3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Good broad heads for hogs  (Read 1110 times)

Offline JB74nola

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Good broad heads for hogs
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I have Magnus classic 2 blades on my hunting arrows I can make them scary sharp.
Here piggy piggy piggy...

-Jesse 62" Mahaska longbow 62@27"

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Magnus Mag I, Ribtek, ACE all in 160 grain version.  Last two pigs with MMI; first hit in the ham at about 8 yards, she hit the afterburner just as I released, and ran eighty yards before slowing to a walk for about forty more.  Finished her with a BK 5. (@100#) Second was hit at about 4 yards in a briar patch and never made it more then ten yards, lung shot.  Went down at five yards and then growled at me as I walked over to her.  Knife stick followed, and she jumped up and ran five more.  Down again as my buddy tried to grab her out of the briar patch she went for his hand so I put the BK 5 in the other side.  That did the trick, tough hog, (@140#)   Both pigs on ground within a hour first one dressed out.
   :campfire:        :coffee:        :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
I would suggest you use bleeders instead of just a plain 2 blade head. 50# is plenty for pigs as long as your using an arrow close to 500 grains. Have you looked at the DRT heads from Dirt Nap Gear? They have a thick main blade thats razor sharp and good strong bleeders.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by killinstuff:
I'll go against the grain here and say any arrow into a hog equals a dead hog except for high on the shoulder and low in the gut.  If folks always wait for quartering away you're not going to get many shots.  Now extra large boars are a different animal then a 75# sow but giant hogs are not what most guys shoot at so IMHO, if you get a shot, shoot. And if you are only recovering 1 out of 5 pigs it's not the shot or the broadhead, it's you. Even an OK sharp BH is a killer. Maybe not the best but still works.  I'd say you need to work on your tracking skills.  Or get a dog to track. You're killing hogs, just not finding them.
Well I guess the suggestion for a quartering shot is to help him with his recovery, as the quarter shot, from experience, I have recovered way more hogs and allows you to get into the vitals easy.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline bendotwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
I like grizzly kodiaks.  Great penetration, pretty tough, super easy to sharpen, meets ashby criteria.
Bama Bows Hunter 68'' #56@28''

Bama Bows Hunter 66'' 70#@28''

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 12:56:00 AM »
Thank you all for your valuable feedback. Yes, I do agree that the bigger hogs 90 to 150 lbs hogs don't normally stay long at the feeding station. Thus waiting for a quarterly shot has limits.

Having said that, I do get a high percentage of broad side shots and with my setup am 80% successful on a both lungs pass thru shot.

But when there is little or no blood trials at all, then tracking is real challenge. Yes. A tracking dog is an option but I would like to explore all options first in achieving good blood trail first.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
Just wondering, you're hunting Singapore?  Can you expand a bit on what that's like, game available and popularity?  I have a book somewhere on hunting south asia I've read and reread many times and find it interesting to hear about hunting in different places around the would.  Tracking in semi-tropic places like Florida and Georgia swamps is a bit more difficult than arid places like Texas IMHO. Maybe Jim from True South Adventures and RC can give some tracking advise having followed up 100's of shot hogs in thick jungle like conditions.
lll

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 11:37:00 AM »
Good broad head for hogs, a SHARP one. Your 2 blade setup is getting pass thru's so make sure it is sharp and review the shot placement thread as mentioned earlier, low and back is not good. The hogs I hit right usually go down in site with a 2 blade head.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Wll hit hogs do go down relaticely quickly, unless they are pressured.  Then they run until there is no more oil in the engine, then they might jump up and run again as you approach.  Tough critters and don't give up easy.  I like two blade heads, but a three blade Snuffer really does a number.  The bigger the hole the better.
    :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
can some one please share with me why quartering shots are highly recommended?

How different does a quartering shot compared to a broadside pass through?

In comparison to the damage caused to vitals for the Hog?

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:00 AM »
A quartering AWAY shot is more likely to hit important vital like lungs and heart.  You have to aim at pigs differently than deer. If you are shooting them like a deer you are to far back and the pig will die but you won't get a good blood trail after a few yards.
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
If broadside I try to shoot them straight up the front leg about 1/3 up the body. I have taken lots of quarter away shots too..hogs have small heart and lungs for their size. I have used 2,3 and 4 blade heads. I try to shoot small hogs less than 100lbs. At this time I prefer a razor sharp 3 blade broad head.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=108224

Here is a link to great info. The vitals are way more forward in comparison to deer.  The quarter away gets the arrow going into the vitals.  Even a "hard" quarter away with enough penetration, hog will not go far.  Many people shoot them just like a deer and think that they double lung the animal and in reality shoot outside the vitals.  I did that also on the first hogs I shot many moons ago.    Really good info in the thread link above.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
If a guy can hit a grapefruit size spot every time then take those broadside shots(straight up the leg, not behind, 1/3 of the way up).Dead hog every time within 100 yards.
I prefer our clients take quartering away shots because it gives them more margin for error with shot placement, that's assuming they have a heavy arrow and very sharp broadhead. Pretty much any hit in the body will kill it from that angle. We mostly hunt over feeders so that quartering away view nearly always happens.
I could see where stalking, not so much.

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
I like broadheads that even I can get scary sharp; Woodsmans, Magnus, Zwickey, Bear.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »
How big is the average hog where you are hunting there in Malaysia?
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
Hogs are tough. A perfect hit in both lungs can result in the pig running over 100 yards at full speed. He may only live a few seconds; but that is enough to get out of sight.

I use scary sharp Tuff heads on pigs. Last week I shot a nice boar with a 25 yard shot from a 41#@26" Black Rhino 52" recurve, drawn 28". The Tuff Head went through the 3/4" shield and both lungs. Stopped against the other shield. I found good blood, still more than 100 yards from the shot, even with just 1 hole. I also shot a 100# sow with a 45# longbow and Tuff Heads with a complete pass through. Good blood trail all the way. Double lung hit, but 100 yard trail.

Shot placement is the key, but expect them to run farther than a deer. Both pigs ran in a straight line as hard as they could go, and died in seconds.

Here is a picture of the shield inside the hide, on a 130 pound boar. It takes a good, sharp broadhead to cut and penetrate far enough with lighter bows. Also, the lungs on pigs are much smaller than deer, and harder to hit.

"  
 P3120526  by  okawbow , on Flickr

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by tarponnut:
If a guy can hit a grapefruit size spot every time then take those broadside shots(straight up the leg, not behind, 1/3 of the way up).Dead hog every time within 100 yards.
I prefer our clients take quartering away shots because it gives them more margin for error with shot placement, that's assuming they have a heavy arrow and very sharp broadhead. Pretty much any hit in the body will kill it from that angle. We mostly hunt over feeders so that quartering away view nearly always happens.
I could see where stalking, not so much.
Ive only killed a few hogs but quartering away really put them down fast and right there. Broadside was 50/50 between long distance and short distance blood trails.

Offline robin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 09:56:00 PM »
BraveHeart, the wildboars here ranges from 55 to 140lbs, any bigger and they arent good eating.

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Ithink adog would be an advantage leave him back at camp or your truck then go get him to find your hog did it many times hunting in Harris ca.
Arrow_Flynn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©