3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: single bevel broadhead ???  (Read 268 times)

Offline RIng

• Trad Bowhunter
single bevel broadhead ???
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
How important is it to match the LW with LH bevel . For years I have shot Grizzlyes , I think they were  ground in RH with no option of LH , I have killed many deer with LW arrows and RH bevel .Well the LW arrows stop the rotation of the RH broadhead in the game ? Thank You Rick

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: single bevel broadhead ???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
I think you answered your own question.
lll

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
You can also kill a deer with a stone point but is it as efficient as a modern broadhead? No worries when you run out of RW heads order some LW now that you can get them.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »

"How important is it to match the LW with LH bevel"  

Apparently not important enough for you to be able to kill a deer?  I did it once early on as well, shooting a RW Grizzly with a LW fletched arrow, killing a nice 8 pointer.

If you are into optimization, you'd ultimately want to harness the rotational energy of the arrow and match the BH bevel to that rotation.  No cost in that, other than an excuse to buy new BH's.

Ashby, with no shortage of words or graphs, has shown conclusively the benefits of matching these rotational forces.           :deadhorse:          

Don't forget that there is an affect of the broadhead bevel on arrow flight as well.  In other words, if you had an unfletched arrow with say a LW beveled BH, your arrow would have a LW induced spin do to the BH alone.  Something to consider and think about.

Kris

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:02:00 PM »
All other things being equal when the broadhead bevel is matched with the fletching optimum penetration is achieved.
James Kerr

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
When the right wing Griz first came out, I had a right wing Jo Jan fletcher.  Someone told me with the jj that for right hand shooter it puts the hen feather straight down with a left wing and nocks needed to be rotated after fletching.  With wood arrows that means a prior rotation was needed to keep the grain right.  So I got a right wing, I then learned what a right wing feather can do to a left hand index finger when the arrow runs on it.  I got tired wearing protection tape so I got a left wing jj, I no difference on deer, but the opposing rotations had me doubting myself, so I ordered a bunch of blanks Hill broadhead pieces and parts and made my own left wing broadheads. The penetration and blood trails we got from them left no doubt that something major improved.  Then a couple of years ago my wife ran across an old right Griz left fletch cross.  The deer shot with her 38# Darton jumped at the shot.  The cross winged arrow entered right rear hip traveled through the deer and lodged in the far left shoulder.  I don't think matching the wing would have made much difference for penetration, but there may have been a better blood trail, although the trail she got was plenty good and less than 100 yards long.

Offline Stixbowdrew

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
My dad killed a 250# ten pt in Nebraska a few years back with RW feathers and LW centaur battle axes and got a complete pass thru. But I'll mimic what kris said about harnessing the rotation
All we have to decide is what to do with the time given to us.

www.selwayarcheryproducts.com

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 02:39:00 PM »
There is no doubt hundreds of stories where we have shot opposite fletch/broadhead rotation with great success.  No argument whatsoever. One should note that the stories above (including mine) are on deer.  When jumping up to say moose, elk, bison or African game i.e. buffalo etc. you would certainly want all the potential for increased penetration you could obtain IMO.

If one is selecting components i.e. fletch & SB broadheads, why not match their rotation?  There certainly is no downside to this.  

This is fun stuff, not a burden.  I picture an arrow flying to an animal spinning left (or right) and "drilling"  into that animal consistent with its "in-flight" spin.  It doesn't get any better!

This seems fundamental me.

Regards -

Kris

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 03:41:00 PM »
I need to point out with crossed winged hits, that 'S' cut entry wound was not so obvious as with right on right wing, so I went back to serrating the cross winged arrows with a filed serration stroke on the flat side if the broadhead.  I believe that the initial blood trails were better with the cross winged arrows with the opposing serration.  It made them less of a single bevel, but that also gave the head vertical cutting teeth.  I would bet that with low poundage on deer that a Zwicky Eskimo has as much penetration and cutting ability as a cross winged single bevel.  I was reminded of that this past season, well stumbling around in a standing cornfield after sundown,looking for one of my wife's prize antique barrel tapered cedars with an Eskimo up front that she shot through her buck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©