3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Pig-Gigs 2014  (Read 1348 times)

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Pig-Gigs 2014
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:00 PM »

I have not sure if I have figured out how to post a picture here from photobucket but going to try.  this was from week two of the Wensel javelina hunt
habujohn

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
Wow it worked.  Guess I should also pay attention to what I am writing, sorry about the sentence structure.
John
habujohn

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »

Ok I have this figured out.  This picture is of Brad (huntnmuleys) and I on our first day out together.  This first day has a good story behind it too!
habujohn

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »

Here is what the country looked like we were hunting in.  We actually stalked down this long draw for about a half mile before cutting up a high ridge to the right and to get into the javelina.  Brad commented that it was like walking on river rocks all the time and I sure had to agree.
habujohn

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »

Group photo with hog; John,Barry,Gene,Fred,Brad.
Gene and Barry deserve all the credit for getting me a shot at this hog.  They built a little blind out of cedar bows and Gene dug a 2 foot hole and placed corn it so the hog offered a perfect broadside shot as he dug out the corn.  I also got very lucky to have clear skies and a quarter moon so I could see the hog in the low light for the shot.
habujohn

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:00 PM »

Here is the pig hanging in the butchering shed, check out the canines on this old boar.  Thanks again Barry and Gene, I had a great time.
John
habujohn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Great Hog and Javies.

Sounds like a Grand trip!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Good job John. You did good! It was a pleasure hunting with all you guys. Thanks. bw

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Up top for some more stories and pictures.

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »
A story of Javelina and Hogs:  My hunt started in my mind several months before I pointed my truck south from the far north of the Yooper, and I can tell you that I did not dream big enough.  I just love the anticipation of a hunt, don't you?  
  For a number of years I have been wanting to do a bowhunt with the Wensel bros. and now I had my chance.  There was going to be 17 of us at the west Texas ranch and we were to arrive on Sunday afternoon and start our hunting on Monday morning.  I arrived a bit late and missed the orientation, turned out to be a good thing too.  Soon after I arrived I had Barry come up to me and tell me to not worry, there were still lots of places for me to go out hunting in the morning.  Monday morning arrived and we were all up at the crack of dawn for a bite and a cup of joe.  Barry and Gene grabbed me and another stickbow shooter by the name of Brad. He let us know we were going to be hunting partners today and where we could do our hunt. 45 minutes later Brad and I were at our area and pulling on our packs and grabbing the bows.  After a short discussion we decided we wanted to head up hill to a good viewing spot and glass for javelina.  Brad turned out to very good at spotting game and it did not take him long to pick out a mule deer buck.  We watched the buck move about a hillside about a half mile away for some time.  Brad then hissed at me he had javelina spotted.  The little pigs were working their way towards the mule deer and you could clearly see he was watching the javelina too.  We watched them all for about a half hour and could tell they were not going anywhere soon.  The discussion soon turned to how we could get in on them.  Having never hunted pigs or javelina before I was not too sure on how good their senses were going to be but brad assured me they would not see us approach from below them and so off we went.  As we stood at the base of the draw looking up the hill where we knew the javelina were bedded we made our final plans.   As we cut the distance to about 40 yards I saw a big javelina stand up and then bed back down under a small tree.  Signaling Brad of what I saw we crept further and soon we were inside of 30 yards.  Nocking arrows we both were ready for our first chance.  Pressing forward a very slowly a small step at a time we cut the distance to 20 yards. Now my heart was pumping very fast and I kept saying to myself to keep calm, the shot was going to happen.  
