3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Pig-Gigs 2014  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Pig-Gigs 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
    I still think my old computer was easier .
Greyfox54

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Those are better Fred.  I have a good pic of you with the hog I shot.
habujohn

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
Good deal .This is a neat birdnest I came across . As John said the place looks desolate but there is a lot going on .
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
This is a few pics of the bones I found , they feel like rock      
Greyfox54

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »
Oops. Added a few more for ya.

:wavey:          :thumbsup:
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »

Here you go Fred
habujohn

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
  Heres one I got close to and a pic of their favorite food , prickly pear
Greyfox54

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
This is the bowl shaped rock I found that was hollowed out about 4 inches deep   And here's a pic of that Addick skull Getting started posting these pics was only harder than it is to stop . I have to write this down so I can do it again . And thanks Terry for the Hushpuppies , I don't leave home without them .
   And John that's a heck of a pig .
  And thanks Skitch for the motivation .
Greyfox54

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Great story telling. Felt like I was there watching!!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
ok, finally got a minute.  been a long couple of weeks. want to say, this is possibly the most fun hunt ive been on. I love open country, and this place was beyond beautiful.  

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
lol that one kind of reminds of me of ol wiley coyote and the roadrunner.  I ended up dealing with both...

cutting to the chase, John ended up watching me play cat and mouse with these three little fellas for a couple days.  there was shooting involved. there was not blood....

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
so after a pep talk with John, i learned that he had once bowhunted Africa with Rich Wormington, owner of Yellowstone longbows. now i had been hunting with my Stalker and leaving my longbow in camp but with the missed opportunity John mentioned that in hunting with someone that had hunted with my bowmaker, it was bad juju not to be toting the longbow.  works for me, i love shooting both.

speaking of longbows, Jim im going to try to call ya this next week sometime and order one of yours.

anyway, i had hiked all over creation looking at scenery. the terrain was weird. like being in river rock every step up or down.

i ended up one evening sitting an area that had a feeder nearby and a water hole as well.  talk about a double whammy!  someone had made a little natural blind along side a tank, and i was checking it out.  sitting in it, i couldn't help but smell the STRONG smell of marijuana!  oh great, some cat was in here smoking the reefer before i got here.  i looked for buds on the ground but to no avail. the smell remained quite strong though and finally in leaning and looking i discovered that the yellow flowers on the plant that made the blind were the cause. it was like being at a concert!!  kind of funny.  ive never smoked it, but these leaves were hard and sharp like throwing stars, and had 7 or 8 points.  not like any marijuana ive ever heard of.  but it REALLY smelled like it.

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
now concert aside, i had sat quite a while and not seen or heard anything and was getting restless. sitting my bow down and walking over to my pack, i began sorting stuff to cure boredom.  see where this is going?  yep. i was dinking around and heard something, which turned out to be a young javalina standing quite close.  and my bow was not so much.  nobody ever said i was smart.  anyway the young porker went to the water and i crawled to my bow.  no way to get a shot though, the javalina finished and turned to leave.  the corn just wasn't doing it. hed have gotten away too but at one point he doubled back a bit and gave me a shot.  nobody in camp shot a smaller one.

a REAL archer can hit a smaller target...

after that i really enjoyed the trip, but didn't hunt as much for me.  got to help trail John's big hog, hung out with new friends, listened to crazy tales from the Wensels, and listened to and tried to translate stories from Fred, our local auctioneer!!  my last evening i was going to go hunt with a younger hunter, and be the camera man.  sounded like fun. they had set a blind previously and were sure it would be a hit.  it was, right away a big hog came in to about 20 yards but Gabe didn't feel right with the shot.  sounds like a good decision to me. did get good film and a still pic or two though...  he was a biggun!

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2014, 11:21:00 PM »
and then things got chaotic.  i ended up spotting a herd of javalina a LONG ways out, bedded and milling around. we made a last ditch effort stalk right before dark, and i thought i put Gabe in the right spot for a shot, right in front of the herd.  i skirted the hill to hopefully get a shot after he did, i knew theyd scatter around.  getting around the hill i saw a different group coming in and made a move. long story short, i got a 12 yard shot at a BIG javalina and drilled him.  but it was right at dark. nobody had any problems with coyotes so far so we figured coming back in the morning was a good idea.

not so much, the song dogs had their way with my javalina.  crazy end to a crazy trip.  ill close with a few more pics. i like this one of John, good pic!

there were some dandy muleys around!  this was a small one.

is it September yet??

Offline huntnmuleys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »

is it September yet??

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »
Thank you guys for sharing the stories and pics with us. This is what it is all about! This sounds like you guys had the time of your life. This will be a hunt I will do, hopefully sooner rather than later. Thanks again, i really enjoyed it.
Kole

Offline KYFOXSTICK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2014, 08:43:00 AM »
I'm not sure how to post pictures without photo bucket...if someone could give me a hand I have a few pictures from this hunt. Thx
Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one. -- President Thomas Jefferson

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
Here ya go!

Lincoln

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
   Lincoln

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2014, 12:45:00 PM »
Oops. Triple post!!  Sorry bout that
   Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©