3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey Eyesight  (Read 463 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey Eyesight
« on: March 18, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if a  quiver full of pink arrows would stand out to a turkey?

I plan on using a fletch cover but the shafts are pink.

Is that something they can see easily?  I would hate for the one chance I get every decade to be blown by something so simple. The odds are already stacked against archers.

Usually I use a safarituff quiver but fir turkeys I have a bow quiver.

This is the only picture of these arrows I have at the moment.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey Eyesight
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
If you're hunting in a tent blind you may be OK. Turkeys have very keen eye sight and they're not curious, they just leave when something is not right.

Good luck with the turkeys!!!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
To be honest Charlie, I wouldn't take the chance. They can in deed spot bright colors in a heart beat. I suppose you could paint them. If you like woodies, give me your specs and I'll make you up some no charge.I like to use natural color fletchings as well. You need to take every precaution you can when it comes to their eye sight!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:00 PM »
Thanks David!

I have arrows and am not partial to Carbon.

The reason I was wondering is because I have special broadheads sent to me by Bill Dunn from Zipper Bows for a  special cause that I want to use.

The weight is right with the pink arrows but I can keep tinkering.  I will need to wait until I can go somewhere to shoot broadheads until I will know whether they will work with my woodies.

Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:21:00 PM »
Turkeys can see 300 degrees without moving their head, and in color.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
all birds see color very much, that's why some birds are brightly colored just like the red white and blue of the turkeys head.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
I wouldn't trust them  Charlie.  I can't prove it,  but I blame bright colors fletch with closing me opportunities and more than one gobbler.  I finally wised up and only use natural barred feathers for turkeys.  And I use magic maker to darken my broadheads.   When I hunt outside of a blind I take no chances with anything bright at all.  Those pink shafts are going to be beacons to a turkey.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Thanks for the great responses guys.

Joe, I may be building some camouflage Turkey arrows.  Of course with Purple heads!

I don't have a blind, just using my Gillie suit.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member

Offline Redfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
I agree with Caughtandhobble, turkeys have very keen eye sight and they're not curious BUT the number one thing is MOVEMENT!!!! I have been out in the field many a day leaning against a tree and have turkeys very close feeding. They seem to know you are there and shy away if they are too close to you, but if they catch movement then most of the time the game is over in a hurry!!!

Brent

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
In a blind I bet you'd be ok. In the open I can't see you not getting busted.  I've been busted more times by turkeys in full camo than I can count. When they get into traditional archery range the whites of your eyes will give you away.  It's unbelievable how little it takes to make an Easten gobbler putt and disappear! I remember reading an article about turkeys when I was growing up I can't remember who wrote it but it was probably in Outdoor Life, the author said "if turkeys could smell like deer we wouldn't even know they exist" .  Haha!

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Them sure some purty pink arras you got there! hrhehejehe

Larry
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »
Them sure some purty pink arras you got there! hrhehejehe

Larry
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Turkey eyesight... is insane.  I have been busted by a pair of them at more than 150 yds.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
In the fall turkeys around here can see if I have a turkey tag in my billfold or not and they behave accordingly.  They only get excited about my fluorescent chartreuse arrows when I have a turkey tag.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
Our turkeys are probably dumber than your eastern birds, but so far, all the turkeys I have taken with a bow were spot and stalk situations. If your terrain is friendly to sneaking around in your ghillie, those arrows would probably be ok if they are in your Safari Tuff. As stated, turkeys have eyesight second to none, and when they see something that they aren't familiar with, you will hear "putt, putt" and they will be out of there with their dumb looking shuffle.
If you are set on a bow quiver, I would agree with all above and say that those arrows will spook turkeys.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 10:55:00 AM »
As my dad used to say, "eyes of a turkey, nose on a bear and ears on a deer"

The three best senses.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
It is my understanding that turkeys have excellent vision, in color, but a relatively poor sense of smell.

I have asked ours but they remain mute on the subject.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
We used to use a candle to blacken the inside of our shotgun barrels to keep the turkeys from seeing the shine.

And I know what you are thinking... if they are close enough to see that they should be dead...

NOT SO!

You cannot underestimate their keen eyesight. I once read that their eyesight is 12 times better than ours as far as perception goes. That is, if it takes us 12 seconds to finally spot something out of place in the woods... they only take a second to "see" it.

If they had the sense of smell that a deer does... we would all probably just have to hunt them with rifles!

Good luck!!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I wouldn't try using those, unless your inside of a blind without painting them first.

I like my fletches bright for everything but turkeys. I generally take a spray can of black or gray primer and give a few of my turkey arrows a spray job. Joe is also right about needing to camo your broadheads. I've had birds spot the reflection from a shiney broadhead from inside of a pop-up blind. Taking into consideration that most of my shots at turkeys have been from 4 to 12 yds, so they are pretty close. The bird I shot last year was my longest shot with trad equipment at 22 yds.

Good Luck!
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline stillhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
The first criteria in my area because shotguns share the season is safety. Red and blue are surely out buy I'd be leary to use any bright colors when out of a blind and calling.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©