3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: set up question...  (Read 367 times)

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
set up question...
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:29:00 PM »
i know there are a hundred of these threads, but i am more looking for peoples opinions and experiences with the products that i am thinking of using with my set up. i am working on setting up a 41# recurve for hunting medium sized game. my arrows are 2117 with 170gr up front w/o point weight arrows are 30.25"...i am hoping to outfit it with a good two or three blade head and am looking for a good heavy duty head that i can buy that will last and last. i currently use zwickey eskimos but would like something heavier. what are you all's opinion on how it would work. the pros the cons what you would change and what you would keep...all are welcome as all will be used to form a better setup.
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

"But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." ~Joshua 24:15b

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: set up question...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
I doubt you can get enough point weight on a 2117 to make it tune with 41 pound draw weight

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
ah ok...i think i will just looking for a lighter shaft set up. do you think a 400 carbon would be alright?
"Now then, get your weapons-your quiver and bow-and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me." ~Gen 27:3

Offline sore fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 02:49:00 AM »
A 400 spine carbon is going to be pretty stiff for a 41# bow, bud. Maybe look for a weaker spine carbon with brass inserts and there are some great heavy broadheads out there. Zwickey No Mercy, Deltas, and eclipse has the werewolf line that has heavyweight 2 bld heads.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »
I have a 42#@ 28" that I draw to almost 29".  A lot depends upon arrow length.  I have some GoldTip Hunters in both .400 and .500.  The .400s are 32" long and the .500 are 30" long (full length on both).  The .400s require a 145 grain tip while the .500s tune with a 125 tip.  .400s are a touch quieter but the .500 are flatter shooting.  I suspect that tweaking the brace will quiet the .500s as well.  GoldTip also makes heavier inserts for these shafts as well.
If you are interested in aluminum, check out some XX75 1916.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
You are going to be way stiff with either a 2117 or a .400 spine carbon on a 41# bow (if your draw lwngth is 28" and you are actually shooting 41#). If your draw length is 30+" maybe you get those too work, but they will still tend to be on the stiff end of things.

I would think you would need to be looking more at maybe an 1816 in aluminum or a .600 spine carbon (just guesses here) if you are actually drawing 41#.

Bisch

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 10:37:00 AM »
Try a 1916 legacy
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
thanks for the heads up that i will running wayy to stiff on the arrow set up. do you think that a 500 would work? i tend to keep my arrows a little long any ways as i find them easier to tune. i do apologize about the questions as i am used to shooting 55# bows and i get great results with the 2117 and .400 spine from that set up but i am forced to drop weight due to a shoulder injury so forgive my lack of knowledge on lighter poundage bows please.

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
I have two bows that are #43@28 and I am drawing a full length Beeman ICS Bowhunter 500 spine.  I am drawing 29" so I am a little heavy than the #43 marked.   At the tip I have a 200 grain VPA three blade.  These work out well.  2117 is way stiff.  And from my experience 400 would be also.
T ZZZZ

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
thank you. next time im at my archery shop ill look for some 500 spine arrows. thank you again for all your help

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Snyper, would that be Gurt's or ???    :bigsmyl:
CoilSpring

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:00 PM »
umm no not really...yeah girts is close and all but i have had better experiences at backyard achery in noblesville. how have you heard about girts if i may ask?

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
My brother and his family live there. I helped him get his first deer (w/a c-bow) 6 years ago. We visited Girts, but now that you mention it, we went to BYA too. I think that's where he ended up getting his gear - don't they have a bigger range than Girt's?

We only had access to public land - he got a big doe at Missisinewa. I had to push that doe out a mile in a wheelbarrow (his) with a flat tire, b/c the the day before he twisted his ankle on a corn cob at his church fall festival.  I missed a little 4pt with my recurve.  We had a blast tho!
CoilSpring

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
umm bya doesnt have a range so to speak of...but he does have a place that he'll let you try before you buy...the problem i had with girts was their pushiness to sell their highest priced items and lack of respect for the common customer who couldnt afford the high end bows...otherwise they do have a decent selection of gear if i cant get it at bya, which is smaller and owned/operated by one man but he makes sure you leave with what you want and some knowledge to boot.

i mainly hunt public land here..missisinewa is a good place to hunt. i see deer there almost every year...lots of land and plenty of opportunity; lots of shots and a lot of misses.. it wasnt until a few years ago i got permission to hunt on a small private lot that i was able to finally seal the deal on an indiana white tail (them buggers are real smart with all the pressure from hunters) but unfortunately it was with a smoke pole not trad gear...we had to use my truck to help drag him outta the embankment that he fell in. glad to here other have hunted in good ole indiana as well.  :thumbsup:

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
I understand about G's attitude- seen that a lot too.  Thay's why my bro went to another place and got something lower-end. He may not have bought from BYA, but another in the area with a better attitude.

His doe was as big as our Bama bucks in body size. Ya'll grow um bigger up there. The year I hunted the dam was still being worked on and the river was low.  May have to ask your advice for a better public hunt'n area for a weekend hunt, if I ever get to make it back up there again.

Will BYA sell you single shafts to test, or you want me to send you a couple GT 35/55 (500) to try? I think they're 29.5"?? I think they have 100 grain brass inserts in them, but that may even be stiff for you. A GT 15/35 (600) may fly better depending on what arrow lenght & wt you want, your Draw length and bow's center-cut. What bow, and what draw length do you have?
CoilSpring

Offline -snypershot317-

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 11:20:00 PM »
yeah he's pretty good about that. plus he is also a trad guy but mainly for recreation. i got a couple of shafts here (i think some 30" 400 and 500 with some heavy inserts) that i will try to see if i can tune. id like to have all my 'weight' in inserts and use a 100-125 gr head for ease of finding. but thank you for your offer.

and as far as a weekend hunt, i have access to some private land that i may be able to get you on; so long as you dont mind a hunting partner. if your looking for pulic land i know a few good areas as well and will be scouting some more areas out this spring once we get a little bit fairer weather. just let me know...and i can try to set you up in a good area(s). hows the hunting in alabama? always wanted to hunt down there, but i have yet to be able to travel and hunt due to expenses. are the deer pressured or is hunting pretty good?

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Wasn't looking to barge in on your private land, but always enjoy hunting with others.  Was looking for a public place to take my brother again, if I get the chance to make it up there this or next fall. He doesn't get to hunt much due to work/family.  It's just hard to help him scout from 7-hours away, but Google Earth helped me a lot on the public land we tried before.

North Alabama hunting can be hit and miss.  Where I live, there are lots of smaller properties with most owners or relative hunting them.  You get a lot of interference in patterns because of all the activity on the smaller tracts of land, but in the right conditions and locations, you can have hot-spot with much activity (before the guns start banging)  There are more larger tracts in the extreme NW and NE and parts of mid/south bama. Generally deer population is heavier further south.  Come on down, we'll put you up in a tree.  

Sent you a pm...
Take care bro.
CoilSpring

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©