3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tradbows and Ladder Stands  (Read 388 times)

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
Tradbows and Ladder Stands
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
Who uses a ladder stand with their stickbow?
What brand, based on function, how well you shoot out of it, would you suggest?
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tradbows and Ladder Stands
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
With the exception of a free standing tripod I bought last week to hunt a treeless slough, all I use is ladder stands.

I have several, primarily Cabelas model 15 footers.  They are inexpensive but don't have much of a foot platform. I compensate for this by placing the stand in the most advantageous angle in regard to the primary kill zone at that location.

There are a bunch of makes now that have a bigger bowhunter friendly platform. I think this is a very important aspect that should be taken into consideration when buying a ladder stand.

I set up so my kill zone is 20 yards or less  measured from the stand platform. I like an average shot distance of around 12-15 yards. Because the shots are generally close, I like my 56" CM Hunter 56 or 58" CM H1 for this situation (I have a 52" K-Mag due for delivery any day which should be great for this as well).

That being said, I   can    shoot my 60" CM H2 or Kota Prairie Swift from a ladder. The extra length is just a bit of a pain and can be detrimental if you happen to have a critter near the base of the tree.  If I anticipate or have to set up for a 20-25 yard shot, these longer bows get the call, though. This is exactly the type of shot I have set up with the tripod stand in the slough.

I don't have any problem shooting well from treestands.  If anything, I shoot better than with both feet on the ground.  After I get set up, I release a few judo points in the kill zones to get the feel for the shot.  If you can hit a leaf in the kill zone, center punching a deer's vitals as it stands at the same spot should be a gimme.

The other day I had a 3 point toy buck under me for 5 minutes at about 10 yards.  He needs to grow for another 4 or so years before he interests me but had he been The One, it was a chip shot as I had practiced the shot to that exact spot.

Here's a ladder stand tip.  Most stands have a stabilizer bar that ties off to the tree.  If your stand doesn't come with one, supplement this with a rachet strap to snug the stand/bar tight against the tree.  This makes the stand much more stable, quiet, and safe...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
NDTerminator, We have used two ratchet straps going opposite directions attached to the stand to tighten it to the tree.  Works great.  Something else is I sometimes stand on the seat to be able to clear my limbs for a shot.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
ND
I too have the 15 foot cabela's stand, I put the foot platform on backwards and it kicks it out from the stand to give more foot room.  Only minus is it is a little harder to climb into until you get used to.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
I hunt strictly out of ladderstands. Once you pass the 300# mark, they're almost mandantory.

I've never found a commercial ladderstand to suit me so I started building my own out of 1&1/4" thinwall pipe and 1/2" sq tubing for steps.

Deslodge Manufacturing in Missouri used to make a great stand but they shut down a few years ago.  :(
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 10:24:00 PM »
I too have almost strictly hunted out of ladderstands since 2001. No problem. My favorite is the Loggy Bayou Bowhunter ladder with the flip-up seat and angled side bars so your lower limbs clear. Tuck them into softwoods or forked/double trees, brush them up and you can sit comfortabley all day. bw

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
I got a old one from wally world 15' small foot platforum, I have taken a few out with my 54" Shrew.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 05:44:00 PM »
I also use the Loggy Bayou Bowhunter 20' ladder, The Flip seat and angled side bars are excellent features. I typically hunt with bows 54-58" long.

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the suggestions!  I'm going to check the Loggy Bayou out.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
I hunt from a 15 dicks cheapo model picked em up for $40 and I shoot my 60" curve with no problems.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
I bought a Big Game two man ladder stand this summer. I put it up(with help) in a huge shaggy bark hickory that I've hunted out of the last four years.The neighbor kid down the road from us is really getting into bow hunting and I told him we would do some hunting together.This stand will work great for that. I have several other single man ladders set also. The older I get the more I like them. No problem shooting a 60" bow out of them.

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 01:12:00 AM »
I use an el cheapo 15' ladder. As has been said, the foot platform is a bit small, but I like the fact that there are no arm rests or gun rests on it to get in the way. I have used my 62" longbow from it with leathal effect. The doe I shot last year was shot while I was seated. She kind of sneaked in on me then started to walk away, turned broadside and looked back. I couldn't stand without busting her, so I just drew and shot. I had plenty of room for my limbs.

Works for me!

Kendall, where are you in NE Iowa? I live in North Central Iowa, but hunt in Butler County where I grew up.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »
Ladders are all I use anymore for elevated stands. I got a cheapo 15t ladder(rivers edge I think) at dunhams.Works great, quick and easy to get into, stable, quiet, and the deer seem oblivious to the ladder part. About the only drawback is that they're real easy for other "hunters" to find.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Offline McGeeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 08:32:00 AM »
I hunted out of a Rivers Egde Big Buddy last year with a friend of mine. We truely tested the 500lb weight limit on it. We had plenty of room and I missed a nice 8pt. I hit a tree limb with my bow limb.

I bought a cheap one last season to practice from and am going to use it to hunt out of this year. I can't remember the brand, but I painted it and will find out next weekend when season starts how the deer will take it.

Offline KENDALL TECHAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »
30coupe, I'm in Allamakee co.We have alittle spread close to Yellow River State Forest.Great deer and turkey hunting!

Offline Oregon Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »
Man, I wish they were a more useful option on blacktails here in Oregon. But you can grow old and die waiting for blackies to use the same trail on anything like a regular basis. Still, a few have done it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©