3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split or 3 under  (Read 985 times)

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split or 3 under
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
3 under since 1990. I get a so much cleaner more consistant release 3 under than I ever could split finger. Arrow nock at corner of mouth and shoot instintive...........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Online katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
3 under and tab here, when I shot split it was actually 2 under as the index finger was off the string with a glove.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I shoot split.  Always have.  This picture shows how I tend to draw my bow.  Note how much "emphasis" is on the middle finger, right under the nock.  He seemed a reasonably good shot so I draw with plenty of "emphasis" on my middle finger.
homebru

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
I have always used split finger. I tried  3 under a few times, but just don't care for it.
Me too.

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
The first time I was exposed to three under was in the mid 60's.  It was called "gun barreling", and used frequently by tree hunters. We tried it a few times, along with using bow sights, but always ended up reverting back to split finger- instinctive shooting which is what I have used for over 45 years.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
I shoot 3U and have since I started shooting 24 years ago. It's what I know.

I shoot split too sometimes just for the heck of it and I'm not bad split. , it just feels awkward so I stick with. 3U
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline LEWIS VADEN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
Split for me. Shot 3 under for a few years with good success, but like split because of the noise difference.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
I shoot split finger and two under

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by muth:
Be interesting to poll the top shooters in our sport and see which method they use.
When it comes to the top shooters/bowhunters in IBO, they all shoot 3 under, regardless of whether they shoot gap or instinctive. There's a youtube video of Dave Wallace, one of the former IBO Longbow champions and this past year's runner up, shooting in slow mow. I got a chance to shoot while he was warming up- he's the real deal, fluid and smooth and deadly accurate with a Hill style bow of his own make and wooden arrows.

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
with short bows (50-54") i shoot three under,better  as it eliminates finger pinch,fo my long bows,66" and up i shoot split.

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
Interesting information Kegan.  I have been watching some of the old films of Howard Hill and Fred Bear on youtube,  that along with just purchasing a Northern Mist longbow, got me thinking about trying split again.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
Watching Hill videos was one of the reasons I was so hesitant to switch, but I'm glad I did, makes shooting fifty yards or less a lot easier. Art Young shot three under though, and he had no issues shooting out to 100 yards or more with his heavy selfbows and wooden arrows. It's definately traditional, though  :)

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Switched to 3 under a couple months back. Helps me hold at anchor longer...just feels stronger to me. Also seems like I can get away shooting a shorter bow (no squeezing the nock when finger pimch sets in)

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2014, 07:03:00 PM »
I started shooting longbow 3 yrs ago so am still new  I shoot Lh but am rh  so had that challenge due to dominent eye. I started split but always struggled w high low misses. Couldn't get used to that foot n a half gap. Since switching to 3 under i have moved way up in the shooting ranks and am solidly mediocre. I find that this style of shooting is putting my arrows closer to where I look w/o worrying about gap. I can now concentrate on my form which took a back seat to trying to figure out aiming when I was shooting split. I have friends who are great shots w split but to me it feels like hip shooting. We are all built and wired differently and should do whatever give us most enjoyment.  Great thread!

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
3 under for 2 years, shot good, was about to give up trad, switched to split know I shoot great, plus my longbow is 10x quieter split and increased my effective range by 10 yards.

Offline antler chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
split for me, more natural.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
Split since a kid , then 3 under as the best I knew used it. Now I know why.
Had problems with at first , until I learned it isn't the 3 under that is the problem.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Started 3 under and shot good until I got my bow properly tuned then had to switch to split. Luckily it was an easy transition.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Split. Since 1965
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Started out split fingered, but tried out three under last summer.  It took a little getting used to, but now I like it much better than split.  I'm more accurate as well.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©