3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Early season success!  (Read 475 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Early season success!
« on: September 19, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
Shot this doe on Monday, 9/17/07, with my DAS recurve and Razorcap broadhead. I had a really steep hill to drag her up and didn't have my saw handy to cut a limb to use as a drag. I looked around for a suitable dead limb but none were up to the task. Then I remembered that the DAS riser is made of super tough aerospace alloy so I wrapped my drag rope around the grip area and, viola, a new use for the riser..a deer drag..and it is built in. In addition, the Gen I risers have cut out in the riser which makes them very easy to hang from a limb or small bow hanger. Ingenious design.

The best things in life....aren't things!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Early season success!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Nothin like fresh freezer meat early, Bill.  :thumbsup:
 But how do you get penetration with a 3 blade?   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Glenn Carl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Very nice, always good to get that first one early in the season   :clapper:
"This is cool"  My 7 year old son Ian after shooting his new youth bow built from Elk Ninja's build-along

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:41:00 AM »
Congrats Bill. Care to share the story of the actual hunt with us?
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Cool.
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
Charlie: Sent you an email about the hunt. I used the Razorcaps last year for the first time...some I had acquired a few years ago but hadn't used. Two deer died last year with them and neither one went 30 yards....this one was the same. The Razorcaps have proven to be pretty much indestructable (no "elf toe" like the Woodsman)  and take the sharpest edge I can get on a broadhead especially if I finish them off on ceramic rod or a DMT Ulatrfine hone...and that includes what I can do with the Razoredge system on other heads. With 200 grains up front penetration has not been a problem and I don't need any jigs to get them sharp. I still love and use the Phantoms...two best heads out there, IMO.

Offline Huntrdfk@Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »
Congrats Bill, nice job.

David

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 10:01:00 AM »
Here's the rest of the story, since some of you seem to want to know it. I was reluctant to post the whole story as the shot I took did not end up where it was aimed. But having thought about it there may be something here as a "learning moment" for someone...I know it was for me...I took an old spot for granted and neglected to do a thourough "house cleaning" when I hung the stand. The good news is that the end result was quick and humane and the deer, literally, died under my stand. Here's the text of the email I sent to Charlie which tells the story.

Charlie: It is nice to have meat in the freezer early on. That is always my first goal....food on the table. We have up to four tags here in NH so I am not too fussy about my first deer of the season.

As for penetration with the 3 blade. I used to use Snuffers but put them aside after a few unfortunate incidents with poor penetration from tree stands.  Two blades NEVER gave me a blood trail I could follow unless it was on snow. Then I tried the Woodsman and was happy with that but always had trouble with the tip curling no matter how I worked the tip but they penetrated very well and on good shots left lots of blood. Then it was four blade Phantoms which I love dearly. However, I did have some Razorcaps I picked up a few seasons ago and I used them last year on two does that did not make it 30  yards after being hit. They also are the toughest head I have shot with the exception of the threaded shank can bend if it hits something obliquely. The blades themselves take and hold the best edge I can get on a broadhead, especially if I finish them off on a ceramic stick or the Ultrafine DMT stone.

I'm emailing this to you because there is a little story about this deer. The stand I was in is one of my "go to" stands. I set it up this year without doing a lot of pruning...never had to before. My wife sat in it her first nite out and saw deer and she told me that a lot of acorns were falling. They are falling late this year so I decided to hunt the stand on Monday and rest my other one.  While I was there acorns were falling from a tree about 25 yards in front of me and I realized that I had not brushed it out all that well and if a deer showed up they would be at this tree...it is one of their favorite trees when it is dropping acorns. I carefully looked for shooing lanes and made mental notes about where not to shoot due to brush or small limbs. Well, when the doe stepped into one of my predetermined lanes the arrow apparently hit yet another unseen twig and the first impression I had was that the arrow was going to be a paunch hit. It happened to hit her in front of her left thigh, cut the long tendon I the front of the thigh, went thru her paunch and completely broke the equivalent of the "knee" joint on her right rear leg. Her back legs were useless to her and she very quickly dragged herself to my treestand which was downhill from where she took the first arrow. I put another Razorcap thru her heart and lungs and the whole thing was over in about 30 seconds from the first shot. When I quartered her yesterday morning I could not believe the damage the Razorcap did to the leg joint....it couldn't have hurt her anymore than if she had her leg amputated.

I an glad that it turned out as well as it did and she died very quickly, even after a deflected first shot. I was reluctant to post the whole story on the Gang but thought I would respond to your inquest about 3 blades. I cannot tell you how good I feel about the Razorcaps and what they did to her leg joint  was just incredible. I've only taken 3 deer with them but they have all gone down in 30 yards or less and they seem to be bomb proof, except for the threaded shank...could be better I think.

Hope your season goes well. I have a deprivation permit for a deer on one property I hunt and my wife received a moose permit yesterday. It is in an area where the moose are low density but it is in country that I know and hunt...but I still have 3 deer tags to play with, a bear tag, turkey tag, moose tag and small game. Life is good.

Bill

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:43:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing the story Bill. It is one that can be learned from and serve as a reminder for others including myself. Forests are living things and change over time no matter how familiar we are with them. We need to prepare accordingly. Good luck with the rest of your season and enjoy the fine eating you have there.

Look real forward to the moose story when you get that hunt in. Did you draw a NH tag?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bobhat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 01:13:00 PM »
Congrats!
Toelke Whip
Assenheimer Hunter Deluxe
"We don't stop playing because we are old.  We are old because we stop playing."  Ben Franklin

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
David: Yes, Laura was  an alternate on the lottery. They offered her area L, which is the Seacoast region more or less west to Concord and south to route 101. Moose are not so plentiful there but, we have 25 acres in a forested wet land that we now own that has severeal moose wallows on it and we got a few leads from the local CO...so we accepted the permit. It will give us a chance to get to know the area intimately and I have saw  moose in there last year....so we are hopeful (bowhunting is not for pessimists) and excited. In fact the property we bought is about 1/4 mile from where I shot the doe and only 15 minutes from home. Life is good!

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
That is awesome. Good luck to you both!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 03:49:00 PM »
Congrats Bill!  :thumbsup:    :clapper:
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Congradulations. Hap

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2007, 03:54:00 PM »
Way to go great story and Pic Thanks for sharing!

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
Way to go Bill   :thumbsup:  Great way to start the season!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »
Nice job Bill,good way too start the season.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Congrats Bill, Nice story and good report on the performance of the Razorcaps. Just so happens  have 6 of em tipping my hunting arrows...  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
BRHA....you will like what they do unless you have already killed a few animals with them. I think they are the best three blade made and possibly one of the toughest.

Offline BamBooBender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2007, 02:04:00 AM »
Congrats! And thanks for sharing the "rest of the story" with us.

I'm convinced that "murphy" was a bowhunter.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©