3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wild Things - Tribal Gathering  (Read 511 times)

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Wild Things - Tribal Gathering
« on: March 23, 2014, 11:01:00 PM »
I just got in from one of the best weeks of my life! Eight buddies from SW PA traveled to Wild Things for five days of fun, sun, food, fellowship, and fantastic hog hunting.

All but one of the guys had been there before, for some of us, it was our 7th trip. We have never had so much action as we did on this trip. Andrew has worked hard to draw and hold hogs, deer, turkey, and other critters on the property. His hard work has really paid off.

It's too late to go into detail now, but we saw 374 hogs on our hunt!

Hopefully, one of the guys will figure out how to post some pictures and we will add comments. For now, it's off to bed, then back to work in the morning.

I believe the Fa Kow Ee tribe will be counting hogs in our sleep tonight!  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline bruinman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wild Things - Tribal Gathering
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:56:00 AM »
Awesome!! Glad the tribe got into some hogs.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Awesome I will be waiting for the pics  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
My long lost brother!! My father always said we were from the Fa Kow EE tribe. LOL

Sounds like you guys had a heck of a trip. Looking forward to pics and the rest of the story.

bretto

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
"...we saw 374 hogs on our hunt!"

I'm getting excited.  Let's hear about it.   :coffee:

Offline steve helstowski

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Let's hear it! The boys and I are there in 3 days!

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:00 AM »
Any big boars in the bunch?
Thom

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by sticksnstones:
Any big boars in the bunch?
Thom
You mean the tribe?
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
:smileystooges:  

I saw a real big black hog back in December, and about a week ago another guy posted about seeing a really big brown one. I was wondering if you guys spotted any bigger-than-usual pigs?

I've never heard of any group seeing that many in a single trip, that's amazing to itself!
Thom

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
I'm not much of a story teller so this will be brief. I'm hoping pics will follow soon.

Over the past few visits to the property hunting with Ray Hammond we became good friends with the owner, Andrew Harper. Emails, phone calls, even a visit on my vacation last summer helped bond our friendship. We have also become good friends with Andrew's right hand man, Charlie.

It was so good to see our buddy again and tour his new facilities. Wow! What a camp! Brand new bunkhouse and totally remodeled main house with beautiful meeting room, kitchen/dining room, and front porch over looking a pond.

Way too much happened over the next five days to go into the details of eight bowhunters and our individual adventures. In a nutshell...........

Over 2" rain ended right before we got there, which made the roads slick and gooey, and the swamp and woods flooded. We have been there several times and never seen water like this. Some areas were tough to impossible to get to.

Our weather started with highs in the mid 40's and ended near 80 on our last day. It never rained a drop during our stay. By the end, the roads were dry again but the water continued to rise in the swamp.

Each day we all headed out to explore the new areas around camp and to check on spots we liked from past hunts. My first morning hunt produced a sighting of 20 hogs in one group, my largest sighting ever. Too bad they were across Blue Lake (really full of water and 'gators), no way to go after them.

Each hunter had encounters throughout the week in nearly every area of the property. One of our more adventurous members found a way in to where the water had the hogs pushed to high ground. He saw 170 hogs himself throughout the hunt!

Others had close calls that almost produced a shot. A few got a shot but missed. The closest I got to an adult hog was about 55 yards until the wind shifted and sent the string of 12 hogs into high gear. I had 7 little guys around the base of my ladder stand one evening. They were having quite a good time scrapping and scratching.   :)  

As we all worked toward the picnic area for lunch on Saturday a HERD of hogs was inadvertantly pushed ahead right toward an unsuspecting hunter. Our friend got a shot off as at least 30 hogs rushed by him. The shot resulted in a non-lethal hit and was the only blood drawn on the hunt.

We spent midday relaxing, looking for arrow heads, shooting, and hanging out with our friends Andrew and Charlie. When you have a week to hunt you can really have a more leasurely experience. This was our "Spring Break" and we soaked up every bit of sun and fun we could.

The food was beyond anything we could have imagined. Andrew is quite the camp cook! From breakfast to dinner he outdid himself each time. My goodness I never ate so good! I actually lost a belt notch during our stay! We sampled some true southern cooking at camp and also at a local BBQ. Andrew's friend, Billy, joined us one evening for dinner and campfire. Lots of laughs were followed by the night sounds of coyotes and frogs. The clear night produced the most beautiful star lit sky. What an after dinner show!

It was tough to say our goodbyes and head back to cold snowy PA on Sunday. It will be another year 'til we meet again and get to explore one of the coolest places on earth.

The Tribe

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
:campfire:  Sounds like an incredible trip.  Looking forward to the pictures.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 08:16:00 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time and saw lots of hogs.  It sure beats the snow.  So how did you guys adjust your tactics/ techniques throughout the hunt?  It sounds like there were a few missed shots, but with all of the sightings, it seems there were big issues closing the gap and pushing hogs.  Was taking a canoe to high ground an option?  Any info that might help future groups 'seal the deal' would be appreciated.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
We did find a canoe, but it had a hole in it. LOL

Lots of hogs means lots of noses, eyes, and ears. Getting to what we would consider normal shooting range (less than 20yd) proved to be difficult. A bulky sleeve and a couple longer than normal shots were the reason for the misses.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Do you think Andrew would object if a hunter that was driving brought a canoe or kayak to cross the water to make it to the high ground?  Changing conditions can make things difficult for sure, and I know how the wind can swirl in those swamps.  I have been burned by bulky sleeves in the past, but fortunately only while target shooting in the back yard, lol.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
They're just itty nitty gators in the lake Pat. You can just toss them by the tail if they get in your way. You thinking about going there?

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
My money would be on Pat, not the gator, he's got a new knee and the gators are surely well feed.

That's a lot of pigs to see boys. 374  And not a dumb one in the bunch?  At lease you got the next group of guys all fire up with high hopes. Looking forward to the first dead pig pic of the year from Wild Things.  And the accommodations sure sound nice. Is the food better than Rays cooking? Ray could cook for sure.
lll

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Ray was a master with not much of a kitchen to work with. We always ate well with Ray too.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
I was part of the Fow-Kow-ee tribe and had a fantastic time.  The new arrangements for sleeping and dining would be hard to beat.  With out a doubt, the nicest "hunting camp" I've ever been at.

The hunting was also great.  This is my second trip, the previous one was four years ago.  That time I thought the hogs were "dumb" and I could just walk up on them and I did manage to see a few.

This time I had the upmost respect for their ears, eyes and nose.  The eyes can be defeated by careful movement and stealth.  A little wind will help with the ears.  But that nose, I will put up against any mature whitetail and they don't hestitate at leaving the scene at once.

Swirling breezes and the thermals usually crossing one another lies the difficulty.  Most every thing I seen was under 60 yards and quite a few times under thirty.  Even a few times under twenty but just not presenting a good shot.  I did shoot under a boar that I should have had.  

And it was a great hunt and time.  Thanks Andrew and Charles!!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
Glad you guys had fun!

Wow...that's a lot of hogs.

There are a lot of factors working against you on an encounter with a hog.

Success is present even without a kill when you share the woods and a good camp with great friends.

Thanks for sharing your stories.
Irv Eichorst

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2014, 04:37:00 PM »
Sounds like a great time. I would like to make it back down there soon.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©