3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 piece longbow  (Read 1004 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece longbow
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
Love my Super D
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
I have shot the Bama and a few of the bow bolt systems - not super D though. I also have a HH takedown with the brass/steel sleeve. I have seen the bow-bolt systems fail before - not something I want to happen on a hunting trip.  The only two piece systems I truly trust for the long haul are the brass steel sleeves and the carbon fiber locket-socket systems. These are the only two systems that will warranty a takedown longbow above 65 or 70 lbs.  The beautiful thing about the carbon fiber locket socket system is that once it is together, you would never be able to tell it is a two piece - no heavy feeling in the handle.  And I think that by their design, they are even stronger than the brass / steel sleeves.
Just my $.02
TommyBoy

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
PS - I have shot some Toelke's that were not takedowns though - excellent shooting bows -every one.  Maybe you can convince him to try the locket socket system.  I would definitely buy one!
TommyBoy

Offline kiamichi kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »
Mahaska longbow or flat bow.
For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. Phil. 1:21

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
I currently own 4 of the Howard Hill TD bows. Craig does a great job with his take downs. You owe it to yourself to discuss your needs with Craig. He'll shoot you straight. He is a great guy to work with as is Jason, Craig's son. Good luck with your quest.   :thumbsup:

Offline alex321

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
I too, am looking for a Hill take down, so am interested in this thread.  I have asked Dave miller and he said that he does not do a take down.  Bamabows do and they have a new Hill bow called the Tribute.

During my research people seem to rate take down bows by Big Jim (Don't think he does Hill style), Toelke (Does both Hill and Reflex-Deflex), J D Berry (Although I don't know if the do take downs), Northern Mist(both Hill and reflex-deflex), Howard Hill Archery... I am sure there are more, if you are not specificaly looking for Hill style like me.

Good luck on your search.
Alex

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by TommyBoy:
PS - I have shot some Toelke's that were not takedowns though - excellent shooting bows -every one.  Maybe you can convince him to try the locket socket system.  I would definitely buy one!
They've gone to using micarta in the risers for all take down bows....much stronger than just wood and glass. I'm not a bowyer, but all the bow bolt/micarta bows I've shot seemed very trustworthy.

Offline tecum-tha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
A Wapiti Spike TD. He uses a hybrid metal/locket socket type system. The two-piece option is only $75 more than a one piece. The advantage with a metal sleeve is, that you can model the grip to almost any configuration you like, depending on the size of the sleeve. I always have him use the small outer sleeve of the standard available TD sleeve, because I have small hands. He is easy to work with, but you have to tell him exactly what you want. This bow is mildly reflex-deflex but maintains longbow style. Also, no stringer needed, step through is just fine.
With smaller sleeves, I like a black linen micarta riser and dirty/stained bamboo limbs under clear glas. Man made materials are better in risers with very slender sleeves. Keith has one in stock, but it is LH. His normal turn around time is 4-6 weeks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©