3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would you do different?  (Read 983 times)

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would you do different?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I would not change a thing. I like the way my archery evolution has gone. Without the experiences I went through I would not be the same person I am now and I really like ME the way I am.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Builder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
Same story as most of the guys above.
Bought a heavy bow because I was sure I could handle it. Shot 80lbs with my wheelie bow, worked back breaking, ball busting construction work my whole life so no problem.
After a while I quit having a solid anchor and went to holding on target and drawing the bow to my anchor and it was gone, called it snap shooting.
That led to full blown target panic. Took a lot of work to work out of it.
Had Norm build me a 42lb Blacktail I used after surgery and wound up shooting one of the largest deer I ever shot, arrow blew right through it.
Kind of an eye opener, I quit bashing light weight bows after I seen first hand what they actually can do.
USMC
Providing the enemies of America to die for thier countries.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
Not one thing would I change in my archery or my life. It has gone the way God wanted and I am happy.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:00 AM »
I would have kept the Bear take down that I sold for 275$. I paid 70$ for it and thought I hit the jackpot. Young and dumb!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:00 AM »
I would have liked to discover 3D shooting and trad oriented organizations much sooner. For quite a long time, I just was not aware that there were other trad shooters in the area.
Sam

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
I would have held on to bows that fit me like a glove and fit my style of shooting perfectly. I have gone through numerous bows and gobs of cash trying out different bows. The bows I have now will be with me until I can no longer shoot...unless   :bigsmyl:
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
I would have never agreed to use clear fiberglass, and I would have stuck to just making longbows, and not made recurves.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
If I could, I would have had a Father, Grandfather, Uncle, Cousin, Brother, Someone that was Real Close that i could have learned and Hunted with. Only Child Syndrome, Worthless StepFathers, Everyone else is/was too Old to mess with The Kid of the Family.
 Thats ok, I am Content and Happy with My Life. I Agree with Danny Rowan, just the way God intended!!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
I would adapt you shakes but it looks like you're 2 years older than me.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
I would have never agreed to use clear fiberglass, and I would have stuck to just making longbows, and not made recurves.
Sounds like I might have got Mike's last recurve, clear glass and all!!  It is stunning and I can't wait to post some pics.  Thanks again Mike.

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
Less draw weight and more arrow weight.

Keep it between 50-55# and 10-11 gpp
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline gedman59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I also started before compounds, turned to the dark side in my late teens, started a family in my 20s and quit bowhunting till my 40s when I bought a longbow , even though I live in central Mn with tons of good public land.   Don't make that mistake.
Ron

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Great thread idea and interesting posts...
I would tend to sum it up more along the lines of "God bless the broken road" that led me here. I don't hate my compound or the many, many days afield with it. They are very fond memories but traditional archery is simply way more challenging and rewarding for me. I can honestly say I never felt more like a hunter than being on the ground inside 10 yards from a buck that has no clue I am there.
To more specifically answer the question... I regret not spending more time with my brothers and father in the woods and on hunts. I love them all but they are tough to get together with. We all keep busy with our very own version of life but tomorrow is promised to no one. Make time for those you love and be certain they know how you feel!
That's my 2 cents.

:deadhorse:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Noooooo, I'm still going to use clear fiberglass, just because something is a bit challenging doesn't mean I'll stop, if that were the case I wouldn't be using traditional equipment.  If that were the case, I wouldn't still be using hand tools, I can go on and on.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
I began bow hunting in 1982 when compounds were the rage. I enjoyed all my years bow hunting with wheels, which helped me to develop good wodsmanship skills. I killed my share of deer during those years and had a lot of great experiences. As I matured as a hunter, like many folks, I went through typical stages; e.g. limiting out stage, trophy stage...and ultimately to the sportsman stage.

For me, archery has kind of been a quest. At first, a quest for superior archery technology to aid me in killing deer as I transitioned through my hunting stages. Now, it's a quest to simplify my hunting methods and savor every God given minute remaining. Sometimes I envy those of you who have never shot a compound, and your life-long commitment to trad archery. That said, I don't have a lot of archery regrets. I'm glad I switched to trad archery and have loved every minute spent learning from so many of you here. Regret? I guess I don't have any true regrets for my archery journey. It has lead me here and I'm happy with my passion for trad archery now.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
First off I have to report that I'm very happy with most of the road-forks I've taken over the years. So many of them lead to learning and terrific memories.

I do wish I hadn't been so picky in the early 80's when I had the best whitetail spot to hunt that I've ever had. I passed up a lot of deer that I wouldn't dream of passing these days. I do remember an election day deer in early November of 1981 or 82. Had him at 10 yards, then 15, and then the opportunity disappeared. To this day the largest live deer I've ever seen. I was afraid I'd spook him at 10 and at 15 the quartering away was too steep too risk.

The only strictly do-over I'd take would be to have stuck with curves when I attempted to return to them in 2001 with a Fox High Sierra.  I lost my hunting spot that year and settled for a new place I didn't know well. I passed on small bucks that season with not a single opportunity at a Doe or a buck I wanted to shoot. I returned to the compound in 2002 and didn't come back to curves until the 2009 season.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
Not change a thing in my archery journy. I learn better by trial and error and its alot more fun that way. Wouldnt have married either ex wife though and bought more bows and did more hunting................
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2014, 08:14:00 PM »
I would like to think I would have gotten some training from someone that knows something about shooting. Went to Rod Jenkins class last year. Since my shooting has become much more consistent.  Before I had my good days but too many bad ones.  Also I started bow hunting in the late 70s went to an archery shop and looked around at the compounds they had. Then asked the owner if they didn't have any recurves. His reply was "bow hunting is hard enough with a compound, you don't want a recurve" maybe he was right in a way, I learned a lot and enjoyed the compound. But maybe should have kept looking for a recurve.
Also I am in the process of building my first bow. Something I have thought about for quite a few years. Wish I had done that a lot sooner
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline pruski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
I should have kept my first custom recurve (robertson stykbow montana falcon)  60" 57# @ 28" draw.  back in 1994..

i have bought and sold so many bows since then it's crazy

Should have used all that wasted money on hunting trips.

live and learn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
2 things I would like to do different.

I wish I hadn't passed up hundreds of deer when I was young waiting for a trophy. Maybe then it wouldn't have taken me 22 years to kill one with a bow.

When I was younger, I wish I had spent less money on Beer and More money on hunting trips.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©