3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Plans for shooting platform at local club...need advice!  (Read 382 times)

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Plans for shooting platform at local club...need advice!
« on: March 14, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
I suppose most of us have shot from elevated platforms at one time or another. Many 3D coarse have shooting platforms or maybe your local archery club or sportsman's club has one. My local Field and stream club doesn't yet, but that's about to change. Myself and another board member applied for a state grant and will receive funds for a shooting platform with archery range. We have outlined a sketch and propose to build it 40 ft. long with two shooting levels. The range will be fenced in in front of platform with shooting at ground level, with the platform being a split level. One level at 10 ft. and the other above it at 20 ft.

So anyway, we are seeking Ideas, advice, ect from those more knowledgeable about such structures if any exist this elaborate. We plan to have 8 shooting stations per level. We have safety measures in mind, but could use advice from those with experience operating or shooting from any like structure. We are in the process of getting construction drawings and have met all criteria from our insurance provider. In the mean time I have been asked to find out any and all info I can in relevance to such a project. Naturally Trad Gang instantly came to mind. Any input from Knowledgeable experience would be greatly appreciated.    Knawbone
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Plans for shooting platform at local club...need advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
I can't offer any help, but it sure sounds KOOL.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »
This may very well be the first shooting structure of it's kind. The range will consist of target butts and 3D targets at 10, 15 to 20, and 30 yrd. A forty foot long open type structure with stair cases going up either end of the building. Each shooting station will be supplied with a tether and/or a secure hook up for a safety harness.Details for proper safety railings ect may be an issue, but with mandatory harnessing, this should be a resolvable legality. ( any suggestions on this issue are welcome) This will only be open to members of PPFS club as a  rule.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Racine instinctive Bowmen here in WI has a set up similar to what you are looking at.  Here is their website  
 http://www.ribarchery.com/about-rib/

I didn't see any pictures of the shooting platform  on the website but I'm sure if you contacted them someone could help you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Thanks Whip, I was hoping to be able to talk to someone with a similar set up. I will contact them.   :thumbsup:
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:01:00 AM »
Our archery range has several of these but only one person at a time. We were lucky to get the raised metal steps with cleats to prevent slipping. Picked them up from a foundry closing. The post are old I beams.

We had some with treated wood steps but after several years they get slippery when it rains.

PBS  Member

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
Our old range had an elevated area, multiple person, maybe 5 or  stations, area.  The pole structure was wood telephone/power poles.  Its been over a decade since we moved so I don't remember what the rest was made of but it was all very heavy duty.  We did not have any type of safety harness connection system.  If your platform is well designed and made I don't know if you would need that feature.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
mjh, Thanks for your input. This structure will be built by a qualified contractor so proper construction is not an issue. What I was referring to is a tether system to eliminate anyone falling off the structure due to low railings. We don't want railings to impede the shooter. Local building codes may require a railing higher than what is feasible for unimpeded shooting. A tether system may waylay this requirement.   :dunno:   This is the main issue I'm trying to resolve.
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Thank you Wheels2
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©