everyone? What slower designs are noisy?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Chromebuck, a pound of draw weight translates into 1-2 fps increased arrow speed, all other things being equal.

Take the top bows in terms of hunter preference, not necessarily design, and run them through a chronograph shooting the same gpp, and you'll see that they're within about 15 fps of each others. (Review Black Schwartz's tests, for example.)  Some say that's not much of a difference.  It's actually a huge difference.  The equivalent of 7-8 pounds of draw weight.

It's not just the newbies who prefer speed. I'm getting a little long in the tooth.  Been shooting sticks for more than 50 years.  Used to shoot bows in the low-to-mid-60s.  Now, by shooting fast bows, I can get the same arrow speed with a bow in the high 50s.  As has already been pointed out, faster bows enable one to drop down in bow weight without losing performance. What's not to like about that.

Of course, it's a myth, or maybe just sour grapes, to say that that faster bows are noisier than slower bows or imply they're less accurate. Lots of things contribute to making a bow noisy, and speed can be one of them, but there are lots of others things that have equal or greater impact -- string material, arrow weight, tiller, bow design, etc.  And accuracy, of course, rests with the shooter, not the bow.    :)

Offline kagross

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
I think a slower trad bow fits more with your brain as a ballistic computer.  Faster modern bows are way faster than anything "natural", and you might not even see the arrow.  With a slower bow, you see the arrow, and your brain reprograms your ballistic computer to this arc.  After a bit, it's just like throwing a ball.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
all other things being equal, I prefer a little "arch" in my archery. There is just something about a heavy arrows trajectory that I enjoy. Super fast bows or ultralight arrows don't interest me

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
The idea of a super fast bow is the ability to maintain or even drop poundage and shoot a heavy arrow just as fast as most bows shoot a lighter arrow. At least that is how I look at it. None of my bows are noisy and they are all considered to be fast.The idea is to have a bow that is an all around hunting bow. means it has to be effiecient, quiet and smooth to draw. Those are actually compatible and harmonious and are really what most of us want.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want a slow bow or an ugly wife or a donkey instead of a Lincoln. A slow bow is simply put, an inefficient bow, utilizing the energy of the poundage you are pulling.

When we hear that a bow is slow but casts a heavy arrow well we are hearing this. The bow is more efficient because the arrow weight is absorbing the normally lost energy.

A more efficient bow is always more efficient. It will cast that same heavy arrow faster and further than the inefficient bow. However as they are both imparting the same poundage force or attempting to. As the arrow gets heavier to absorbing all of the energy of the 50 lbs the speeds will get closer.
There is never a point though where the less efficient bow will outperform or perform as well as the more efficient bow.

Hope this helps.

God bless, Steve

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I propose it's a moot argument.

There ain't enough difference between the fastest and the slowest for me to worry about.
Otto

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©