3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kansas bound 2015  (Read 407 times)

Offline aim small...release

• Trad Bowhunter
Kansas bound 2015
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Well I know its a long ways away but the plans have started for my first out if state whitetail hunt. I know Kansas is draw so Im hopeing to get a point this year and get drawn in 2015. Kansas is a place ive dreamt about my. whole life here in michigan and I truly hope this works out. I am lookin into Nemeha county in NE kansas as this is the only area I have even the slightest info about because a friend has hunted it in the past. Im not looking for a gps'd spot lol but a shove in the right direction would help me for my scouting trip this summer. Thank you guys as always. Its going to be alot of work but I cant wait to do it and msybe hard work will finaly pay off.
Take a deep breath and pick a spot

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kansas bound 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »
I don't think You'll have any trouble getting a tag 4 this year if you want one. The KDWP alots many tags for out of state hunters.

Good luck hope you have a wonderful experience.

bretto

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Brandon, unless Kansas made more changes this year you used to be able to get an archery tag every year the last couple of years with left over licenses available after the draw if you didn't apply.   I don't know how the X-bow being legalized this year will change things.  I had a farm in Nemeha county for 5 years and just sold it last fall there are some nice bucks in the area but not a lot of walk in areas in this county.  Further west in the state there are more walk in areas.   Nemeha got hit hard 2 years ago with EHD also we lost a lot of nice bucks.  Good Luck.  Shoot Straight

Burton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Thanks guys. Im doin 2015 because kids will be a bit older and financialy i can swing it then.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Any Kansans correct me if I'm wrong but you must draw a buck tag, but may purchase leftover antlerless tags OTC.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
And good luck. I'm a little further south of kc. Got a buddy that has great luck in Leavenworth.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:00 PM »
Good luck! I'm at the opposite side of the state or I would try and help you out. Again good luck!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:45:00 AM »
I believe KS made some changes to their tag system and one doe tag is now included with the buck tag.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:50:00 AM »
Have fun.  I love KS. But opted for elk this year in CO.  Back to KS next year....

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
You don't need a point there, they will have left over each year there in units 9,10, hundereds of them.

PM when it gets closer, you looking into public??

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tim:
I believe KS made some changes to their tag system and one doe tag is now included with the buck tag.
Tim is correct.  They now include an antlerless tag with your buck tag.  You can also buy addional antlerless tags if you fill your first one in most units.

There are some good walk in hunting areas but you'll find more of them in the central and western part of the state as they are geared more for upland hunters.  In my experience you have to look over 25 of them to find 1 thats worth deer hunting but when you find  a good one it can be really good. Be prepared to put some miles on your truck and your boots to find it though.  

Good Luck!

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Stay off private ground!  In KS they really respect that.  And they should.  It's their ground.  Walk in hunting is marginal in some spots, good in others.  Get the book from the DOW.  It will have the walk in areas and directions.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
Id never enter anyones property without permission not even to track a deer that I could see laying there, but Im hopein with some work ill get connected and be able to hunt a little private ground.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
I would look just a bit west of there if it were me. More public land, a few less people. Truthfully, it's not crowded, at least not what we easterners are used to. Look at the walk in areas. Look at areas with brush( ditches and creeks), as so much of that country is wide open. Get a pull cart and do'nt be afraid to walk a ways.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Anyone know anything about the tuttle creek wildlife area?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Definitely not an expert but I'd do some aerial (google earth) scouting of walk on areas with creeks/ small wood lots near agriculture lands.  Contact Kansas to get .kmz files that will download to Google Earth that shows boundaries of walk on areas.

Check harvest data and EHD mortality rates.  Deer have taken a hit in the past two years.  I think 2015 is an excellent time as it would give the herd time to recoup
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 09:55:00 AM »
Parts of NE Kansas have seen a decline in the herd. I hunt private land north of Lawrence and saw very few deer last season...  Other spots and parts of the state have a good population so you should get your info from different zones. Lots of guys here can help

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 06:14:00 PM »
I hunt the area in which you are referring. I am not trying to deter you but we got hit hard by EHD. I travel all over the state for work and herd numbers were impacted much less in the western half of the state. The cover is more restricted there but that lends itself better to bowhunters as well. Just something to consider.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
Thank you. Being that im waiting for 2015 do u think the numbers will be back up?

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Brandon.....ever year can present a different scenario and their summer weather can play a big part.  We had a spot in the western part of the state that was the cats meow two years in a row.  My buddy hunted last year and the creek was dry and not a deer came through over four days.  

Gene Wensel has a spot in KS he hunted a few years in a row.  He felt that from what he had seen in past years that it wasn't worth going back last fall, but a buddy of his wanted to give it one more try.   His buddy was covered up with deer!

Just plan on getting out there and seeing how it plays out.   It's beautiful country but very different from your home state of Michigan and PA where I live.    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©