3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split or 3 under  (Read 984 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Split or 3 under
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I am only wanting to know what you are shooting(split of 3 under).  If you would like, you can explain why you do, if you swapped, why? Or anything else.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split or 3 under
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
Right now I am shooting split finger because my bow does not shoot well with 3 under. I do belive that 3 under is generally more accurate for hunters and barebow shooters at common hunting ranges.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:29:00 AM »
I use both, used to string walk, and am used to the differnt perspective. Also have along draw and use 3 under if shooting a bow shorter than 62", Works for me.  :)
'skin that one, and I'll get ya another!"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
I use split finger for all my bows and all the time. I have tried 3 under a few times and never could get used to it. I just shoot better split fingered.
James Kerr

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I can't get used to three under and I get a better flight with split finger.  I use split fingers but a high anchor.  Mike Fedora got me shooting like this and it seems to do best for me.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
Been shooting for Trad 30 years split I never saw anyone shoot 3 three under until the mid 90's and I went the the Mississippi State shoot and lot of folks were I like split feel I have more control of the arrow for awkward hunting shots. Lotta good three under shooters out there though. Most of our shoots back then didn't allow 3 under to prevent string walking.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
I shoot split and have for close to 20 years,it just feels more natural to me.Back years ago 3D shooting,shooting split finger was one of the rules for traditional longbow.Probably has changed since then as there are more classes these days.I feel I can control the arrow better.Nothing against 3 under,it just looks and feels odd to me.I'm just so used to split and see no reason to change and I shoot better split.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I think both styles have advantages but the 3 under style makes a bow consistently louder.

the advantage of 3 under with a high anchor makes the gap much smaller to point on at short yardage.
Your point on shooting split finger with a low anchor will be 40-50 yards vs 3 under high anchor at 25-30 yards..... just an example. Milage may vary...

i prefer split finger because it feels more natural and i like to feel that arrow snuggling up to the string nock. you can adjust your gap with high or low anchor points..... i suppose "Face walking" is frowned on in competition too, but i see no reason it should be..... i say what ever works for you is the best.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Great post Kirk! I agree but like you say to each his own.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline gedman59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 01:13:00 PM »
Started split fingered and never heard of 3 under till the internet.
Ron

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
I have always used split finger. I tried  3 under a few times, but just don't care for it.
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Tried 3 under.
Having that nock up by my eye scared the heck outta me...
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
I've always shot split finger and never saw a good reason to change.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Have shot both... but 3 under works best for me.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
I shot split, but after my rotator cuff/bicep surgery and recovery, it seemed like it was easier to draw a couple extra pounds with my fingers together, in the 3 under position. I don't know if it was real or in my head, but it just seemed easier to get that last 2" of draw with 3 under. It may be in my head or it may be my particular circumstance of my injury and recovery. Either way, I'm 3 under now.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:32:00 PM »
I shoot split BUT I teach new archers 3 under(wife and son)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 04:55:00 PM »
I am the opposite of most. I shoot 3 under and can't shoot split for some reason.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
Started split. Very comfortable, very natural. Made it tough to be as accurate as I wanted though.

Made myself stick with three and I'm glad I did. My accuracy went way up and my success in the woods did too. It's not hard to tune out noise when shooting three under, and all of the top IBO shooters shoot three under. It makes sense to get the arrow close to your eye so you can just point and shoot.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Shooting 3U just doesn't feel natural or traditional to me. Iv' tried it with my recurve, but reminds me of shooting a compound and seems dangerous without being able to feel what the arrow nock is doing. Just me, have nothing against it! I shoot Hill style bows, so for me split is the only way.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Started shooting traditional bows about 10 years ago.  Started using split and changed to 3 under when I started  coaching NASP and teaching gap shooting.

Be interesting to poll the top shooters in our sport and see which method they use.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©