3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3 Legged Deer  (Read 454 times)

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
3 Legged Deer
« on: March 19, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
I got a few pics of a 3 legged deer on my cams near one of my stands.  Just curious, would you shoot her if you had the chance.  I dont think I could.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 Legged Deer
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
Depends, if she is getting along ok, and most do, probably not, however, if she looked to be suffering, yes.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:59:00 AM »
I have a first year buck running around behind the house with three legs.  He lost his leg way up almost to his belly.  It's amazing to watch him move.  I would never shoot that deer and hope none of the neighbors do.  It's actually surprising how many deer I see with only three working legs.
T ZZZZ

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
I saw the same 3-legged doe on few occasions during the PA archery, rifle and late season.  She had a fawn with her, and appeared very healthy... hopefully they both made it through the winter.

I had at least one shot opportunity with my bow and opted not to shoot.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »
I shot one with a rifle several years ago. I didnt know it had three legs it was just walking funny and seemed like the right thing to do as I asumed it was hit. Leg was completely healed over prob a year old wound from previous rifle season is my guess.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by Keith Zimmerman:
I got a few pics of a 3 legged deer on my cams near one of my stands.  Just curious, would you shoot her if you had the chance.  I dont think I could.
I would, why not?  As long as he's legal your only gonna miss out on a few pounds of meat.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
I would be honored to take a 3 legged doe as my first trad deer.  I bet the meat on her is still good.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline the elf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Up in my area---it might be the only deer that I see----or that I have a valid tag for.

So yes ---definitely.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
We had one on a farm I use to hunt. One of her front legs was gone. She was off limits to shoot and had twins every year when we saw her. I guess she finally died of old age.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Izzy:
your only gonna miss out on a few pounds of meat.
I started braising the shanks last year (thanks to a thread I found on TradGang) and they are SOOOO good, I wouldn't dare shoot a deer with only 3 shanks... I mean, legs!      :D

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »
I agree Danny.  I havent seen her getting around in person.  On pics she looks fine.  So I will let her go if I see her this fall.  Thre are other deer to shoot.  And if I would get desperate for a couple pounds of meat, I would go to the store:)

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
I have not had the opportunity with a bow but I have taken one with a slug gun.  It was a doe in fine condition missing the lower part of a hind leg.

If I see a wounded or suffering animal I would take it.  Hereabouts if it proves unfit for consumption the DEC will issue you a replacement tag.

We have a cat that lost a leg as a tiny kitten (animal attack: coyote/fox/dog?).  Someone left him at a shelter so the history was unknown.  Being known soft touches the local shelter asked it we would take him (thankfully AFTER all the vet/surgery that a local vet did pro buono).

At the time it looked like it would be just to make him comfortable for a few days until it was over.  This was after the dressings came off and he started to come around.  He was tore up top, bottom and the leg gone (shoulder and all).

This is whhat he looks like now.  Doesn't walk very well, so he runs everywhere.

We have an attached two-car garage and he begs to go out there and hunt.  Bless his heart he brings us mice regularly.

Now, granted an indoor cat leads an easier life than a deer, but three legs run almost as well as four from what I have observed.  Sure is pitiful to watch him walk and when he junps down off furniture sometimes he bottoms out.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
I have seen 3 legged deer a few times. Never close enough to shoot. But if one does come close enough I'm shooting. Even if there is other same size does standing in range I'm taking the 3 legged. Where I live it will have the hardest time in deep snow and long winters. Not to mention the last thing we need running around is an excuse for people to blame hunting as animal cruelty. Example: 3 legged deer crosses road in front of mini van. Kids in minivan say mom look that deer is hurt. Mom says it was probably shot by a hunter.
 Even though the odds are it was hit by a car, caught in a fence etc....we will get blamed. My opinion, put it in the freezer...thats what I will do if I get a chance.

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 06:33:00 PM »
I agree with Lb Hunter!  We have enough deer that we can cull the crippled.  we shoot bucks with dink antlers to improve the herd. I also admire them for adapting. my 2cents
Larry
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »

I would have shot this 3-legger if I had the chance.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Duncan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
Of the 3 legged deer we see here it seems the ones with a missing front leg fare better than the ones missing a rear leg. I see lots of deer right in my yard and there is always a lot of gun hunting all around us so there are often deer missing parts. One I saw was actually dragging the broken front leg around when it showed up after the season went out. It eventually fell off and healed over and was around for about 3 years. Never seen a rear legger last to the next season.
Member NCBA

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I will always try to get a shot at a deer in range .
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
If it's legal to shoot and I feel no moral contradiction to taking it I will always shoot especially if an animal appears to be suffering. Now if the doe had fawns or young yearlings with her I would not shoot her.
James Kerr

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I'd shoot a 3 legged deer if I had the opportunity. Why not?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
I would not be inclined to shoot one if it appeared to be in good shape. However, now I am surprised to hear of so many making it considering the number of coyotes around.
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©