3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3-Blade Broadheads on Piggies. Who's used them?  (Read 817 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
3-Blade Broadheads on Piggies. Who's used them?
« on: March 16, 2014, 04:52:00 PM »
Well, we have 8 Michiganders heading down to Wild Things in a little over two weeks.  I was planning on equipping my arrows with 2-blade broadheads, but honestly I'm much better at sharpening 3-blade heads.  So I'm leaning towards tipping my arrows with 175grain VPA 3-blades.

So hog hunters, who's used 3-blades on piggies?  What was your setup like?  Were you happy with your choice of 3-blades?

Honestly, this thread is as much about having another reason to talk pig hunting, as I'm ready to HIT THE ROAD and get on some hogs!
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: 3-Blade Broadheads on Piggies. Who's used them?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I have pushed 160 Grain Snuffers from a Thunderstick III longbow 62#@28.  I draw about 27 3/8" so was pushing 60# and they worked well.
  :thumbsup:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
I've only killed one hog with a 3 blade WW Woodsman. It was a mature boar. 240 gr. up front of a 55/75 Gold tip. 65# Sunbear. It was sharp and flew true. Buried fletch deep in the pump house. Wouldn't hesitate to use'em again. Never did find the one I killed him with....

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Had a 160 snuffer barely dent the shield on a good sized boar broadside, shooting low 50's in poundage I will stick with 2 blades as they have done well on the bigger fellows.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
I've not hunted pigs but wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a 175 gr VPA

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 06:25:00 PM »
I have killed a bunch with WW pulling 49 lbs. with a 550 gr. total weight wood arrow. The last 7 or 8 I have killed though have been with same setup except I used 135 Gr. Tigersharks. Main thing is sharp head and shot placement.
bolong

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
Killed a nice boar with a 200gr. VPA out of a 54# LB hunting with True South Adventures. Shot was a little high into the spine - dropped in it's tracks
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
I normally shoot snuffer three blades and did shoot two javelina with them.  When it came to hog hunting I switched to the 175 grain two blade Eclipse.  Did shoot a very nice boar through the heart not hitting the shield.  Piled him up in about 80 yards.  This was on a Texas hunt two weeks ago with the Wensel brothers.  I have no idea how to post a picture or I would show  you all.
habujohn

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pokerdaddy:
Well, we have 8 Michiganders heading down to Wild Things in a little over two weeks.  I was planning on equipping my arrows with 2-blade broadheads, but honestly I'm much better at sharpening 3-blade heads.  So I'm leaning towards tipping my arrows with 175grain VPA 3-blades.

So hog hunters, who's used 3-blades on piggies?  What was your setup like?  Were you happy with your choice of 3-blades?

Honestly, this thread is as much about having another reason to talk pig hunting, as I'm ready to HIT THE ROAD and get on some hogs!
That would be a very good choice!   :thumbsup:
Rick ****** shot 21 hogs with one 175gr 3 blade VPA!

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:58:00 PM »
Have only shot one hog. I shot it with a 250 gr. VPA 3 blade out of a 52# MOAB. Complete penetration, a bit high on the hit. Top of the lung  on the "hit" side and about center of the opposite lung going out. The hog wasn't huge by any means though, 115# dressed. Good luck!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline yth-mnstr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Killed 3 big boars 200#ers with a 3 blade VPA out of a 46# @ 30" Dryad Orion a couple of years ago.  1 pass through and 2 buried in the off side shoulder.
justin ammons

Offline Aggie1993

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
150g WW or VPA out of a 51lb at 28" longbow. 570gn total arrow weight. Used that on this big boar this year. Shot placement is more critical. I think a 3blade leaves better blood trails.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 51@28
Kempf Kwyk Styk 58" 54@28
Kempf Trophy Hunter 58" 51@28

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
I have a friend that runs a pig outfit here in TX.  He has stats on everything.  When I showed up with 2 blade heads he showed me his study on number of blades and recovery rate.  The three blade heads out recovered the two blades by 45%.  I use Woodsmans for pigs after that.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
That's interesting and enlightening, Mike..

And 21 pigs with one broadhead is simply amazing.

Offline Feather Flinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I'm very impressed with the 3 blade broadheads. I shoot 47-48# at my draw and have killed several with VPAs using 500-550 grain arrows.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:
I have a friend that runs a pig outfit here in TX.  He has stats on everything.  When I showed up with 2 blade heads he showed me his study on number of blades and recovery rate.  The three blade heads out recovered the two blades by 45%.  I use Woodsmans for pigs after that.

Mike
That's an amazing stat Mike.  Very interesting indeed.  I wonder if any African operations have kept similar records?  It sure would be interesting to get more data like that on a wide variety of animals.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Mike, this is interesting indeed. Are wheelie bows and mechanical heads counted within the two-blade group? I'd think QUALITY two blade and three blade stats would be more similar than this.

Andrew, if you've got a good flying arrow with a broadhead you can get wicked sharp, go with that!

I can't wait for this trip! I haven't hunted hogs in two months and I'm starting to get a little twitchy!
Thom

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
I killed two with 3 blades, a Woodsman and a Razorcap.  Both were broadside, the Woodsman was with the lighter bow (51#) and it was sticking out the other side about 12" but I did not get a "pass through".  Both were recovered in about 60-80 yards with good but intermittent blood trails (good splashes, nothing then another good splash).  After that I switched to a 2 blade with small bleeders (Eclipse or Zwickey) but never killed one with those and I haven't been hog hunting in way too long now.     :(     Probably what I would still pick if I were to go again, that or a larger two blade like Simmons or a Delta.

Both the hogs I killed with 3 blades were in the ball park of 130-140 pounds.  Best blood trail I ever got on one was with a 4 blade but shot placement happened to be absolutely perfect so I imagine anything woulda made that one bleed well.

I would think your VPA's would be a very good choice.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by wingnut:

Mike
That kinda makes me wonder if his stats are bit skewed in regards to trad hunters.  I bet he has alot more compound than trad guys come hunt.  If he has alot of wheel bow shooters, I would be willing to bet, they shoot a 3 blade head.  I like the woodsmans or VPA alot myself or a Tuffhead or meathead on the 2 blade.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
That's all I use for hogs here in Hawaii. 55lbs at 26.5" 500-525gr arrows with a 200gr VPA. Here's the last hog that fell to my 3 blade VPAs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©