3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A&H problem  (Read 312 times)

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
A&H problem
« on: March 18, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
I have an original aluminum riser on my 64 inch limbs. I posted this before, I shoot with the feather touching my nose as one anchor point. Every once in a while, I will hit the back of my bow hand with the feather quill. I have raised the nock point in the past, built up the bottom pad.  A friend of mine shot the bow yesterday in the basement and the first shot ripped into the back of his hand.
I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this and how they resolved it, what riser they were shooting,etc. I called and left a message with A&H. I might try another riser. I would like to try the JT or RC.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A&H problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
Was at a shoot Sunday and a shooter had a stick on elevated rest, said when he shot off shelf the feather cut his hand.

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
He also shot and A&H.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
happened with mine all the time..finally got rid of it..annoying to shoot

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
happened with mine all the time..finally got rid of it..annoying to shoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
So, I am not the only one. I shoot three under on a bow not tilled for three under. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I had the same issue. A buddy of mine also had the same problem. Per A&H advice, I glued a piece of leather on the shelf which seemed to help. Also, some feather types seem to be worse than others and the way they are position in relationship to the shelf. I place mine at 12/4/8 o'clock position.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 09:39:00 PM »
I had one that did that also.  I wanted to try an arrow rest on it, but I sold the bow.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I had the same problem with my 14" riser on my a&h  , Damn feathers would take the bark off right off my hand, I raised the nock point and cured it Most of the time. A&h is fine bow but I swear they have some funny quirks with them!
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
I had that issue once.  Not an A&H though.  I was shooting right wing feathers.  Switched to left wing feathers and problem was solved.  Not sure what kind of feathers you are shooting but it's something to think about.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline B3a5t

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I had the same problem with my 3 piece but not with the 2 piece..thought it was me
Max
A&H 3pc 57@28
A&H 2pc 58@28
BW SAII 58 @28
BW MAII 53@28
Dryad Orion Static RC 47@28
Toelke Whip 2pc 58@28
Cascade Golden Hawk Mag 65@27

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:00 AM »
meatCKR has nailed it!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
I like a riser cut close to the hand. My guess is you're right handed and shooting right wing helical, switch to left wing and you'll never cut your hand again. I also fletch with tape and make sure I put a good dab of Fletchtite on the lead edge of the quill to cover up the sharp edge.  I have a Pittsley Predator and was shooting with a friend. If you've ever shot one they're cut very low and the arrow is right on your hand. I was shooting aluminum's at the time and he was shooting carbons. He gave me one of his carbons to try out, right wing when I've always shot left. The first shot I buried a feather 1" into my hand. The only reason I shoot left helical.
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 07:31:00 AM »
Nope Yellow Dog,
I shoot right hand and have always shot left helical as recommended.  My feather orientation has to be the same because  I use my feather as a reference point.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:32:00 AM »
Try putting your cock feather in, this should help some. The ST grips and big ole paws are challenging from time to time. I have never tried any of their other 3 piece risers, but I can tell you the 1 piece A&H has one awesome grip   :thumbsup:

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
Any bow with a grip that allows your hand to be at the level of the shelf will do this.  You can revert to the "other wing" fletches, you can shoot a different style of fletching (4 fletch  or two fletch), or you can often simply turn the orientation of the arrow (nock) when you apply those fletch so that they sit in a manner that they won't contact your hand.  Also, try sanding the front edge of the feather so it doesn't catch things as easily.

CHuckC

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
That skinny throat can make the back of the hand pucker up and be as high or higher then the shelf on the standard riser. I bet there are dang few guys that have had an A&H that haven't been feather nipped using the standard 14" riser. You won't have that problem with a 16" or a JK. I never used an RC though.
lll

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
What Chuck and Killing stuff say.  I've been shooting ACSs for nearly 10 years, all with JK low wrists.  Seldom have a problem with feathers hitting my bow hand.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Shot a standard 14" riser at Kazoo a couple years ago, and after three arrows had a little blood trail on the top of my hand from being nipped by the feather.  As Killinstuff said, I noticed the meaty part of my hand puckered up and was right to the top of the shelf.  Would not have been pleasant to shoot like that for any length of time.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »
Definitely try nocking the arrow backward, with the cock-feather facing the other direction.  

Leaving a nice smooth drop of glue on the leading edge of that feather may help you as well.

I shoot with a rest, both with my recurve and my longbow.  I find my shooting to be much more accurate and consistent, because my arrows no longer have anything to bump into as they launch out of the bow... they no longer hit my hand, nor the shelf.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©