3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Got my first recurve  (Read 259 times)

Offline GW14

• Trad Bowhunter
Got my first recurve
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:00 PM »
I got my first recurve this week, a 50# Bear Grizzly. I finally got time to string it and shoot today.The first shot landed a half inch from center. Just beginners luck, none of the rest were even close. I'm hoping to get my kids started. I got my oldest son his first bow in with mine.

I am shooting 32" 5575 Gold Tip traditional hunters and was wandering if anyone had any tips on broadheads. Anything on weight or number of blades. I'm thinking of trying my hand at a turkey in a few weeks.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my first recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Might consider getting a little more practice in before taking on a turkey.Just a thought

Good luck and congrats on your new bow,wish I could give you more advise but not very experienced myself.
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Got my first recurve
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
For Turkey, the biggest one that will tune with your setup is my suggestion. Simmons are popular around here for turkey. They have a small kill zone, wider blade makes it easier to hit. Pretty much you will generally go with the same weight as the field tip you are getting good arrow flight with. And then practice with the broadhead to see if you can hit good enough to go hunting.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©