3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any Tips for Turning 60???  (Read 1117 times)

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Tips for Turning 60???
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
I'll be 62 in August...60 hmmm....let's see. Oh yeah....fished in the morning, shot the bow for about an hour in the evening, came in, poured a tall Gin, patted the wife on the backside and hoped for the best later on...   :readit:    :laughing:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 09:25:00 PM »
Keep thinking young not old ... age is going to happen, how you deal with it can be a choice.
 Keep active, do what you love and when health issues arise try to meet them head on with a positive attitude. I am 65, I had my left ankle replaced last year and I'll have my right one done this year in May. I still hike, bike, HUNT, and try to think like I did when I was 40 ... I have friends in their 80's who still hunt and steelhead fish in the winter ... growing old ain't for sissies but WE CAN DO IT and still find the passion ... Happy Birthday young fella
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:00 PM »
Now try to make it to 61.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:00 PM »
66 in two weeks.  Odd, remember when you were " seven and a half"?  Now you wil start that half thing again, with pride!
Look around at all your friends that are not here, and live a day for each of them to add substance to your days.  Do the things YOU want to do.  I may retire next year.  Anew bow will ease you into....shooting a new bow and the pleasure of tuning it.  Live it up and never give up
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline wjg686

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 10:38:00 PM »
For my 60th last September, I hired a guide to take me smallmouth fishing. He showed up with a canoe and ONE paddle, presaging a fine day on the water. Since, I have determined to learn to shoot a longbow instinctively. Making good progress with a new Byron Ferguson Woodsman 66" longbow, 46# at my 28" draw length. Sweet, smooth, and fast with 420 grain carbon arrows. I hope for my first bow kill deer this Fall!
Bill

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
For my 60th (in 2010)my buddy picked me up and we went "scouting for geese". Meanwhile, back at the ranch, friends and family showed up to help my bride set out my birthday gifts. For months she had been buying 60 items, 60 of each! (that's 3,600 things). Everything from 60 pennies and little green army men to 60 Twizzlers and balloons. The best was 60 different beers! The only one I didn't care for was the one with a chili in it.
   I just picked up 4 new meds yesterday, two are temporary, two I might be taking 'til I croak.
   Only one thing worse than getting old...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Happy Birthday!! We are close, I am going to be 67 March 30 and my grandson will be 24 March 31/
I was pouring concrete every day into my early 60s plus building bows. I could say now I'm retired. Just building bows and tired. LOL. Getting old is having the time but not the energy. When you are young you have the energy but don't take the time. Not much difference except that you learn to appreciate life a bunch more.

God bless, Steve

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:00 PM »
So far as a tip, don't be afraid to admit you're slowing down a bit, can't lift quite as much, can't keep after it quite as long. I got soo p!$$ed when I first had to get glasses. I quickly came to the realization that this is just the natural order of things. Nothing to hate, just do as much as I can as long as I can.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
At a local restaurant someone my age was celebrating his 62nd.  He said that he had to give up chasing younger women, they were all too fast for him and he couldn't catch them.  Then someone else said,"your wife is younger than you".  The birthday boy said "I know, I can't catch her either."

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 12:29:00 AM »
I turned 60 last fall. I heard on the news the other day that there is a woman in Japan that is legit documented to be 121 yrs. old. So the way I figure I'm only about half way to the end.
My advice? One day at a time.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 12:52:00 AM »
Welcome to the club....pretty good crowd to pass the years with.....

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
I also picked up a bottle of bourbon a few months ago....  Maybe for the same reason, I turn 60 in 3 months.

From the inside I still think I'm 30 but when I look in a mirror I'm startled at who's looking back !

Plus, after many "wrecks" and 4 surgeries, the aches and pains don't go away like they did when I was 30.

But times are wonderful and I am truly blessed.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Happy birthday! Ordering the Hill bow is a great start going into the old age category. Keep doing all the fun stuff you have been doing all along, but just remand ember to go a bit slower. Train diligently, follow the doctor's orders.
Sam

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »
I finally drew my limited entry Colorado Elk archery tag after 21 years.  Spent my birthday in the woods and actually managed to stick my bull that day.  Bad news is it took me two weeks to find him.  Nice antlers but the meat was terrible tasting.

By the way I did that 13 day hunt solo.
T ZZZZ

Offline boznarras

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
I just turned 60 this year so I'm not too far ahead of you.
The things I have noticed is that I can still do what I want, but I have to not take anything for granted, have to do my homework. I went mountain goat hunting last year, and hopefully will go this year, but I exercise every day to be able to do that. There was a time I just grabbed my pack and went.

I am a volunteer fireman and EMT, and work with a much younger group. Another scene where I have to do more just to keep doing it.
Definitely worth the effort.
So far I have been blessed with good health, but I know my turn will come. I guess what I am getting at is focusing on what can still be done and doing it. What I can't do will come on it's own, don't need to welcome it in. I watch my wife fight cancer to a draw over the last ten years, and she still gets out and walks 5 miles a day, gardens, goes fishing with me, and she is 67. A good example for me to follow. She says every day is a gift.

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Turned 62 a couple of weeks ago. Still doing the things I've always done, just a bit slower, and perhaps not as often. Get the prostate thing out of the way. Beat mine at 56. And, Happy Birthday !

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 05:00:00 PM »
Wow! So many replies and so many well wishes. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post a reply. It seems it's for everyone of us old fellows as we're all in the same boat. :) How the years slip up on us. It amazes me.

Bob Ferrell is still older than me and Bob Barnes! Hehehhe! How's your eye doing Bob? Hope all is well for a full recovery.

Everyone, thank you so very much for your well wishes. Here's to all of us making the best of what we have to work with and hope for many more arrows to fly....Ed Carneal in VA.
N/A

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
There's another good thing about this place. I still have 5 more years to go, I feel like a kid!
SWA Spyder

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
Happy birthday!
I'll raise my bottle,of beer and toast you. And send a prayer your way too beat the prostate "C".
Enjoy that bourbon.. And th finer things that life has to offer.
And remember to tighten your butt cheeks when you sneeze don't want nothin slipping out.   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:    :laughing:
jK..

Offline longbownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Hey Ed, Happy Birthday!

I don't recall doing anything to celebrate mine - I think I tried to lay low and hoped nobody would notice, ha ha...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©