3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cast vs Speed  (Read 1194 times)

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
Cast vs Speed
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:03:00 PM »
I ran across a recent thread about being more concerned with cast than speed.  Can someone explain the difference for me?  In my mind I assumed the faster bow would have a flatter cast and a slower bow would have more arch to the cast, or more drop.  What am I missing?  Is cast related to how efficient the bow is at transferring the energy?
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cast vs Speed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:23:00 PM »
Cast refers to how far the arrow carries. Assuming the same arrow,the faster arrow will always go further.

Every now and then I hear about a bow that isn't particularly fast but has great cast. Just doesn't work that way.

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Something to think about . Bow A has a 500 gr. arrow leaving the bow at 150 f.p.s. with 0 lb on the nock from the string . Bow B has a 500 gr. arrow leaving the bow at 150 f.p.s. with 30 lb. of force on the arrow nock . Which has better cast ?

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Ring it Is a non sense. If you add 30 lb of pushing force you will get just ...a faster arrow.
The kinetic energy of the arrow is what make it fly. Then assuming same arrows from different bows, the one which goes further is the one with higher kinetic energy out of the bows.
KE= 0.5 * mass * speed 2
More speed means more energy and more flight ( cast) for a same arrow, and that's all
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
It would seem that once the arrow "leaves the bow" it is on its own and none of the other things matter.  If  A and B are really off the bow at the same speed, they will go near the same distance.

If you mean it takes 30 pounds of force to remove the arrow nock from the string, I'd say that is gonna be one noisy bow with arrow flight problems.

ChuckC

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
If the aerodynamics of the two projectiles are exact and weight is exact the bows are equal in cast but perhaps not in efficiency. The arrow is traveling exactly the same speed so the cast is the same.

God bless, Steve

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
Where are the TG physics teachers to settle this?   :knothead:

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:00 PM »
Speed is a four letter word cast is not! LOL Go figure   :p

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
In the glossary in the back of TBBIV the definition of cast is..."Sometimes the distance a bow sends an arrow, but more accurately the speed of the arrow leaving the bow". There was no definition for speed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Two arrows leave their bows at the same speed.  One arrow weighs 600 grains and the other weighs 300 grains.  One arrow has 5" feathers and the other arrow has 2" vanes.  One arrow wobbles and the other flies straight.  Which will go further?  I dunno, but I can guarantee you they won't hit in the same place, by a substantial margin.  Why?  Wind resistance. The arrow with more inertia (weight), the arrow with a lower profile (vanes), and the arrow that doesn't wobble will have less wind resistance and therefore a greater cast, even though leaving the bow at the same speed.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Hybrid: are you saying that cast is more accurately KE?  Which would make it related to speed but not equivalent.

Pat's  definition suggests they are one and the same, cast is  referring to how far the arrow will travel or the relative drop in flight but that's purely based on speed (all else with the arrow being equal).  

I hear what you're saying Steve, two arrows an have the same cast/speed but one bow maybe much less efficient in producing the same result.  I guess when people are typically referring to cast (or speed for that matter) the assumption is that all of the other variables are equivalent and held constant.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline jackdaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
I always took "cast" to be the flight path of the arrow....i.e. ....trajectory. I believe weight/cast ratio to be more important than speed/cast. Arrow weight..(penetration) far outweighs speed where killing potential is concerned...JMO
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2  BEAR SUPER K  44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
I think "good cast" and "excellent arrow flight" are mutually inclusive terms.

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Speed is what my wife does when she drives the car.

Cast is what is on my arm after she whacks me for complaining about her speed!

:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Dale hit it.

Cast refers to how far a bow will launch an arrow.  It is a distance measurement.

Speed is a measurement of distance traveled over a period of time.  

They will be directly related as a bow that throws an arrow further will move the same arrow faster than a bow with less cast.

Neither means squat if you can't hit what you want.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
It's simple.  Faster bows cast an arrow farther.  Speed of a precisely weighed arrow from a bow with a precisely weighed draw weight at a precisely measured draw length is an immutable measurement.  Bows that have higher speed MEASURED PRECISELY will always out perform slower bows ceteris paribus.

How far an arrow carries gets us into flight shooting.  And there,  how well tuned the arrow is to the bow is much more important than the bow by itself.  So it's possible to have an "inferior" bow "cast" an arrow farther than a "superior" bow with less-well-tuned arrows.  

Flight shooting is a fun sport but it tells little to nothing about the bow.  Flight shooting contests are conducted in varying winds with imperfect (human) inputs.  It's an interesting contest but is not by itself a definitive measurement of how well a bow performs.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 06:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
Speed is a four letter word cast is not! LOL Go figure    :p  
Exactly.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 06:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Speed is what my wife does when she drives the car.

Cast is what is on my arm after she whacks me for complaining about her speed!

:laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:      :laughing:  
Awesome!
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 07:24:00 AM »
Cast is what guys with slow bows like to say.  Cracks me up whenever someone writes, yeah but it casts a heavy arrow well, as if a faster bow wouldn't a do a better job of it.
lll

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:00 AM »
Well if a person doesn't have a chrono and wants to compare two bows, cast is the best way.  I have shot bows that I would have thought were much faster than another, but when they where chrono'd side by side, the one that "seemed" faster wasn't.  Think it went was because the one that seemed faster actually had more hand shock/vibration.  I feel that sometimes a exceptionally smooth bow may "seem" slower that it actually is. That is one reason I don't  put much stock into claims that a bow is faster without a chrono.  

I agree that a fast bow will always cast an arrow farther than a slow bow (given well tuned arrows is each) but don't discount cast as a way to compare bows if you don't have a chrono.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©