3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Split or 3 under  (Read 986 times)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Split or 3 under
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
More accurate 3 under, at hunting ranges, which is all I really care about anyway.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Three under since the 70's after breaking my forth digit.  Split finger does not feel right to me and I struggle shooting that way.  My nickname in middle school was apache john for the way I shot.
habujohn

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
OK---this thread moved me to try split again Friday night---what I immediately noticed other than my arrows being high--which I expected was that they were grouping much better and perfectly in line left to right than when I shoot 3 under.  I have been shooting non-stop over the weekend (starting to over do it) and focusing on ignoring the arrow and bearing down on a spot on the target.  Up close (15yds and under) I am making progress and am starting to relearn further shots---30 is quite a distance for me.  My gap with split is about 10 inches higher (18 total) than my gap with 3 under at 20 yds, but I think practice and many arrows will make worrying about gap a thing of the past---right?

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
never cared for split.....3 under was MUCH more comfortable for me..!!!  Split always pinched my right inside of my right index finger. Found 3 under to be very comfortable and very accurate. Can easily have a new bow tillered for 3 under as well......love it.
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by KeganM:
Started split. Very comfortable, very natural. Made it tough to be as accurate as I wanted though.

Made myself stick with three and I'm glad I did. My accuracy went way up and my success in the woods did too. It's not hard to tune out noise when shooting three under, and all of the top IBO shooters shoot three under. It makes sense to get the arrow close to your eye so you can just point and shoot.
After my big archery tournament in may I will try out 3 under for a month to see how I like it.  
My question is,
If my BW is tuned for split, will it still work well with 3 under?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I shoot split finger.  Tried 3 under a couple of years ago but just wasn't consistent enough, so I went back to split.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline The Ole' Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
I shoot split fingers...I like the idea of using my fingers securely keeping the arrow properly nock to the bowstring.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
I've yet to come across a bow that I couldn't tune well for three under. You will need two nocking points though. I had issues with noise until I used a second one under the nock too.

Like I said, all the top barebow shooters all shoot three under, not one of them shoots split.

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 09:34:00 PM »
I shoot split because that is the way I learned a loooong time ago. I have tried 3-under and just can't get the hang of it.

Bisch

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by KeganM:
I've yet to come across a bow that I couldn't tune well for three under. You will need two nocking points though. I had issues with noise until I used a second one under the nock too.

Like I said, all the top barebow shooters all shoot three under, not one of them shoots split.
Kegan, I have noticed that no one that is in the top shoots split.  What would be the best starting point for trying out 3 under as far as nock point in comparison to split?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
Shot split for a long time tried three under a few years back  now split feels real goofy now. I can't say I shoot better with one or the other and my bows are still quiet with ether way. I only have one nocking point.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Thumper Dunker:
Shot split for a long time tried three under a few years back  now split feels real goofy now. I can't say I shoot better with one or the other and my bows are still quiet with ether way. I only have one nocking point.
All the yotes in California despise the fact that you have fingers!     :scared:      :scared:      :scared:

Bisch

Offline Blessed One

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Shot split now I shoot 2 under that ring finger gives me fits on the release but 2 under I get a great release every time
Working that Northern Mist Mojo!
Making the transition from one who hunts bows to one who bowhunts!

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
Shoot split but at full draw have very little pressure on top finger, just seems to give me a crisper release. Never be a top target or 3d shooter but in the hunting woods I seem to do alright.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I shoot better 3 under. Switch from split fingers.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline chall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
I just started 3 under this last year and it works better for me. I thought it would be awkward until I tried it.
Eric Hall, Chris Hall , Cyndy Hall

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by DanielB89:
Kegan, I have noticed that no one that is in the top shoots split.  What would be the best starting point for trying out 3 under as far as nock point in comparison to split?
I normally start around 3/8" or so, and adjust depending on bareshaft flight. I just eyeball it.

There was an interesting post by Larry Yein last year about split vs. three under. He shoots split for competition, so never bothered with three under (part of the rules for longbow) but he said that trying three under gave him a boost in accuracy and control once he got the rhythm. Steve Morely has had similiar results trying three under. Both are IFAA champs, so they stick with split to keep shooting in the longbow class. As far IBO where there aren't rules requiring split though, you don't see any split finger shooters.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I like my sight picture better with 3 under.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
What Would Robin Hood Do?  I'm thinking split. I heard of three-under decades ago, but by then was too set in my (teenaged) ways to switch.
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©