3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Solo elk Hunters. A question:  (Read 822 times)

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Solo elk Hunters. A question:
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »
I use a pack frame to get gear in/out and also to pack Elk out but use a day pack for hunting.

Cabela's Alaska pack frame
Badlands super day pack

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
I used an Eberlestock X2 with a spike duffel strapped between the bat wings when I went.

Drop the duffle at camp and you will have a pack that can bring out the first load without going back.  That will give you about 4,000 cu in if I remember. Oh you will need to buy some extension straps but it works.  Plenty extra lashing points for tent, pad, and sleeping bag.

Not a bad deal for the money in my small experience.  It's all about weight.  The altitude will tame an in shape flatlander and every ounce less helps.

ENJOY!!!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
I carried a Mountain Smith Tour Lumbar pack.  It is very packable and light.  Kept it rolled up in the main pack until camp was set up.  I can carry all I need for a days hunt.
T ZZZZ

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
If you're trying to stay under the 400$ mark watch the classifieds, or check out The Horn hunter full curl system, has frame big bag and a day pack that all work as a system easily detachable. I just picked one up, haven't been able to put it to the test but I'm liking it so far.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
I am with herd bull.  I pack my kifaru day pack with my food and clothes and strap it to the pack frame.  I also strap on my sleeping bag, pad and tent.  At my age I want to keep the weight as low as possible but want a good day bag for the hunting days out of main camp.
habujohn

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 09:58:00 PM »
Sort of like herdbull. I have a small fleece daypack that might weigh one pound and carry it in the external frame pack while backpacking.  I can't imagine having enough money to buy a $400 pack for one trip!  And this has been my setup for 30 years.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by IdahoCurt:
I use a pack frame to get gear in/out and also to pack Elk out but use a day pack for hunting.

Cabela's Alaska pack frame
Badlands super day pack
I do this exact thing.  And like mike said. I pack game bags all the time.

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:00 PM »
Horn Hunter Full Curl System it is a main pack and daypack all in one

Offline USMC0311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Horn Hunter Full Curl System it is a main pack and daypack all in one

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
While the Gen II Kifaru's are great packs, the Gen I packs can be had for half the price used now, and will do fine for what you need.

Gen I frame with a Hill People Gear Highlander and a sill nylon drybag will come in around 5 1/2 lbs, expand to carry 12 plus days of gear, and haul 100 lbs of meat. For a daypack gives you 1000 Cubic inches inside, and the room to use as a compression panel for extra jacket etc.

If you shop around, this should be doable for $400.

Not as spiffy cool as a new Nomad on a Duplex Gen II frame with all the bells and whistles, but will do everything you need it to.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Keb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
check rokslide.com and the classifieds killer deals on there I got a 250 pack for 90 bucks there.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
There are probably a hundred ways to do this.  Expandable hunting packs sound great, but most are very heavy.  A good backpacking pack with a day pack strapped to it will weigh about the same as some of the fancy hunting packs and will cost about $500 less new.  Theres no right way to do this, youre going to have to try something and see how you like it.

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »
Rob - Kuiu has a new pack system coming out called the "Ultra" series.  I watched part of a webinar on it a couple weeks ago and looks like it would suit your needs.  In a nutshell, the ultra frame is compatible with 3 different size bags - 6000, 3000 and 1800 cu in.  So you could buy the 6000 (bag and frame) and 3000 bag only.  Pack all your stuff in with the 6000 and then use the 3000 for day trips.  Each of them have a "load sling" that allows you to carry and additional 2000 cu in between the bag and the frame.  Price-wise, they are not too bad, either - $349 for the 6000+frame and $89 for 3000 bag only.  Check it:

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
Dark Timber,  Either I over emphasized something or you overly focused on the wrong thing :-)

The point I was trying to make was the vast majority of your time and mileage will not be humping elk meat while elk hunting - regardless of your success rate.  Therefore, I would and do avoid the daily burden of a large pack.  

In fact, I do what herdbull and others do.  I use a cheap frame (garage sale) and a nice day back.  Stuff that needs to be dry goes into heavy duty garbage bags which are very useful for all sorts of stuff including a windbreaker and extra rain coat if need be.   And just tie everything on the frame.  Meat ties on the frame easily too in game bags.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Dave...sorry if my response came off brash. That's now how I intended it but after re-reading it I can easily see how it could sound that way.  Sometimes the typed word doesn't always come out quite right   :knothead:  

I definately understand your point of view and obviously it works.  Lots of guy that have more experience and success than I do it that way and have chimed in. I've done it that way in the past as well.

Personally, now I always want to have a pack while hunting that will handle a full load of meat without having to go back to camp (which might be 2 or 3 miles away) and get a meat hauler. I haven't found one that can handle a full load of meat that weighs much under about
4-1/2 lbs and my full size pack only weighs about 5lbs so for the way I hunt this just works best.  Obviously it's not the only way or the best for everyone.  I think Gringol is right on when he said try something and find out what you like.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 11:50:00 AM »
What ever pack you go with make sure that you can stalk quietly and shoot well with it on. You will spend most of your time glassing/stalking.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I usually dump my gear and go on to hunting, but looking at a kuiu 6000 and 1800, harness and frame just switches over to the other bag and 1800 is only around a pound of extra weight.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »
@Rob, where are you going where are you hunting?

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »
Flat Tops Wilderness area, GMUs 25 & 26. Not severe country, but waaay tougher than I'm used to.

After looking around, talking to a few guys & from advice here, I think I might invest in the Cabelas Alaskan Guide frame & strap my daypack & camp kit to it. It does seem like the most versatile option without spending a bunch of money.
I'm planning on this being a first trip, not just a single adventure  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by DarkTimber:
Personally, now I always want to have a pack while hunting that will handle a full load of meat without having to go back to camp (which might be 2 or 3 miles away) and get a meat hauler.  
That was my point too, why add an extra trip? That why i chose a modular system too. Packs can be expensive, but it's an investment thats worth it like good boots/optics/gear!  

Kuiu just had a sale on packs, not sure what is left.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©