3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cabelas Wool  (Read 431 times)

Offline Deeter

• Trad Bowhunter
Cabelas Wool
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
Evening guys.  Do or have any of you used the Cabela's Outfitter's Wool bib and parka?  How was the sizing what did or didn't you like?
Ben

1966 Bear Kodiak
2011 Bear KMag
2012 Bear Super Kodiak
“When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that the hunter is 20 feet closer to God.”
― Fred Bear

Online jrstegner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cabelas Wool
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Pros: Machine washable, affordable, very warm, well made, excellent fit, although I think it runs a little big.

Cons: Very heavy, slightly noisy due to the windshear lining.

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
I agree with the above observations.

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
X3

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
I would pretty much agree with what has been said.  Although I have heard if you wash it a couple times , the windshear quiets down.   I don't think the weight is to bad, it's a wool coat.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline mh2324

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
I have several of the Wooltimate Windshear items and I've found them to be great. The bibs are the Standhunter Extreme bibs and they are the only ones I would consider heavy, but they're made to be worn on prolonged sits in extreme cold. I would pack them in and out. The pants and jackets are all great all purpose hunting clothes. I never had any noise problem with the Windshear lining either. Not to say it couldn't happen, but even up to -20 or so this season they were quiet and warm.

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:42:00 PM »
I have the pants (not bibs) and parka (plus a shirt jac bearing another label that is all but indistinguishable from the Cabela's version). The parka and pants are extremely  warm, a tad noisy but not so much at still-hunting speed. You will probably never find a use for all the well-made pockets on the parka; ditto for the pants. The pants are very well constructed for hunting.

The undersized sleeve cuffs on both parka and shirt jac drive me nuts every time I try to take them off, and I have average-sized hands for my six-foot height. Before next winter, the parka cuffs are going to have elastic installed and the goofy buttons removed.

Be sure to air them out really well before using for hunting.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by jrstegner:
Pros: Machine washable, affordable, very warm, well made, excellent fit, although I think it runs a little big.

This pretty much nails it.  I have two pairs of Outfitter wool bibs, it's pretty much all I wear during the season.  Layering underneath takes me from cool early season to cold late season.

The slight noise from the lining has never been a problem for me, but I'm stand or blind hunting.  On top I wear a very quiet Outfitter Fleece jacket.  I didn't like Outfitter wool parka since I hate hunting with hoods.  Bibs are great though.

Offline usmc1029

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:00 AM »
Have the jacket and bibs.  Bought the jacket because it comes in tall, am 6'3" 245 and the XL fits great.  Had the hood cut off by a tailor because I hat hoods.  Used them for a few years with good results.  That being said, if I was to do it again I would have invested the money I spent on the set into some KOM or something equivalent.  Much tighter weave, and that has become my go to wool.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I have a bib and like it. It runs a bit large but is well suited to layering. Pretty good quality and price combination. They are not as heavy as a lot of the stuff out there, but the Georgia winters are not usually as nasty as other areas, so they are well suited to my needs.
Sam

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I must be hard of hearing because my windshear stuff makes zero sound.  The pants for me are way to warm for walking around in but work great if you sit in the cold all day.  And I prefer the vest of a coat or jacket.  As for size, I think Cabela's bubba sizes everything  so it fits my shoulders but always big in the gut.
lll

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by jrstegner:

I think this about says it all. I have the pants, pullover with hood and the vest, all great stuff. I find the sizes to run true to size for me.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »
I had the parka but it schrunk bad the only time I put it in the wash, and it was waaaay too noisy with the linning. Do yourself a favor and buy some Silent Predator from Bernie Parsons out of Penn. you won't be disappointed.
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline SKITCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 12:17:00 PM »
If you wait til after the season Cabellas always has a great sale on all this stuff. I think I got a bunch at around half price!
"A nation with little regard for it's past will do nothing in the future to be remembered" 
   Lincoln

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
I have the old unlined Cabela's Outfitter wool, made by Pendleton. It's among the finest hunting clothing ever made.

But the new clothing is nothing like it. As mentioned, the liner is both heavy and noisy. If you were going to Canada to sit in a rifle blind all day, it'd be great. But for most typical bow hunting, Silent Predator or KOM is your best bet if you want that type of pattern and you want wool. If fleece is OK, Cabela's has some great unlined, but fairly heavy fleece in Outfitter.

I'd also strongly suggest you look at Gray Wolf Wool and Day One Camo and their ASAT or Predator wool. I love my old Pendleton wool in Outfitter, especially when hunting in low pines, but I'm here to tell you that deer look thru ASAT as if you're not there if hunting in hardwoods once the leaves come down. I've had deer at 5-10 paces look at me and thru me with the ASAT on and never sense I was there. Pretty incredible stuff. And I love my plaids too, but ASAT can be pretty impressive.

http://www.silentpredator.ca/

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/home.php

http://www.dayonecamouflage.com/store/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©