  Today I was caring a 57# habu VyperKhan long bow. My arrows were axis 340's cut to 30.5" and tipped with 165 grain snuffers.  This set up should have no issue shooting through the shoulders of a javelina and that is where I planned to shoot.  
   Back to the stalk:  As I stared down the bedded javelina and thought of how I was going to get the shot I heard soft grunting type sounds coming from my right.  Slowly I turned my head and saw a javelina moving out from under some heavy brush.  It looked like a good one and if he kept moving he was going to walk right into an opening at less than 15 yards.  As luck would have it the javelina did just what I needed and not only did he step into the opening but he stopped as I hit full draw.  Bearing down on my spot the shaft was soon on it's way and I could now see the arrow right where I had been looking.  The javelina spun back the way he had come and ran only about 30 yards hiding under a small tree.  The fun was not over yet though as the other javelina were now on their feet and not very happy.  Brad was next to me and it was now his turn.  Having forgot to bring the rabbit call I started making some squealing sounds by using the back of my hand.  Can this possible work was racing through my mind?  Soon I had my answer as the javelina we first started to stalk made his way towards me.  I had an arrow nocked but I wanted Brad to get a crack at this one and so I knelt down so he could shoot around me.  As I looked back I could see Brad was looking behind him as he had another javelina approaching from the opposite direction.  It was a very exciting time and I did my best to get the javelina in as close as possible but it soon turned sour and we failed to get another shot.  The good news was I had one down and I was eager to go see a javelina up close.  As Brad and I approached the spot where we had seen him go down I was surprised to hear Brad say to me he was still alive.  Having a arrow ready I moved up to the cover and at 10 yards the javelina came up from under the brush and offered me a perfect broadside shot.  I sent another snuffer through him just behind the shoulder and to my surprise he just jumped high in the air and came down popping his canines at us.  Brad hissed to shot him again and soon my last arrow was on it's way, passing through the pig a bit far back.  He did not go 25 yards and was down for the count.  I could not believe that I had to shoot three times with two shots in the boiler room to put the javelina down for good.  Having shot a lot of big game in 40 years with the bow I was thinking that these little guys were tougher than anything I had hunted before.  Since we knew where the javelina went down we just walked over to pick up my two arrows and go see a javelina up close.  This time the javelina was right were we last saw him and was not going anywhere.  High fives were now in order as well as a few pictures.  We both were on a pretty good high at this time and we decided to carry our game back to the truck and then go see if we could find Brad a javelina.  After taking only a few steps with our hard earned prize I was surprised to hear Brad say that there was a javelina at the bottom of the draw about 150 yards away.  We dropped our quarry and I said to Brad that he should go after him and I would watch from the hillside.  Brad grabbed his binoculars to get a good look and soon said that the javelina was bleeding pretty hard from a shoulder wound.  I then looked at him with my binoculars and it was obvious that he was hurt real bad.  Was it possible I had shot two javelina?  Brad and I talked about it for a minute and even though we both believed I had only shot one it was evident this javelina had also been shot.  "count the holes John", I can still hear Brad say this to me.  Sure enough I counted only two holes and not three.  We then watched as the javelina staggered under a cedar tree and laid down.  Sliding down the hill I walked up on the javelina and put another snuffer through him ( I had picked up two of my previous arrows).  The shot hit him in the vitals and he went about five steps and was down for the count.  Never have I seen an animal take a broadhead through the vitals like that and go so long.  When I skinned him out later I half expected that my shot did not go where I thought it had but that was not the case.  My arrow had busted through both his shoulders at midline, taking out both lungs.  The little pig had survived at least 15 minutes after the shot.
  My javelina hunting was done the first morning and now it was time for me to help out my new hunting partner.  Maybe Brad can give you his story of his good fortune later in the hunt.
habujohn

