3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Longbow Shooters  (Read 331 times)

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow Longbow Shooters
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:57:00 PM »
I have a trial PLX coming/ Just curious as to what to I'm gonna be in for... Any words of advice, widsom etc...

Also it is a PLX cocobolo  do any of you have any pics of a PLX cocobolo?  It is just a try out but very curious as to what I'm gonna be looking at..

I am also wanting to buy a Turkey Creek LB... So we'll see what happens...
Blessings,
Steve

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Longbow Shooters
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 12:33:00 AM »
Your going to be looking at not wanting to send it back
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
Steve,
I owned a PL for nearly a year.It is my favorite longbow.Very easy to tune with a wide range of arrows.It has enough mass weight to hold steady for accuracy but is still plenty light to carry.I only sold it because I started shooting the DAS bows.

I also like the Turkey Creek.It is a little faster than the Widow.If I ever get one from Doug I am going to talk to him about getting one made with a little more mass weight and a little different grip.That way I could take the best of both bows and combine them.

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »
I have a PLV takedown. It has the best takedown system I have ever seen. The bows pull come on strong right from the start resulting in a very fast longbow. It is like all Widows very well made and the finish is very hard to chip or scratch. When you do accomplish this a little super glue and your good to go.I quit looking for recurves when I got my PSA and I quit looking for longbows when I got my PLV.Frank

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 12:40:00 PM »
You will find a great bow backed by a great group of guys... They are bowhunters like us and shoot what they build.

Bill
Aim Small

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:23:00 PM »
I have a PL that I love I am shooting it better than my PSA111. This is my first year hunting with the longbow and it is a joy to carry. Very forgiving and spine tolerant also plenty quick. It is the first longbow that I have felt really good about.But...I have a Turkey Creek on order also. If it shots better than the PL I will be very happy.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 08:50:00 PM »
I have a LAG and love it. I have never shot a PL but if it is as much better than the LAG as most people say you will be in love with it!

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
I have a PLGA and I really love it!  It is really a nice shooting longbow and great looking to boot.  They are very stable and easy to shoot.  Tune easy and are not noisy at all.  Performance wise, I am very impressed.  Not the fastest bow I own, but very respectable numbers.  I am shooting 50#@28" and 630 grain carbon arrows.  
  I think you will be very pleased.  Of course being a Black Widow, you get that great company history and unbeatable customer service!

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 09:29:00 AM »
I have a PLX cocobolo / kingwood.  It's a terrific bow, puts arrows down range with authority and I can shoot it very well.  It will be my first line bow this year.

I can email a pic if you'd like.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Bob Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
I have three PLX bows, kingwood, osage with Bull Snake, Bocote.  They are by far the best longbows I have ever shot in the last 45 years.
Bowhunting is not just a way of life, it is also fun.

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
I shoot a 64" PLX 42# @ 28", I bought the bow used 2 years ago and have no regrets. Very easy to tune and will shoot various spine wooden arrows well. Total weight of bow, boa 4 arrow quiver with arrows only 2.9 lbs. Mine requires 2 sets of yarn silencers but quite as a church mouse.

You might as well go ahead and write the check.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I just looked at the Black Widow web site,  I have a John McDonald "Big River" bow. 48 Lb. @ 28.  I really like it, it's five layer bamboo with Tiger wood handle.

But if I can pick up a used 64" PLX 42# @ 28", I think I'll go for.

On the web site they look pretty nice, I just bought two years ago a Hoyt powertech compound bow, a year later I got my John McDonald, I like using my John McDonald more, I think it weighs about 2 lbs. 2.8 with the quiver and three arrows.

That would be nice to order a new one from Black widow. But $1050.00 !

Broken Arrow 1
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
BrokenArrow1
I paid less than $600 for my 2005 PLII. Sold it for about the same. It was a nice longbow.If I wanted to shoot a longbow I would still have it.If you look around you can find a used one at a good price.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 01:14:00 PM »
I just looked around on the for-sale area, did not find one,

I think I will post a wanted add

The thing is I would like it to be 45# @ 28"

Thanks

BrokenArrow 1

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
ttt

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 06:39:00 PM »
I own a PLX Bacote 62" 52# @28" It is one of the best bows in my arsenal of five longbows. Widows hit hard and fast. A real pleasure to shoot! The guys at BW are great to deal with. They are always helpful and extremely easy to talk to. You simply can't go wrong with a widow!

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:00 AM »
I like them, and I'd hazard a guess you'll like the one you try out, Pastor Steve! As a matter of fact, right at this very moment as I type, I am fighting off the unpleasant effects of too much September heat from an outback NT hunt, where I was fortunate to pole-axe a brumby mare with a slightly wayward spine-shot from 30 metres (naturally I finished her off quickly). Not only was I impressed with putting the Magnus 2-blader into her spine, but the finisher absolutely disappeared into her, even though it was nearly completely front on, destroying her heart. This was with my 78lb BW PLX "Bocote" shooting CX350 Heritage arrows weighing 704 grains.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©