3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Tips for Turning 60???  (Read 1114 times)

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Tips for Turning 60???
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Well, it finally will arrive next Monday. I officially turn into an old person. :)

Been dealing with something called Bell's Palsy since last July and got the news in December, right before Christmas, that I have prostate cancer. Two trips to Hopkins and more to come. Isn't life grand? :)

Here's what I did to overcome age. I ordered a new hill style bow from John McDonald. How can ya beat that?

What did you guys do to celebrate turning 60?

On another note, after over 18 years of no alcohol, I bought a bottle of bourbon. Yup, it still taste the same. :)
N/A

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Tips for Turning 60???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
Happy Birthday! Good thing you bought the bourbon it is gonna' come in handy. Getting old takes stones I turned 60 ten years ago. Best of luck with the prostate sure hope you caught it early enough.   :campfire:

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:46:00 PM »
Thanks Bjorn. Turning 70 has got to be a bit more difficult. No one knows how much time you have left. I guess it matters how you live the time you have.

Is that a Jimi Hendricks shirt on your grandson? Nice hog pic!
N/A

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
I can't remember, I'm 70.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:00 PM »
Foxbow wrote:
Thanks Bjorn. Turning 70 has got to be a bit more difficult. No one knows how much time you have left. I guess it matters how you live the time you have.

Is that a Jimi Hendricks shirt on your grandson? Nice hog pic!

Foxbo that is my son Adam he is my hunting partner! I was fortunate and had a boy and girl with both wives!
And yes that is Jimi's finest camo! One of my fav pics.

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
Happy 60th to you and yes the age thing catches up with us.  I turned 60 last year and to celebrate, I had both knees replaced.  To many parachute jumps and heavy rucks for Uncle Sam and rodeoing days to follow that. The new knees work great and I can get back after it again. I wish you the best on the prostate cancer, do what you have to do to stay healthy, modern medicine can do some amazing things.  Get through the tough days and look forward to each new day. Buying a new bow is always a boost to the morale so enjoy it, the stick and string is good therapy. Best to you as you work through the prostate bout, you will be in my prayers buddy.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:13:00 PM »
Everything takes a little longer.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
When I turned 60 I went on a self guided Elk hunt. I have some bad knees and cardiac issues but went for it any way. Great time, I just signed up for Social Security so I may go hunt somewhere else to celebrate.....LOL!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
Happy birthday.  My next one is 60.  I plan to be retired till I am 120 so.. only 60 more years to go !

Good luck with the other issues.  Get past them and use that new bow this fall.  John is certainly an ornery ol cuss, but he makes nice bows.

ChuckC

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
It's not that bad, it just takes you all day to do, what you used to do all day. Getting old ain't for the faint of heart ! Just make sure to keep moving and don't give up.
I was 63 when I went on my first self elk hunt, ended up going with my friends boys in Idaho, I was able to keep up, and they didn't take it easy on me, at least not that I could tell. I was on my own during the week, I didn't get an elk, but I learned a lot for my next trip out there.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline habujohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
Happy Birthday!  I hope in three years when I turn 60 I can still do all that I am doing now.  To help I continue to work out regularly, don't smoke and take regular hunting trips with the longbow.
habujohn

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
6o you just a puppy as for the water works thing sorry to hear about that man it six big time.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Bob at Work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
I turn 60 in June Ed...but Bob F. is still older than both of us...  :)
Bob

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Can't help you with turning 60. My memory is shot and I can't even remember my 70th any more   :(
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
I try to do everything I want to do and that I used to do that I enjoy.  Might take a few minutes longer.  Use it or lose it.  Buying a new bow is just what the Dr. ordered.  I did the 14 mile Bataan March Sunday and was just a shade faster than 3 miles per hour.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Happy Birthday.

Tip........live and enjoy each day.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Turned 60 in January , After 42 years doing masonary work I have to admit I'm not the man I once was , I always knew I'd get old just never thought I'd wear out . I used to shoot a 76 # Black Widow and even took a nice Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbuck with an 80# Quillon Longhunter now when my back acts up , which is pretty regular , my 60# bows are almost too much . One thing I find myself looking forward to and enjoying hunts as much as ever , maybe more so . So enjoy the times the Lord has given to you to the full and have no regrets . My thoughts , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Every day's a holiday, every meal's a feast. 60 is just a number. I just turned 67, and I don't feel a day over 66.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Norminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:55:00 PM »
Hey Foxbo, Mon 31Mar, age 60, crap! Me tooo. Wish I was one of those guys that thinks its a good thing for some crazy reason. Knees, backs, hips, prostates! What are you gonna do? This is the time in life that we really do get a chance to try and live in the moment. I have to remind myself daily, just how blessed my life has been till now. Good luck man. Beating those challenges ahead are going to make this falls buck even sweeter. Chin forward and give them hell.....
Norm from Canuckistan.
Norm from Canuckistan

45#,50#,55#,56" Bear Grizzlies
45#,54#,52" Bear Kodiak Magnum
55#,58" Vintage Works 62 Kodiak
55#,62" Tomahawk

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Happy 60th birthday wishes my friend!   Take each and every day one at a time and thank the good Lord morning, noon, and night!   May this birthday be the most fulfilling ever!
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©