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Good stuff John!!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
I hope I was not to long winded, I got caught up in telling the story.  By the way if you even get the chance to go on a hunt with the Wensel brothers, do not pass it up.  They made us all feel like we were family, so much so I thought I was hunting with my brothers.
habujohn

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
:campfire:    :archer:    :coffee:
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Greg Szalewski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
WOW!! Quite a story John. You got your moneys worth and then some on that first hunt. Thanks for sharing.
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Past President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 02:00:00 PM »
Anyone who doesn't know John  He's a great guy and a remarkable shot ! It was great to share a camp with him and Brad along with the other hunters , not to mention our hosts , the Wensels . I have been fortunate to hunt with them separately over the years but this was my first pig-gig and I can assure you  they are more then twice the fun together . I had a memorable hunt , met some really great guys and even added to my small collection of neat but useless artifacts . does anyone know if Ray scored on the last day ? I had to leave a day early with tire trouble . Hope to do this again , thanks Gene and Barry !  
        Fred
Greyfox54

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Hi Fred!  Thanks for the nice words. I want you to know that I would share a camp with you and Brad at anytime. Do you have any pictures to share?  For those following these posts Fred shot two javelina the first day too and one he .....  Fred you will have to tell that story.
John
habujohn

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Let me start by saying Texas is one big place . I left Jersey and drove 16 hours to Florida to visit with my Son and Daughter and left my Goodwife there and headed for Texas . Two days of hard driving brought me to my destination : the Shurely ranch in Marfa . After two days of driving 12 hours I stumbled into the ranch house and got introduced to everyone and Gene and Barry went over the rules of engagement . It was all a blur to me , I needed sleep so I crawled into my crib early and passed out . Next morning Gene paired me up with Ray , a great guy , and took us out about 8 miles from camp and showed us a promising looking drainage and turned us loose . There was a feeder between two small drainages with a popup blind set up close by . Ray and I decided to split up and climb some of the ridges and glass till about noon then meet up and compare notes . Early afternoon we met up and planned the afternoon assault . Ray wanted to continue glassing an area he some javalinas going into when we first arrived and I opted to check around a distant windmill and then if nothing happened I would sit the feeder .
    After a half hour walk towards the windmill I came upon a fenceline which I thought might be the property line so I slowly headed back to the feeder . I still hunted one of the drainages back to the blind and even though I saw a lot of fresh sign I didn't see any javies . I got to the blind about 4:00 and settled in . Not getting enough sleep or the heat from the sun or just as likely from getting older whatever the reason I started to nod off when I heard something popping it's jaws hard to my left .
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
A small group of javies came cautiously into the feeder . It seemed like a large sow with 2 young came in and a larger one circled around further out . He was slowly walking by about 15 yards out  and I wasn't sure if he would continue on or turn and come in . I shifted my weight on the stool as I turned to my left to catch him before he got out of range , doing so I scraped the hard ground ever so lightly but the 3 javies in the feeder bolted and the big one turned and faced me head on . Remembering seeing Howard Hill shoot a running pig in the head in one of his videos I got caught up in the moment and shot the javalina right between the eyes dropping him in his tracks . I paid a price for my excitement as he quickly broke my arrow , bummer . As I didn't have to spend any time tracking I got out of the blind noting the time 5:10 , I dragged the javie off to the side and went to find Ray and get him into the blind as there was still a couple hours of daylight left . I climbed the ridge I thought he was on but couldn't find him . I crossed over to a couple other likely spots but no luck . Not being sure what direction he went I sat down and glassed . After awhile I put my binos on the feeder and blind and saw 6 dark spots milling around . I gave another look around and not seeing Ray I decided to head back to the feeder and see how close I could get . The wind was gusting pretty good so I circled around till it was blowing in my face and putting the blind between me and the javies I started to jog back . When I got a couple of hundred yards away I slowed down and at 100 yards I only moved when the wind blew and when it stopped for a moment I would hold tight . Where I hunt back home most places you can't see 20 yards so this was very different and exciting . I got to about 15 yards from the blind and they were on the other side feeding without a care in the world . I slowly moved around the blind and had 5 of them within 15 yards . I could have shot at any of them but decided they were all on the smaller side . After about 2 minutes of watching them feed one of the smaller ones got rousted out of the pack and ran over towards me . I don't know who was more surprised . When he realized I might be a threat he squealed and bolted taking the herd with him . It was now about 7:00 . They ran off to my left about 50 yards and then just walked off feeding as if nothing had happened . With about an hour of daylight left I decided to get back in the blind and wait for Ray to show up . I had dragged the Javalina I had shot behind some brush close by the blind where I could see him . Remembering that someone had seen a mountain lion the previous week got me thinking . I got out of the blind and moved the dead javie out in front of me about 15 yards up close to a bush , that way if a hungry cat showed up I could get a shot . Always be optimistic .
            As was enjoying a beautiful sunset I heard noise off to my right . 8 Javalinas were downwind of me and acting nervous . They slowly circled around till they were cross wind from me and I guess they thought it was safe as they couldn't smell me anymore so they came in . There was one in the group that was considerably larger then the rest but when they came in they bunched up in a group not giving me a clear shot without the fear of hitting the wrong one as they swirled around pushing each other out of the way as they fed . After about 5 minutes of this I leaned back in my stool to stretch my back when I again made a scraping noise on the rocky floor . They all jumped back about 10 feet and stood still looking towards the blind . a minute later they were back in the feed . So I scraped the ground with my foot and they did the same thing only it was like musical chairs , they were all in a different position but stood still for a few moments . Thinking myself pretty slick I raised my bow and scraped again , it took about 6 times before the big one was caught facing broadside under 10 yards . I was ready for him and even I can sometimes hit something this close . My arrow hit low right behind the shoulder and he took off like a scaled cat . I couldn't believe it , my first Javalina hunt and I shot 2 the first day ! Getting out of the blind I saw Ray driving up and showed him my first one and told him about the second oone that I had just shot 5 minutes before he drove up . There was a small sandy ravine about 100 yards off in the direction the javie ran and I thought I would look there for sign of him crossing it . We weren't half way there when Ray spotted him piled up about forty yards from where I hit him .
Greyfox54

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
Fred... why do I get the feeling you type really fast? Thanks for posting this. It's always great sharing a camp with you. bw

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Great stories guys. You really allowed me to visualize your hunts.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©